What I wish the game to be: A provider of choices

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by AndiZ275, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

Hello everyone,
    since it is highly in the discussion, what this game should be, I wanted to show you, what my dream SotA would look like:

For me, this game should be all about choices (or you could name them virtues, if you want):
    - Do I want to drive the story onward today and face a big evil? Or will I rather do some scenarios again, that I already did, to play them in another possible way?
    - Will I do it alone, with npc companions or with real players?
    - Or do I rather want to decorate my house, lead a store, go fishing or do another craftsmanship?
    - Do I want to bash some other players today?
    - And if no, do I want other people to have the opportunity to kill me whenever they want or not?
    - Do I want to protect those, who don't want to fight, but still live in the PvP World against the threat of Playerkillers?
    - do I want to lead other players into traps and rob them? Or do I try to save other players from such perils?
    - Or will I go exploring today, like going in a dungeon alone or with friends to slay enemies and search for treasures? Or just roam around on the world map and look for exciting new stories, scenarios and locations?
    - Or do something completely different? Like playing instruments, do Role Playing, etc. etc.

I want this game to support all of this. And as much as I've seen, this is what Portalarium tries to achieve and what they call an ultimate RPG. A place, where players have the choice, to play as they like, but face the consequences out of their decisions.

Some examples:
    - You want to truly solo play this game? Then you get the option to play this game in Solo Online or Offline mode. With Tracy Hickman, Portalarium hired an excellent story teller and I hope, they can provide many many hours of story content. But you'll have to live with it, that you can't see other players and other players can't see you in solo mode. This will be your experience, but yours only.
    - You want to build a big house, but don't want to pay rent? Then start an offline game, where you'll be getting this option. But you won't be able to go online then and show it to other players. It will be your house in your own world. In the online world, other players might want your house spot and if a house stays vacant for a long time, it's only fair to give the spot to another player.
    - You want to do full PvP? Then join a PvP Guild, where you can't deactivate the PvP option. You will be attackable everywhere and will only see other PvP players most of the time. But you have to live with it, that some people don't want to see you and become invisible for you, because they want their content without the danger of playerkillers (you won't even recognize, that there may be players around you, that play a totally different game than you)
    - You want to play online and with friend, yeah even a big internet community with living towns and friendly player guilds, that help you fight against a bigger enemy? You may do it, but you have to accept the fact, that you're escaping some really exciting content (that's why Richard wants to give incentives to PvP for PvE fans, for example through chase quests)

I want this game to provide the choice for everyone, to play, what they want to play. And if I could afford the developers pledge, I'd definitely go for this in the development progress. I don't want this game to become only MMO or only solo play. I want it to provide the choice for everyone to choose, what they are going for.

I for myself am desperately looking for a story-wise worthy successor of Serpent Isle, which had an amazing story, a great ton of fun and clever written scenarios, excellent twists and a big threat to face. But I love sandbox games like Mount & Blade or Terraria, too, where I live my own story, build houses, go for quests and do what I want. And I like playing coop with my brother and living in a bigger community. And sometimes, I even like some PvP ;-)

I know, that it's impossible to appease everyone, but Portalarium should stay on his way to give as many choices as possible.
    Cheers,
    Andreas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.