What's the deal with off hand attack??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Belgtor, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

So I was really excited to duel wield weapons but apon gaining the off hand attack skill I noticed something odd. While at first I thought that getting a skill that's only purpose in the game was to allow you to attack with two individual would in fact do so on an auto attack level of play. This is however not the case in this game. I found that you simply gain a skill much like any other then you click and you then get a single attack with your off hand weapon. Now my main question is why implement it in this manner. To me it feels like there is no difference between the duel wielding ability then any other single target melee damage skill.

My suggestion would be to have the skill increase your attack speed by allowing to attack with both weapons in hand. While say reducing your strength bonus damage to say .75 on.

Please let me know you all feel about the dual wielding in the game so far.

Leostemplar, Xail and Sara Dreygon like this.
  2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

It is weird, but I like it.. that glyph has like no delay, so you can cast it really fast and then anything else right after..

This extra glyph makes a dual wielder have to make a good choice for deck building.. if it was just speed increase and damage reduction, or any combo of buffs, it would make a single weapon wielder deck pretty much identical to a dual wielder deck.. simple and convenient for the player that uses it I guess.. but not sure if we should do the 'normal' thing here..

Anyway, that's my 2 cents :)

3. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

control off the offhand equipped item being religated to torch, a bonus, or a only used via a skill has been depressing, in all honesty.... i have lost interest in dual wielding and even 1h and shield. I wish we could right click to use off hand, whether it be an attack, parry, block, etc. but then that is just my personal preference because i like a more active combat system with more control over such things.

4. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

I understand your reasons and will add that I did forget to put some points. Given the skill takes no focus and that you can (quick cast) your next ability due to the no delay on it. However I still think the skill doesn't give the play a good "feel" of the duel wielding. For instance I do think that a use of two weapons should be an active part of the play style. Rather then just an extra button to hit for a little extra damage on top of your other skills.
    If you use a shield you get a passive defence buff from just the shield. While the off hand weapon just sits there till the skill is used. Again the shield gives a passive and active abilities which lead me to believe the reason for off hand defence skill. I'm not sure if this is a solid substitute for a more at least visual pleasing effect.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  5. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Does double-wielding one-handed swords do the same DPS as a two-handed sword?

Fister Magee likes this.
  6. Gix

Gix Avatar

I can't say for sure but the dual-wielding active skill is crazy good. I wouldn't be surprised if it did more DPS, actually.

7. Curt

Curt Avatar

My thoughts: If your strength is higher than your dexterity so should two handed weapons do more damage and if your dexterity is the higher dual wielding should do more damage.

Manerd and Sara Dreygon like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Sara Dreygon

If everything else is equal, autoattack with a single two-handed sword will do more DPS than any two single-handed swords will, simply because autoattack for the dual-welder only hits with the main hand sword, and a single two-handed sword always does more damage than one single-handed sword can.

Leostemplar and Oba Evesor like this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Dual wielding offers quick successive attacks with higher crit chance than two handed (if your using swords) and a much better defense than 2 handed with parry.

kbruder likes this.
  10. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

But it also requires putting points into a bunch of additional skills to do that as well as lowers the damage on all of your weapon glyphs that are modified by weapon damage.

The thing I dislike the most about dual wield is that there is no weapon skill modifier for it. Even if you are a grand master swordsman, your offhand attack will do the same damage with a mace as with a sword.

11. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It's not intended to be as strong as 2 handed. It gives great defense against Melee and does more damage than one handed. It's the middle ground between sword and shield and two handed

FrostII and Fister Magee like this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I tired it a few wipes ago (may have changed since or been fixed) but it was totally worthless to me. Back then the second attack was pitiful and the bonus to parry and such was negligible.

This was even after they changed parry (I think it was parry) on sword size. I tried long/short swords and a dagger... all sucked. I took the skills up to a responsible level too (probably 80ish).

14. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

I agree DEX should affect dual wielding weapons/skills.

Or maybe DEX already does this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.