when did they nerf the repair kits?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dorkish, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

looks like they only repair about 20 points of damage agine sigh one more reason not to play till game goes live don't want to mess the armor up:)

mbomber likes this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It seems to be based on the current rating which is odd. If you repair something in good shape, you get a decent chunk back.

If you want until something is in poor shape, you may only get 10 points out of a repair kit. So you need to constantly check and repair your gear that much more often, which is the opposite of fun.

JohnD212 and lollie like this.
  3. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

It is based on the type of gear.
    A copper mail with maple bindings chest piece will repair 5 points no matter what its durability is.
    A regular chainmail helm will repair for 10 points.
    A founders cutlass will repair for 50 points.

Net and Keira OFaolain like this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Ronan
    enderandrew
    I don't think it is the type, nor the current rating.

I'm pretty sure it is the value of the item.
    More expensive items takes more repair kits, less expensive less.

Since the value of founders gear is usually 0, you get 50.
    Since the value of the chest armore is in the thousands, you get 5-10.

Makes some kind of general sense, but right now its broken due to the fluctuations in items values.
    Please also not that some items change value with durability, so that might affect things.

What I dislike is that I need to do multiple drag n drop etc to repair.
    I'd like to right click whatever needs repairing, select either "Repair-one kit" or "Repair Full" in the drop down, and for Repair Full I want a pop-up with "this will use up X out of your total of Y repair kits with a "never show me this pop-up again" option.

Furious Fist, Net, lollie and 6 others like this.
  5. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

100 gold for one repair kit, that only repairs my augmented heavy plate for 20 points, so it costs 500 gold just to repair it. I mean, SERIOUSLY? That's ridiculous. What makes it even more annoying is the extremely rapid rate of durability loss.

And finally, that last annoyance already mentioned - why do I have to drag and drop 1 scroll on an item? I have a pack with a very very long list and it's almost impossible to drag a scroll to the item.

Why not just right click an item that has "repair" in the menu? Item repair should not have to be so expensive that it's like buying a new piece of armor every 50 scrolls. The cost of armor should be appropriately set to its durability. That durability shouldn't fall apart with 15 minutes of fighting an NPC. And even if it does, it shouldn't have to cost that extreme amount to repair. It would set a precedent to keep lots of new armor in stock to just swap out rather than buy those expensive repair scrolls.

Or they should give crafters the ability to repair without scrolls. What good is a blacksmith or tailor if they can't repair an item they made?

blaquerogue and Keira OFaolain like this.
  6. Alpha Protocol

Alpha Protocol Avatar

Currently a poorly done mechanic. Inventory management, dragging and dropping to craft windows; all quite possibly the highest level of tedium I've seen yet in an alpha. I'm hoping there's some whipping hot interface changes looming on the horizon.

7. silencer

silencer Avatar

Considering that you can currently buy armor with better stats that you can actually craft (which isn't a surprise considering that the crafting system is still in its infancy) in Owl's Nest for 100-200ish a piece, I just replace entire sets when they wear out, its more then enough to earn 5x or 10x what I spend on them (around 1k) through their lifetime.

Weapons on the other hand I use Repair Kits on, but thats because I use a variant that I haven't found sold by vendors for similar peanuts and I tear through them steadily. It is worth noting that at the moment the decay-reducing skills from the Armor trees are non-functional the whole system will almost certainly get tweaked as it very well should.

dorkish and Keira OFaolain like this.
  8. Kuvu

Kuvu Avatar

Correct, the type of item denotes how much repairs are, type as in if its a drop, player crafted or the founder type items.

9. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I hadn't considered buying new pieces of armor entirely rather than 100g repair kits. That really does make sense. However.......being that it's pre-alpha and they want us to test the game, I don't understand why they didn't just set the price of kits at 1g or make armor indestructible for now. It takes 5 repair kits to repair one piece of my plate armor, that's 500g. It really is cheaper to buy it new. I mean, who set that price and why? It's silly, and why frustrate players when you'd rather please them and draw bigger crowds?

We can't amass wealth anyway, because they keep wiping the game (understandably). Make it easy to test, and not spend all our time on very slow and tedious things like repairing and crafting.

10. silencer

silencer Avatar

Yeah, don't bother with the crafted plate armor. You can get an entire set of augmented plate (which has higher stats then the plate you craft) from the Armorer in Owl's head for around 1k, just replace the set once your durability starts getting low.

If I had to guess, this is just a quick pass through and a ballpark number that is pretty much a placeholder. I am going to go out on a limb here an guess that repairs and repairing is part of the crafting/trade skills system.
    In fact, when I think about it, the fact that pretty much all durability decay reducing skills from all the skill trees are not in yet seems to suggest that the entire system is a placeholder. IIRC the next Release should introduce skill checks to Crafting and make the system more complete.

Again, the Tailor and the Armorer in Owl's Head sells better versions of armor and most weapons cheaply.
    You can amass tons of money via simple looting, since weight limits are not implemented, just grab all of the junk you can, that way you can easily compensate for the repair kits you might want to buy should you not be able to find a vendor version of an item. You can also gather anything you can if you are in a zone with nodes or animals, stuff adds up. Also remember that you can sell of hides to the Butcher in Owl's Head for 15g and Ectoplasmic Residues that any undead can drop for 50g to Lord Enmar, also in Owl's head.

Do not bother with the crafting at all would be my advice, even the release notes mention that it is just a barebones framework, which is also why I'd assume vendors sell armor and weapons on the cheap.

11. Furious Fist

Furious Fist Avatar

While we're on the topic, are players able to craft repair kits? Sounds like a potential money maker.

12. silencer

silencer Avatar

Yes, they are.

It's a Blacksmithing recipe currently that requires 3 Iron Bars and 3 Hardened Leather so at the moment it isn't really viable to craft them to maintain your own gear, but well as everything crafting related, its fairly clearly a bare bones placeholder.

Furious Fist and Keira OFaolain like this.
  13. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

which brings full circle with many things in the game craftable.

to craft said item is more expensive than to buy said item from npc.

i do not understand when base value of items when merged with other items that the over all base value of the made items is lower than value put into it.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  14. silencer

silencer Avatar

Again, there is no working crafting system at the moment in the public release. There are no skills, no skill checks, etc etc. I'm assuming the current system was put there to test backend functionality and a placeholder front end was put on top of that for the Release. R15 is scheduled to have the first implementations of the crafting skills, with R14 having the basic functionality for enchantments, providing neither gets pushed.

As such, the current system is raw, unbalanced and not really meant to be actually used as a aspect of the game and what stems from this, no balancing passes were made for the item pricing etc etc.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.