Soooo... when is archery going to be nerfed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hawkwind_AtlanticUO, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

But you can use blades along with shield. :D. And being hit in a melee is not so serious when you don't fight boss or when you wear heavy armor (even without the armor skills). And most of the enemies have ranged attacks that archers have to deal with too (mages and archers)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Chatele likes this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

You can hit everything without chasing it with ranged. You can avoid all melee damage. You can wear heavy armor so hits arent serious

3. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Good thing there isn't any archers or mages in game.

Montaigne and Hornpipe like this.
  4. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Wearing heavy armor (on top of arrows) dramatically increase the weight in the inventory when being overburdened decrease both your movement rate (bad for kiting) and your dexterity (bad for offensive and defensive abilities with bow). Melee doesn't need much dexterity and using ranged weapons with a heavy armor in melee doesn't make much sense :p

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Chatele likes this.
  5. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Right now I don't think any of the skills need to be nerfed for PVE... but Melee need some love in PVP.

6. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Looks like OP might of trolled everyone and bowed out.

amarious, Solazur and Retro like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

hehee, I wear heavy armor and refuse to use light armor as an archer (tried it, it was terrible), its to weak with far to many negatives. Ive yet to see a real case that standing my ground as an archer tank is any better then trying to kite in this game.

In fact, I generally think people who think archers in this game... right now need to use light armor and run around a lot are sticking far to much into archer archetypes from other games that dont work well here how SOTA is designed.

The Rise:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/252862545

8. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I wear light armor and do pretty good.

This isn't great but I wouldn't call it terrible.

Montaigne and LordsOfSkulls like this.
  9. LordsOfSkulls

LordsOfSkulls Avatar

i am actually new player, and i seen couple pvp videos of stealth people hitting for over 600+ damage... with 1 shot.... with daggers/swords

10. LordsOfSkulls

LordsOfSkulls Avatar

how do you get Rapid Fire to charge up so fast? or is it because of a crossbow?

11. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I am stacking, not charging Rapid Fire. Light Armor specialization helps with that.

12. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

13. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Completely disagree, its an example of ineffective archer gameplay. Its not good way to kill mages with this style, also never would work on the undead upstairs. Archer its about leather armor, in worst case bone. Multishot+ring of fire+chainlighting would kill all mages in 30 seconds may be faster. And the main damage dealer is multishot here. Which is "ineffective" but deals 600 dmg on a single target with proper conditions if it stacked.

Barugon likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

If I am not wrong leather armor is considered light armor also in this game.

Synergy Blaize and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
  15. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

I dont mind if my bow gets nerfed, as long as you dont change leather armor any i will be fine.

16. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

So I see some really defensive posting and quite a few uninformed posts in this thread. If you want actual in game facts however it doesn't get easier than comparing my plate/melee to my brothers bone/archery. We leveled together and he has now sailed past me to nearly 80 while I'm sitting at 75.

Let's talk about a popular hunting spot, the rise. In the mage room my brother has the luxury of standing near the door and picking off targets one by one, he melts them and picks up millions of exp and blue/yellow/artifacts. Now let's talk about a melee experience in this room with plate/sword and board. I have to approach my targets to get their attention so pulling one at a time is often a luxury I don't have (yes I know I could use a bow to pull but this defeats the purpose of being a melee so I won't entertain the idea for the sake of pure comparison.) What usually happens is I end up with two on me, so I don't have ranged DPS which means I need to retreat far enough to make the mage teleport to me. With magic resistances being pretty much broken and my character simply not putting out the extreme DPS his does I am lucky if I survive this encounter.. by the time I've managed to kill one of these mages maybe two my brothers archer has ended the entire room.

There are a few things I could try. Stop using a shield here, use bodyslam instead of shield bash while doing so to interrupt the 200+ damage death beam crits. Equip a bow on the other deck and pull stuff.. but I honestly think that is a stupid solution because if I am going to the trouble of using a bow at all I might as well just use a bow and DPS them down quicker.. it's like saying the solution to keeping up with an archer as a melee is being an archer... It's pretty stupid.
    I have yet to try a two hander here so allot of this comes from my experience with sword and shield. This has been the experience the whole time we have played together though, he just constantly outclasses me in PVE with kiting/distance/aggro advantages. He is even able to bring down SIEGE BOSSES those things kill me in like 4 hits r52 probably 1 in r53.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You have some good points but I dont think your conclusion match's. I've said it many times, Archers are easy mode for PvE (exactly as you say, its easy to just sit around and pull without chasing stuff down), but its still not the most powerful by far. For example, its ability to kill multiples quickly is far lesser then most other melee or magic builds.

But even when I was earth/bludge I could easily pull with earth arrow in the same way.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  18. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Sounds like he might be putting in some time when you are not. You should be sharing XP if leveling together

Comparing Ranged with sword and board is not a good comparison. There are melee builds that can pull the entire room and AOE them down. Sword and board is not usually known for its high DPS. Have you tried dual wielding?

There are counters to this and their fireball that is not exclusive to Ranged combat.

The two of you should go to the dining room that is full or archers and fighters and see who does better there. Each spec has their strength and weaknesses.

Hornpipe likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Do you mean Rapid Fire?

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What are the counters? Fire resist doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe it reduces the DOT duration but Douse and water buckets immediately put it out anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.