Yay to Dbl-Exp Potions - NAY to Dbl-Exp Weekends

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by idaniod, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

Let me start by saying that I don't really care one way or another about dbl-exp …

Here is how dbl-exp weekends affect me:

Lots of people are absent because they are 'saving' up for the dbl-exp weekend - causing more emptiness.
    I am less likely to login until the weekend because anything I do when it's not the dbl-exp weekend is a waste of time because it is less effective.

However, if instead of the weekends people were given dbl-exp potions - they can use them when it's convenient for them/me to use - enabling us/me to play how and when I want.

When I heard someone suggest the potions - I found myself wondering why this wasn't being done .. (not sure who originally suggested it - sorry)

So to sum up …

Yay to Dbl-Exp Potions..

and NAY to dbl-exp weekends..

Thank you for your time :)

2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

This I support.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I like this idea. Perhaps a compromise would be to have both as an option

Potions + 2 x XP weekends . Would work like a buf that is applied ..if buff is on during 2 xp weekends you cant use potion...or you can use it but it doesnt apply anything .

The only problem i see is how would we get these potions ? If bought ingame with coto many will probably scream pay to win ... maybe as stretch goal reward from telethon ? 3 potions to use whenever we want each giving 24h of 2 x XP .

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  4. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

What's the need for a compromise Elrond? As i think through it, double XP is an incentive to play. It was implemented as a gift, or a bonus. If that incentive were made specific to an individual through potions the player(s) have more opportunity to play the game in their own time and style. (this i like)

As it stands, double XP weekends seem to mostly drive player volume within a given time frame. This seems to focus people on being there for that time only. Not sure I buy the concept of not logging in unless it's a double XP time, but it seems many others do.

Having both would spread a lot more double XP around, but to what end?

I guess i'm trying to understand what problem we're trying to solve.

Fenris

5. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

There are a few downsides to double xp weekends. I am not saying these outweigh the benefits, but here are a few off the top of my head -

1. Some avatars don't play much on weekends and play more during the week. I am one of those probably rare few, but we do exist and do not see much benefit of double xp when it always on the weekend.
    2. Double xp on the weekends has definitely affected the in game population during other times - it certainly feels lower now during the week. I am guessing people are saving their playing time for when it is most efficient, and therefore see playing during the week (normal xp) as a waste. So it makes playing during the week a bit more lonely.
    3. Player run events during the weekend tend to take a bit of hit, as it is more difficult for players to be pulled away from double xp to join an event.

I think there are better ways to solve the grind problem than with double xp times, but I get it is a fairly easy thing to implement compared to more systemic fixes. However, if double xp stays a thing, I would be very much in favor of a non-tradeable/non-sellable xp potion, as they would seem to alleviate some of the issues double xp weekends currently bring. Of course, they would need to be given to all player accounts so it is not seen as paying to win (e.g., if they are a stretch goal, everyone receives the potions if the goal is met, not just people who donated money).

I would hazard a guess there are a lot of tech issues and edge cases to be thought through for xp potion though, so likely a lot more difficult to implement than the global switch they flip to turn on double xp now.

6. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I´m all for the idea of 2x XP Potions, however unlikely it may seem, BUT, regarding quoted stament:

Several people claim this, but its simply not logical and not true.
    People dont just stop playing on a weekend because "its less effective" , if they do, they will be automatically be making themselves less effective. And lets be real here, MOST people have extra time to play during the WEEKENDs.

For myself, i just Farm and mine during the weekdays, and the only thing that i have changed is that i save all kind of mass crafting for the weekend. And if people stop playing because its "only" 1x xp during the week, well then they are shooting themselves in the foot, because those who play during the week get 50% more xp than those who dont.

Witcheypoo and Elrond like this.
  7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

I can now sympathize with Portalarium.

They introduce something that’s supposed to be of benefit for all and instead of thanks and appreciation, they get multiple threads of finicky complaints and whines.

You guys are incorrigible.

To paraphrase @Chris ”This is why we can’t have nice things”

-_-

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

I agree, I started to notice it's a problem now too. Nobody wants to do anything except on weekends.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  9. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Maximum exp achievable is 1.25m an hour, what if some people like me can still get that much without double exp? Then your point become very invalid.

Also this is like the only event we have in game. Can we please not let it go?

10. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

HOW DARE YOU have a life when it comes to SOTA!

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Not everyone can, and catering to the top 1 percent of players is a reputation SoTa already has so we should avoid it.

I agree we should have more in game event, but double xp potions would be super useful, because those of us that work weekends, it would
    give us a chance to earn xp when we can play, not just when everyone else can.

CatherineRose likes this.
  12. DavidDC

double exp potion is a nice way to kill the game yes. If you think people only play week end for dbl exp, with exp potion, u gonna see the population go down to nothing fairly fast. Go read comments about games that have exp potion (PAY TO WIN!)

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

If you look over the history of this game, the population has remained remarkably stable, with steam users being between 100-300 and up to 5-600 on average over the entire 4 years data is reported. So I'm really skeptical the game will suddenly "die" due to shifting dxp weekends.

Are you playing the game because it's fun or just to get double xp ?

And dxp stuff can drop right ? all the best items in the game you have to buy somehow, right ? And you can buy COTOs and make them IGGs, so... we already have PTW if that's what you wanna think

14. DavidDC

Im playing because its fun, i dont go exp on week end cause i dont care about exp. BUT i do know what exp potion do to game. And this game clearly doesnt need that kind of attention.

Witcheypoo and Arradin like this.
  15. Guppy

Guppy Avatar

Instead of a potion, how about a 2 hour timer that starts when you visit the Oracle for your 50o gold (oh I mean to check how you are doing with your virtues).

Adam Crow, Thwip, Witcheypoo and 2 others like this.
  16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What they could do (to take potions out of the equation), is make it a blessing that lasts for X number of days, and is recived from a NPC, one time . You can speak to them when you want the blessing. I would obviously speak to them on Sunday night after work.

Place the NPC’s in all Virtue cities.

And of course come up with an appropriate blessing name. Like Obsidian Blessing of PHAT XP...

Witcheypoo likes this.
  17. DavidDC

thats actually a good idea heh

18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I like that as well.

19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Double XP weekends is killing in game events.

Make them potions.

20. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

or ..as iv said many times, make 2x the normal rate :)

Thwip, Witcheypoo, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.