Why You SHOULD Invest in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fireangel, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Please, no negative jumpers into this Thread. Use this as your Recruit point.

My personal reasons:
    1. Ultima 7 was my introduction to addiction/love for video games. Before that, I did not understand why people used such wonderful machines to play games.
    2. Ultima Online was the best gaming time in my life. I loved the Virtues, the Avatar, Lord British [had no idea he was based upon a real person with that nickname at that time], and the 'world' of Britannia. I found a guild that stood for the Virtues, and I absolutely had a blast.
    3. Richard Garriott [remember, these are my personal reasons, not yours] came up with the ideas of Ultima, as I learned long ago, and so I became a fan. He's not my 'idol' -- no one is -- but I am a fan, and I've come to think of him as not only a man with great ideas, but as a nice guy.
    4. Invest in what you know. Did you play any Ultima game? Did you like it/them? Give as a thank you, and a hope for something as good from SOTA.
    5. Invest in what you know - again. Are you a gamer? If you're not over-the-top excited about Shroud of the Avatar, give a small amount for now.
    6. Be a part of history. What if you'd had a chance to help create Ultima Online, and skipped it?
    7. Help make a great game! The 'Team' is on a tight budget, which makes putting what good ideas [not ALL ideas, but the good ideas, and yes, 'good' is debatable, but that's for another Thread] the potential Players put forth into Episode 1. More backers = more options, so if you don't contribute, you're part of the problem if the game isn't as good as you had hoped.
    8. Corporate funding is bad. Crowd sourcing is better! The track record for Ultima 8, Ultima 9, Ultima Online, and later, Tabula Rasa, had corporate funding and changed Richard Garriott's games from what he envisioned them to be. Give to get the game Richard Garriott wants to make -- the 'Ultimate RPG'.
    9. Are you spending $100 on the latest coffee machine (or something similar)? If you like video games as much as you like coffee (or the similar something), you should be happy to help make one. :D
    10. Have your ideas included in Shroud of the Avatar, and be proud. The SOTA Team is crowd-sourcing for assets built in Unity. This includes art, 3D objects, music, dungeon packages, outdoor packages, items from all scene types, housing, quests, etc.! You keep your rights, you get paid, your work is in the game. You'll be proud, because you helped make the game a success.

Sir_Tim, rild, BillRoy and 6 others like this.
  2. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

1. Lord British - I believe in him and his vision. He's been a leader in this industry for over 30 years and has designed the path that other game designers now walk by stepping out of the box and doing things differently. He's a risk taker in his work but everything he touches turns to gold IMO.
    2. Ultima Online - This game has been a huge part of my life. It got me through some very rough times and introduced me to people who are my friends to this very day. It touched me in a way no other video game has been able to do since and I look back on those years fondly.
    3. The New Beginning - I think SotA has the ability to be a trend setter much like the Ultima series had been. All these new concepts being used I am certain will mark the way of the future in gaming; especially selective multiplayer.4. A Foot In The Door - For many of us, this game is a foot in the door into the gaming industry by submitting assets that may be used in SotA. It's quite an incredible thing to have something like a Richard Garriott game on your portfolio.
    5. Crowdfunded - This seems to be turning into the wave of the future. Companies like Portalarium are finally able to put out games they want to put out without a publisher telling them no or putting them on unrealistic deadlines which end up making the game less of the vision the company had in mind because there wasn't enough time to get it all done.
    6. The community. You guys are awesome. :)

3. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

11. All you need to do is a $10 guilt pledge now, and you'll have access to all kinds of backer rewards that will be unatainable after launch.

BillRoy and Fireangel like this.
  4. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

12. They are tailoring to a very specific group of people so server pops will be very low.

5. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I'd have to refute this. It seems to me that SotA is trying to cater to as many groups as is possible without sacrificing game quality (including RPers, PvPers, and PvEers).

6. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

And on that part I'd agree. But the only folks who are interested enough to invest and then play are the Ultima faithful. And thats a dieing group. Others will see other games that offer the same thing only better as they have a bigger budget.
    Sure you'll have some that are curious but in general you will have limited interest. As I see it this will be a decent niche game and if they can survive on just that, great.

BillRoy likes this.
  7. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Discussions are fine, but please don't derail the Thread. Thanks. We don't know who SOTA will draw in, and that's the truth. Some are here who have never played an Ultima game. Others I know, who are long time Ultima game players, including Ultima Online, haven't come in yet. Who exactly has pledged? We don't know. This thread is for your Recruitment Point(s) please. Thanks.

rild, Mystic and BillRoy like this.
  8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

*I think the number count might be off track now.lol

One more point.~ Created by the "Father of modern MMO's", the one who started the ball rolling and who's origional MMO is still being played to this day when so many others have faded into the mists of time. Ten dollars isn't much to invest in something that could turn out to be very special, you've spent more on less.

**No need to bring up EA and game changes, it doesn't change the basic fact that UO is still running.

9. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Guys, keep this on topic. This isn't the place for debate or discussion on these things.

10. Tizon

Tizon Avatar

Hello everyone!
    This is my first post in these forums, and I just wanted to let everyone know why I pledged.
    I bought UO back in 1998 while I was a sophmore in highschool. I was involved in our schools RPG club and played in Magic the Gathering tournaments. I was mesmerized by UO but my gameplay experience early on was dampered by the fact that we had a modem connection that was always getting knocked off by family members, and my 486 computer seemed to barely run the game. So after about a year of agonizing UO gameplay, I dropped it... little did I know that my little brother faithfully continued playing for many years to come. Fastforward to 2005, I decided to let my little brother move in with me, sure enough he was playing UO on some shard and I was blown away. Next thing I know I was full into it again, spending hours and many late nights on UO. Lots of Good Times. We ended up moving away and my brother and I went different directions. I guess it was about early 2012 I got a new computer and wanted to see if there was something that could fill the gap that was the old UO. I started researching about UO and found out about Richard Garriot and watched his interviews with Markeedragon. I was inspired to hear about his plans, but it seemed distant. Then here we are today, I found out about SotA and saw the awesome success of the campaign and I felt that deep in my gut I needed to back this. Even though I am currently unemployed I managed to pledge at the Founder level. If I could I would pledge more. I'm so happy to be apart of this campaign and have been trying to refer many of my friends.

rild, Fireangel and BillRoy like this.
  11. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

U7 and UO introduced me to the concept of not just "open worlds" but "free worlds" and I was addicted after that. I played heavily till about senior year of college when life catches up with you and your trying to get ahead in work after college. Been able to pick games back up recently and was largely disapointed in what modern "RPGs" were passing off as a "Role Play" game. Classes and restricted interaction with other players. No ability to PvP or the other extreme no RP consiquences for those that PK.

I greatly missed the open PvP and free roam of U7 and UO. I kept an eye out for RG searching his name from time to time to see what he was up to. Finally SotA was announced and I look forward to this game helping kids tramatized by bad RP games learn how to RP. Especially for the one that are anti-PvP and the ones at the other extreme that are PK'ers. Both of them need to learn open PvP can work... it has before and they will see it will again with SotA.

Most of all... Im excited about the exploring. in U7 there were so many little eastereggs and quests hidden out-side of the storyline, and many tied into it(at least in some part). I spent many hours not playign the story line and just exploring the world they made. Fantastic.

rild, Tizon, BillRoy and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.