Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Suggest Moratorium on New Combat Mechanics until Most Current Bugs Get Fixed

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by Jaanelle DeJure, May 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Here is a Google Spreadsheet outlining the current known bugs affecting skills.

Though I get just as excited as the next person about all the cool new mechanics coming up, I really would ask the devs to consider resolving most if not all of these bugs before implementing them.

amarious, Retro, Bow Vale and 4 others like this.
  2. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

Wow that's a lot! I knew of some but not that many. Perhaps they will all get fixed with the new mechanics? Perhaps it takes a new mechanic to fix the issues? Not sure, but I like your idea and list of known bugs. Thanks!

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  3. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    I'd be open to a complete feature freeze and dedicate a whole release to nothing but bug fixes.

smack, Retro, Bow Vale and 3 others like this.
  4. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

@DarkStarr @Chris @Lord British

Can we can a link to this spreadsheet in the "Known Issues" section of the Release and Patch notes so that current and new players have a better idea of what to expect with their builds?

5. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

While there are actual bugs listed here there are lots of suggestions and misunderstandings included as well that makes the scope of the problem look larger than it actually is. If you look at our release notes we fix a ton of combat issues every single release.

6. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Many of those are not bugs at all, many are just people not understanding a skill or not being happy with the way a skill works. You can't make a list of bugs that are in fact complaints rather than bugs.

The problem here is we don't have enough solid info on many aspects of the game (including how some skills are meant to work) so people assume things are bugs when they may well be working as intended.

I understand the devs want some mystery to the mechanics of the game but I think at this point it may be time for much more clarity on both game and skill mechanics.

Daigoji Gai and Bioxide like this.
  7. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

To be blunt, there are alot of real problems. Playing the game with an attempt at a open mind you will see them.

8. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

The item in that spreadsheet about Gear Damage - is working as intended. See the player guide here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub#h.xrxsqluiw86e

Avatars will not remain ghosts indefinitely. When players die, a timer appears to show how long before automatic resurrection will be triggered. If no other action is taken, a slain Avatar will eventually, automatically be resurrected at the entrance to the current scene. This is extremely taxing to mind and body, especially to Avatars who have been in New Britannia longer. A veteran Avatar who is automatically resurrected in this fashion will not only return to life with low Health and Focus, but with a sizable temporary penalty to their stats. The physical shock of resurrecting in this fashion inflicts a 5% durability damage penalty to all equipped items.

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I've felt the dev's have done fine with producing content and fix bugs over the years. I think they can do so. In fact, when there have been major issues they have shifted a lot of focus to them to fix as we have seen this month with the 98% bug. No reason to just "shut everything down" especially when there may be only 5 expert on the team to fix things. The artists can continue on doing their things (like building zones and new ornate to sell to keep the lights on). But that is a key right there, no matter what happens, they will always need to create content to sell every release, that is just a function of the way they have built and developed this game. We have been paying for it as they develop it.

Barugon likes this.
  10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

A "real problem" is something that stops me from playing. While there are some minor issues here and there, none of them are really blockers right? The biggest being the 98% bug right now which they are clearly working their butts off to fix. The skinny is that there is so many vastly different things to do in the game that I can completely avoid things and still fill my time up. For example, Im still not doing the story line, Im waiting for it to have a few more iterations.

But other then that, I played a ton over the past 5 days, do everything I need to do and rarely if ever run into anything that gets in my way. In fact, I just play the game now and theres very little getting in my way and Im now finding that I am having a lot of fun playing now with very few negatives.

Daigoji Gai and Barugon like this.
  11. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Not really arguing anything that has been said here, however it is often difficult if not impossible to tell when things are "working as intended" or not. We've been asked to write it up as a bug report when in doubt.

@DarkStarr While a portion of those are not technically "bugs" if you look in the "global" section of the spreadsheet there are enough things in there that dramatically affect combat across the board.

Right now, we are engaged in a "pvp competition" the winners of which who will be rewarded with temporary positions of power and influence. Yet- many of the skills that would ostensibly be critical to pvp- like say Dodge or Opportunity Strike- just to name a couple, actually do not work like they are supposed to.

No - The game is not in dire straits. Yet about 25% of the skills are not functioning correctly. We can sit here and argue semantics about what is or isn't a "bug".

Or we can just fix the broken problems.

I'd bet 80% of this can be cleaned up within a week if you set your minds to it. ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    amarious, Retro and Bioxide like this.
  12. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to take such a confrontational approach but please don't throw around words like "denial" and "kneejerk" so casually. No where did I deny there were bugs and as I stated we fix as many issues as we can every single release. If you actually read my release posts there are at least 20+ issues fixed every single release. The only time we are not fixing combat bugs is if we are working on performance improvements.

Daigoji Gai, Barugon, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.