Why are NPC Guards so important? I'll tell you.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's blatantly false.

What I'm suggesting is that walls actually work. Just like you can't target a person on the other side of the map because of range, you shouldn't be able to target someone that has a thick wall between you and them. Please explain where I'm wrong about this.

Yes, I know they will. In the OP explain that sometimes people enjoy PVP but they don't want to be in the 20 foot pool the entire time they're swimming.

For example, what if I went over to Duke Avery's fishing area and killed him over and over again. I have no doubt I could do that. Would that be fun for him? I doubt it. Especially if what he really wanted to do was fish.

By telling people that they can either fish or get spawn camped, that's going to remove people from pvp. Now if you gave them the option to fish near guards. That brings more people into pvp that might consider that less risky.

2. Gix

Gix Avatar

Then your OP would've simply be "Plz fix walls."

3. Drocis the Devious

My OP is spelling out the design concept I believe the developers should be following to make PVP fun for the most people. Which is what our goal should be.

4. Gix

Gix Avatar

How is that bringing more people to PvP when they're not PvPing in the first place?

Our goal isn't to have as many PvP flagged players as possible; it's to encourage people to participate.

You want your "2 foot deep water pond"? Arenas should be designed to do just that by allowing PvP without losing anything and shuffle players around to have as even teams as possible. Heck, let others spectate too so that they can get interested before jumping in the water. You add tiny Colosseums on the town graphic in the overworld to clearly communicate where those arenas are and you set up giant banners within the scene so that people know where to go.

When those players come across PvP exclusive zones, they might be more inclined to try it out because they had practice but "Warning: This place has some nice goodies but you might lose items here! Are you sure you want to proceed?"

THAT'S how you encourage PvP. Straight and simple... that's the only mindset the devs at Portalarium should have across the entire game; not just PvP.

5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

HAHAHAHA - you're pretty confident for a guy that wants to live inside a panic room.

Come on over :rolleyes:

6. Drocis the Devious

See the OP.

7. Drocis the Devious

I don't make promises I can't keep. But that was a hypothetical. My character doesn't randomly walk around looking for people to kill. Although if I'm in a Shardfall and there's an opportunity then I've been known to take that from time to time. Those places corrupt the mind afterall. :)

8. Gix

Gix Avatar

I read it, I disagreed, I asked for specifics, I offered alternatives.

I'm getting a loop; guess there's nothing else to say.

9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

And you had to go and put your face on a COTO painting... now when people harvest your skulls they'll have a nice picture to use as a designated area for stacking all the bones they collect from you. Might be prudent to start checking under your bed before you go night-night in Rat's Nest.

10. Drocis the Devious

I think body parts would be a good item to make stealable from homes once they can no longer be ransomed.

Duke Avery likes this.
  11. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

This is just a waist of the current system. If you implement guards then banning needs to be removed. There are already so many ways of protecting yourself and alls i can muster is that people

Do not want to take time to take the pvp tag off.

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I'm fine
    I think there will be content that need PvP, maybe this is not exactly consensual what I understand from, but also maybe this is necessary to have some more players play the game.
    I didn't mention the many kills, but what you call him.

I did a duell yesterday, 1st run I had no chance, with this experience I build a 1v1 deck, then the other one had no chance.
    Interesting, because he is some levels above me, but CL seems rather op,
    but nevertheless I feel weak against the majority and I guess it will take me another 6 Month to go further.

13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Gix no no Duell, i think what @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos and @Baene Thorrstad talked about is RP inflicted PvP.
    And what I understand from the last postings @Duke Avery is that BDF isnt the Hunter Type, he (and me too) are more of willing to PvP but not to pk or KoS and what he describes is to encourage people to flag but not necessarily to hunt, but to fight aggressors and help those who are in danger by PvP.

I don't think PvP can be ruled, I did a lot of martial arts and read sun tzu etc... War or PvP isn't anything you can rule or have 100% organized.
    This is sandbox versus arena matchgame. You can define the environment where PvP takes place, but every limitation will bother the passionate fighter.
    For those who are willing to flag but are more the defender and protector some environmental limitations or extras like guards are welcome.

What I really dislike is that people go PvP and micromanage their inventory or have crap equip etc.
    Then we can go for no loot at all or no loot able equip and ressourcez, but only gold and body parts.
    This is maybe easier to replace than a +10 Armor or Weapon.

14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol.
    I think its to hard to do a proper reply on mobile for this one.

1 - its hard to do kiddy pool tactics when it comes to .. easing people into pvp, without scaling arenas. ( see warhammer online, daoc, shaiya, wow, league of legends, halo,.. oh wait. Im literally listing every multiplayer game ever made )

Problem is sota simply doesnt have a level system. Agree with it or disagree with it, it limits and destroys their ability to have any type of fair combat. Which means there will never be an easing into pvp, that is protected by game mechanics.
    Technically in a perfect world, only 1 skull people would be in 1 areas.. so flagged early you could fight people your own level. But this simply wont happen.

Basically because everyone wants that 1 god like capless skill system.. pvp options are limited.. making the current one not for everyone.

Im actually both for and against full looting.
    If this is end idea for pvp? Then yea full loot. Simply because it will drasticly shift to an end game feature. ( which exploitation and abuse basically makes it already )
    If they intend to add more pvp features.. then no, full loot is to hard for people starting out, plus it makes it to threatning for average joe. ( less in other case as by time ure late game, everythigs easily replaceable ).

I think the whole concept of pvp POTs is kind of a wastes mechanic already.

Theres 300 some POTs. 200 ish instances. You know what we dont need? More places to try and have fights. I can already flag and go anywhere.. whats point of pvp towns? If you want non stop pvp ... should hangout in a shard fall? Why even have tjay extra step of pvp POTs.. and thrn have a banning function and now asking for guards.. *shrug*.

Imo without changing the mechanics drasticly, and getting rid of this terrible ransom system ( good idea, poor implementation ) theres still a number of things they can do to make some fun pvp mechanics.

Imo one simple one would be to add an arena style zone to focuse pvp. Shsrdfalls r wasted space atm. If there was one zone that forced some sort of large scale teams, and a goal to pit versus each other, life would be more fun.
    Put in a zone, make it red vs blue. Add an automatic virtue glow to people dependant on team. Allow players to walk into a red or blue portal at * entry zone, to pick their team, make it force players to team balance up to say a 2 or 3 person difference ( simply error message if i try to go to blue if its already 6 red vs 8 blue. And put a capture the hill defendable keep in middle. Make the elevation bonuae the advantage. Force this zone to make each kill simply 100 or 200 ransom.
    Boom. Fair. Fun. And actually worth it pvp.

Started rambling but an idea simply like that would probly increase pvp 10 fold. Then would simply come the balancing of skills and such which should be coming anyways. And of coarse this means they would have to have an instance that supports 30+ people, before cloning itself making new one.

Sadly i dont see something ( id think a relativly simple zone would do it ) coming.

Week or 2 from now, will be starting a week- bi weekly announcment of a pvp day. Organized Chaos is growing to point we are going to pick a scheduled day and simply claim a zone, challenging all to come at us for some pvp fun.
    Ill even be paying the ransom costs of my own guildies who join in. Win or loose least itll be fun, till that group of 20 OP, famous PvPers come in at a burst.. or sync issues simply make us call it quits.. but yea this will only keep us amused for so long.

15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I think its about RP and the possibility to attack RP wise and "judge" someone while RP but with game mechanics and/or to attack annoying persons who disturb RP deliberatlely.
    Well thats just my opinion, dunno what BDF think about it.

16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Probly.
    Yet i think its funny people who want a PvP town are also openly complaining about pvp functions inside it.
    That being said, all mechanics still need a lot of adjustments.

Gix and Stundorn like this.
  17. Gix

Gix Avatar

I don't think it's an issue of him being a "hunter" type or a "defender" type but rather that he doesn't want to be in danger when he's not participating yet he still wants to stay in the system.

I argued from the perspective of the "hunter" because the OP only talks from the perspective of the "defender"... it's so easy to make the defender sound like the hapless victim and make the other guy look like a heartless monster.

Not everybody who PvPs will kill on sight; that's not the point. The idea is that it should be straight forward and all you have to worry about is what your potential threats are doing rather than trying to figure out whenever or not the game will let you attack them... you know, letting you attack the same people who decided to be targets in the first place.

The whole point I'm making is that the game already supports consensual PvP of various degrees. If you don't want to toggle your PvP tag on and off, you can leave it off and have the system toggle it for you by going to/from designated PvP areas. You know, when you're willing to get attacked.

Toggling the PvP flag is a risk that appeals to a lot of players (like myself)... a risk the OP doesn't want to take because sometimes he wants to read a book.

Forcing players to RP is the bane of all video game design, RP should be encouraged but it should still happen naturally.

What I'm talking about is increasing participation, not encouraging people to flag. Huge difference. His entire thesis is about discouraging others to engage in combat by using NPC guards.

P.S. - I mentioned duels because you were talking about a "gentlemen's agreement" because that's essentially what it is.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    MrBlight and Stundorn like this.
  18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I have no personal decision about it yet .
    I made a long post before and then my tablet hooked up and the text was gone.
    I mostly agree @Gix... had a long day don't want to write it all again, maybe tomorrow at work when I've time and my etc coffee :D

Gix likes this.
  19. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Stundorn, I think expresso is needed more than regular coffee here. A lot of good ideas on this thread and many disagreements that are well founded. My simple solution of the RP/PVP part only is to allow guilds to declare war on each other since guild alliances are coming. That way the guilds that declare war can establish their own loot rules. I also agree on town guards for those PVP towns at the town owner's expense. R/Boris

Stundorn and Beaumaris like this.
  20. Numa

Numa Avatar

The consequences of the lack of a safety zone for a house is quite clear to me. Without it people won't bother with houses - even crafted ones. And PvP towns will be ghost towns, everybody (except for the really hardcore) will be living in a PvE village. In a sense it's a self correcting problem but ir won't be an outcome that will benefit PvP play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.