What is keeping me from backing SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MokahTGS, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marthos

marthos Avatar

I'm not sure what the fuss is about with a limited number of houses. If you want a house, you have to earn enough gold to buy one. What difference does it make if you're buying it from a player or an NPC?

If the economy is done right, there's going to be a time when you're personally short on weapons and armor. You'll be able to buy some generic stuff from an NPC, or good gear from player run shops. This type of stuff is necessary to avoid the terrible economy of LOTRO and similar games.

There is always the offline mode as well for those who aren't interested in buying/selling with other players. That's the beauty of having an offline mode. You can buy up as many houses as you want without competition in this mode.

2. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

It depends. If houses aren't a huge sub-system that are a big part of the game, then most players not getting one is less of an issue. It's more a perk for those who aimed for getting one during gameplay or who got one during the kickstarter .

That is fine. Housing is valuable but not having one isn't a huge deal. You aren't denied a major aspect of the game.

If housing is a major aspect of the game (and more importantly in my mind, advertised as such to potential new players), then creating an artificially inflated market (btw, in a free market, people would just build new house if you wanna get all into economics and stuff) is a bad thing. You're luring people in with the belief that can get something when infact the vast majority of players will never have it. It is dishonest marketing and it is unfair. This is a game, not the real world.

Remember to keep in mind the single persistant world, the size of the player base, and the number of plots available, minus those given out at launch. It could be a very tiny number.

But the UO urban sprawl did suck and I wouldn't wanna see it.

On the otherhand, there are solutions. Housing plots will be non instanced, which is good. Each one will be individual in the persistent world. But there is no reason why you couldn't offer some of the perks of housing through the instanced kind in the cities. By creating some large townhouses/insulae-style "apartment" buildings, or perhaps even creating a slum district in a city full of little shacks, you could supply an alternative.

Instanced housing. It'd be small, have less features, but still retain some. And it'd be a "home" a player could get. I think it would be a good compromise and would preserve whatever housing market they are trying to create.

3. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Last information I heard is that all houses will be visible for all players. What has changed there, and where is the link to the statement?

Gunga Din [Pax] likes this.
  4. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

If you're connected online, you'll see everyone's houses, if you're playing purely offline with no online updates to the game you won't see them.

5. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Yeah that is what I thought, man some people have totally no idea. Just spam the boards with a bunch of BS.

Gunga Din [Pax] likes this.
  6. Veratyr

Veratyr Avatar

So we got one thread whining about how everyone should be forced to play PvP (complaining about how people can play on different modes preventing pvp) and one thread complaining that there is any PvP in the game. This proves that everyone cannot be satisfied even by releasing a game that is both single player and mmo and includes 4 different modes of playing, some with PvP and some without!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.