Why pVe ??

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Abydos, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Do you think if SotA would be more attractive if it was only PvP?

Personally, I have moments where I ********. I like to stay in town and do things away from the fighting. However, when the adventure call me, I wonder if the experience would be more enjoyable without pve? Kill stupid mega-bit is not really nice to me. The idea of ??a purely PvP RPG Sand box would be really nice to play. What do you think?

2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I agree whit u Wsye. It is true that it would be a little weird at first. But today mmo may be stuck in a paradigm?

3. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

If it's only PvP what aspects would there be to RP? Very few I can think of outside "I'm good I defend this, you're evil you attack that."

4. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

I honestly think SoTA would be a far better game if it were only PVP. But, I do see how that could detract from the quests in the game. The best option is to create safe zones within the main quest arch/storyline and then anything after that is fair game for PVP. Also, as RG described provide some more incentive on the more risky/dangerous routes. We all know the PVE crowd loves blessed sandals and neon hair dye!

5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Well, SotA, first of all, isn?t a MMO.

R.G. and Chris said SotA isn't a MMO but ll be like a MMO.

I just wanted to specify.

6. Sirinan

Sirinan Avatar

@Abydos, I *know* that you have seen the request to not use '********'.

@UA - "We all know the PVE crowd loves blessed sandals and neon hair dye!"

FFS, can't you people say anything about PvE players without trying to make it into a putdown??

7. smack

smack Avatar

Nah, some pure PvE players love risk and reward for it. So not ALL of them like blessed sandals and neon hair dye. Perhaps only the ones you go after are like that? Because you'll find others that are adventuring out in the wilderness, fighting high level MOBs and doing their quest thing.

I love me a PvE game, and I love me a PvP game too. I think there are great benefits to both, especially in a diversely populated world with choices.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

SIRINAN:

I invite you to follow the thread of discusion my friend and do not create Psycho-Drama in this post PLZ !

-- I do not accept your free charge. I think the problem is yours --

Thanks,

What do u think about World whitout PvE ?

SMACK:

Too many PvE players ll leave the adventure whitout PvE option. :(

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

If the game has enough players, really no reason. Mobs are just mobile training dummys.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

A large percent of the player base wants PvE. Some of the story mode will force PvE only. Get over it. People are allowed to have fun in ways you do not like, even in SotA. If there are plenty of people in the game then you will have far, far more PvP players to PvP with than can fit in one instance with you at a time, so you'll be able to have fun your way all the time. You won't even see the people having fun in another way!

11. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Smack:

I agree, I think one of the fundamental things missing in UO was a real story line. I guess many players need that and it does contribute to the game. I mean, I was fine reading the manuals of the early Ultimas. That provided enough of a story for me, but I know in modern RPGS a story is typically incorporated into the game.

That said, I can foresee some difficulty within the main story arch of the game. PK's would potentially camp spawn locations or instance entrances for main plot points of the game. This is a reasonable summation. However, I think parts of the story line will require you or at least provide an incentive to entire a PVP area. Also, I am interested in much of the world outside of the main story arch to be open and PVP areas.

@Trouble:

A large percent clearly wants PVP as well.

12. Sirinan

Sirinan Avatar

@Abydos - How about respecting alternate playstyles, and I'll be quite happy to avoid drama.

Answering your question seriously, a world without PvE sounds pretty sterile to me. If you're any sort of roleplayer, I can't imagine you'd enjoy it.

13. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Maybe a slider so we don't have to see pVe ever. If not they are forcing it on us.

Ask any pVer, Mobs are just as smart as people. How is it fair to force this on people?

I should be able to explore 100% in PVP without ever having to pVe.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You should be able to be all in PvP 100% of the time and only see PvP players. Then you wouldn't ever have to worry about someone else with 100% non PvP.

Almost like people are playing 2 different games.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

@Ultima Aficionado: Yes, I think most of the PvE players are fine with the slider enabling PvP. I know I'll be doing both.

The only way I can see PvP only working (without restricting yourself to a few areas) is if they add some way to play as a monster. Still, there might not be enough people to ensure player run monsters are always available.

16. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

@Ristra

PVP players still have to deal with the environment. PVE is player versus environment. There will be an option to completely eliminate PVP as a play style.

If PvE is truly a play style then why not make it more optional?

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Because you would have to have a player stand in during story line parts that require conflict? Unless you are going to opt out of the story, of course.

If you plan on staying in castle battles and other events alone those lines then I am sure you could make a life of 0 PvE.

Now how much content would be available to you if you did this would certainly be of concern.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Sirinan

Sirinan Avatar

@Acrylic - You're essentially asking to remove the environment, so all you are doing is fighting other players. This is like just fighting in an arena, for example, and I was under the impression that most PvP players are after more than that.

19. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I don't think PvE can be eliminated entirely but pulling mobs less easily in PVP mode is a valid request. Less aggressive random mobs ect...

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

@Sirinan, Acrylic 300 is making the point that the non PvP crowd is an extreme of 0 PvP. While the full PvP is still getting the same amount of PvE as everyone else.

The 100% PvP crowd should have that option. It will end up cutting them out of the rest of PvE elements too though.

100% non PvP, must opt out of the arena, it's all PvP in there.
    100% PvP, must opt out of story driven elements that require an NPC to be engages to progress the story.
    (can't have PvPer fill in for the NPC as we don't know if they will afk and give the easy win)

Emptying a dungeon of MOBs for players set to non PvE might be a little tricky.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.