World Map update

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Rae Averille, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Rae Averille

Rae Averille Avatar

I read the post on what to post where in the Wishlist forum so hopefully I am posting this in the correct spot, if not kindly move it to the appropriate location. I searched this forum without finding a similar topic but my search skills are not great.

I recently returned to SotA, early June this year, and I noticed that the World Map is not accurate. Are there plans to update the map to make it better reflect the state of the Overworld?

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What is not accurately displayed?

3. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

@Rae Averille,
    The maps on the website that you referenced (https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/) are out-of-date and, i think, they are no longer maintained. That web-based map system was the initial way maps were implemented. However, the devs slowly integrated that web-based map system into the game. So now, the maps can be accessed from within the game, and the in-game maps are mostly up-to-date and are actively maintained.

@Ravalox If the web-based maps are not going to be maintained, then perhaps they should be removed?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  4. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Have you looked at it recently Anpu? In terms of POT placement its several years out of date

Only reason I use it still is there is no way to view the map in game from within scenes

5. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Please don´t remove them until AFTER the new map is in the game and working. Even obsolete and without the island of Mistrendur the SotaMap is still helpful for the areas where ingame currently no map is available but before was.

Belladonna Rose likes this.
  6. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Fair point...so, then perhaps the option described below?

@Ravalox,
    If the web-based maps are not going to be updated but will be kept accessible for players who still use them, then i think a notice should be posted on the web-based maps that states something like "these SOTA maps are outdated and not maintained, but are preserved for historical reference. Please use the in-game map system, which is actively maintained and contains the most current maps."
    The outdated map system may be frustating to new players who do not know it is outdated, and it may give an impression that the entire game could be outdated and not maintained.

7. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Mentioning that the ingame mapsystem is maintained while a lot of ingame maps do not yet exist - or did exist once but no longer work and have not yet been replaced - could result in the same assumption...
    The maps that have already been replaced DO look pretty and no longer like a modern topographical map but there are still a lot that still miss.

8. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

The caveat in my previous post was meant to be displayed only on the web-based map system, so that if someone finds the outdated maps, they are informed that those maps are obsolete. There is no need to display the caveat within the in-game map system.

There is nothing in the caveat that states that there are still some in-game maps that are missing, so if the caveat is shown only on the web-based maps, then it should not engender any concern regarding missing in-game maps.

Addendum: this web-based map issue is related to a recent thread about outdated links on SOTA platforms: Dead outdated links looks bad

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    Rae Averille and ConjurerDragon like this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah that I am aware of. Even my POT is not shown on that offline map sadly.

That is a very good point. We do not have such functionality in game to do that currently.

On the web-based map: I don't even get what the point of what it currently is. It does at least provide a map of Adventuring Areas, NPC Towns and a few PRT Towns on the Novia continent (that is at least helpful, useful and informative). Listing very old POT but not all of them does feel not too useful, or helpful and not very informative (as it does not show all current POTs). Also it does at least allow you to actually view the World Map while in a scene.

I don't currently know if they even have a plan for this or not(?), since development resources are very limited.

Scanphor and ConjurerDragon like this.