What is this PvP you speak of?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Thunder Chicken, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Knightowl

Andrew Knightowl Avatar

I had a lot of fun with pvp (warrior) Sure i wanted to cut up the epic cloth armor sets (Band-Aids) . I think i gave out like dozen suits i got from adventuring then joined Vengeance on the Island handed out the armor .staffs and wands too whoever wanted to test pvp >It was a Blast really i mean it i was rooted and blasted all over :) Fire Elms where out of control ,Duke keep saying to us kill the fire elms another one gone wild :) at the same time trying to keep the boat pvp free .Who was it again that is making a movie of all this LOL.aye what pvp do not know ?

Khloec, rild and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  2. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I had a loaner, for the purpose of researching recipes for SotACrafter. I only spent about thirty minutes PvPing. :)

3. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

The ghosts mechanism should go a long way toward preventing respawn killing, especially if the resurrection locations are semi-random (like in UO, where you could just run your ghost to whatever wandering healer you wanted). I'd very much like to see a criminality system, though, to act as a deterrent to senseless ganking in the first place.

4. Jebediah

Jebediah Avatar

A criminal / law based system may deter some people, however in UO when I played as a PK I sought after those who would report my murder. Because in a game like UO your murder count became a sort of bragging right. There were also people who took advantage of this and slaughtered the weak to artificially inflate their kill counts.
    On the other hand if they implement a justice system of some sort, perhaps some of those people will think twice about being reported for murder.

5. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I'm guessing you didn't play when higher murder counts led to greater skill and stat loss on death. :p The trick for a criminality system to work is for the punishments to grow more severe with subsequent violations, because the chief idea behind PvP shouldn't be about wantonly and recklessly killing any and every hapless chap one should encounter. But penalties of that kind shouldn't deter PvP. Such a system, balanced well, would be far more difficult than some might imagine (but not as impossible as others might think). Still, PvP becomes something of a griefers vs anti-griefers cesspool all to quickly when the implemented system is simply binary (you're in or you're out). That's actually the perfect system for griefers because that feel their griefing is justified by their victims' consent, and that attitude just drives people who aren't interested in being steamrolled (but who still enjoy the subtleties to an appreciably well developed system, especially if that system can contribute to character development). At the most basic level, a flag based system doesn't really help the players who are on the fence about PvP at all, and I'd rather not see such a potentially rich system boiled down to the lest common denominator--especially if doing so supplies no pretext or context to players fighting players.

6. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Avatar

Would love to see "bandages" implemented =)

Celestial Knight, Jynx and Khloec like this.
  7. Khloec

Khloec Avatar

Yes!! I was thinking same. I always had one running, they could heal or cure you at some perfect moments. That 10 seconds though sometimes counted down to slow. Make it 5 seconds and stick them in the game please :)

8. Jebediah

Jebediah Avatar

I completely agree here and I have a vendetta against the use of opt-in / opt-out systems. If a system (PvP in this instance) is well implemented, balanced, and a functional core to the game as a whole, rather than what is generally seen as an after-thought; that is when it works best and could potentially change the mindset of those once wholly opposed. As the gaming populous grows it becomes abundantly clear that the majority loath PvP due to historical events and are unwilling to give it a shot at redemption due to history continually repeating itself.

Thunder Chicken and Trenyc like this.
  9. rild

rild Avatar

Thanks for the fun battles guys, I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread slaughtered me at least once. Some of you many many more times :D

Wish I'd had more time to practice, but when you're short on time I gotta say PVP is a satisfying experience, even losing at it. Next time, I'm gonna find some pants. The fizzle was too annoying on the ones I had.

Hope to see behavior settings for combat pets like the elemental soon, she flings fire rather indiscriminately - though I think a nice stop gap would be the ability to dismiss / banish her. Though I like making mages deal with the problems they summon.

10. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Best. Out. Of. Context. Quote. Ever.

rild and Khloec like this.
  11. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Avatar

Dance Party!
    [​IMG]

rild likes this.
  12. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That's some serious PvP going on there.