Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

World (travel) Map, driving me NUTS!

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Azurafox the Moon Dragon, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azurafox the Moon Dragon

Azurafox the Moon Dragon Avatar

The idea of a smaller scale, condensed, zoomed out map to travel the world is a good idea. However, it's driving me nuts and right now I'd just prefer to go to a moongate and pick a destination...

The problems I'm having are when moving my little character on the map. A lot of the time, it gets stuck and seems to only want to move in one direction (usually the opposite direction of where I'm trying to go). And when I'm clicking around trying to find out where the right spot to click is, often times it starts moving in a direction I don't really want it to, and I can't get it to stop until it apparently arrives at wherever it thinks I clicked.

On top of that, half the time that I'm clicking around trying to get unstuck, I find myself sitting at a loading screen for "Hidden Vale: Hills"... omg I hate the hills. It's the same map everytime and there is nothing useful there. I just turn right back around and go back out and hope that when I click to travel on the world map again I don't get another loading screen for the hills. A confirmation dialogue would be great.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if it's just unfinished, but in it's current state it's enough to make me want to log off and do something else out of frustration.

As far as suggestions goes, I don't really have any. I don't know anything about coding. But I'd almost prefer there just be moongate in every town and outside every dungeon. It wouldn't take away from anything considering the world map doesn't take much time to travel across the world anyway. It would just add convenience and reduce frustration.

fumblefingers likes this.
  2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Um, no to a moon gate at every interesting location....that isn't a fix.

They plan on adding a lot to the map such as random encounters.

3. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I love everything about the overhead map... except what the OP mentioned about your avatar floating around on it's own once you click a destination. I feel like I've lost control and I'm watching the game play itself. I sit there passively while my icon tries to find it's way to where it thinks I wanted it to go. It seems that would be an easy fix. Just let us control the avatar/icon with the WASD keys manually (see: old Ultimas).

Kaisa and tekkamansoul like this.
  4. Azurafox the Moon Dragon

Well I wasn't trying to imply it was a fix. I was saying that in it's current state I'd prefer a moongate, because the map is horrible atm, imo. I love the map idea, but hate the functionality of it currently.

fumblefingers likes this.
  5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think that when the devs manage to make the world map a Zone, walking around on the overworld map will work differently and feel more natural.

Kaisa likes this.
  6. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I agree right now the overland map kind of sucks. However this is still a very early version of it. There are still lots of stuff that still needs to be worked on and I think once it is done it will be much much better. One thing I personally hope we will see soon is the ablity to turn the hexes on and off. Right now they are off and for me at least it makes the map more difficult to navigate and really see exactly what scene you are clicking on.

7. Skwal

Skwal Avatar

Aaaah yes, pre-alpha testing comes with frustrations :)
    I agree, that map didn't get much love from the devs yet, but at the same time I guess it's not a priority.

8. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

According to the release notes they planned to do stuff with it but instead decided to focus on more combat abilities, bumping it to probably R11.

9. Azurafox the Moon Dragon

In that case, I'm glad they put it off because I'm really enjoying the combat.

I understand this is early pre-alpha and we are to expect lot's of unfinished and unimplemented features. However I don't understand why the avatar isn't free to move around with 360 degrees of movement. It seems theres only 8 directions of movement and maks traveling feel like its 1995. I don't know anything about coding but I just assumed that the base system for movement was better than what it is on the map.

I look forward to seeing how they devlop it and I'll be patient :)

Kaisa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.