PVP Endgame

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Duke William of Serenite, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I feel that obsidian trials is a great start. My idea is to give the people that control the siege castles gain access to a mine or nodes that can give more than the regular mines. Of course this team of pvpers has to control this are in order to gain access to the mine.

This mine has to be lucrative in order to be desirable.

My 2 cents we need something to fight over and it has to be worth it. If not a mine a buff, if not a buff a pvp skill.

Does anyone want to share ideas on what we can give pvpers that wont cause the non pvpers to says its not fair to them?

For the record I have never pvped so dont think I want this for myself.

I just feel this game can be like Game of Thrones, they have reasons to fight. Money, power, a seat in kings landing. Why cant we create a mini game and give the pvpers their own temporary seat of power for their efforts?

How about making it so everyone that walks in there is equal in skills? Since its "end game" you have to be of a certain level to participate, id say level 80. That gives the newbies incentive to be higher level so they can join the fun. Creating a carrot is good for the game, it gives the players something to work towards. Yes the grind sucks but soon I will be fighting along side my guild and possibly come out with pockets full of goodies.

Instead of shooting down my idea, lets hear yours. I am sure you thought about this. What do you think can be done to make this fun, exiting and challenging.

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I assume this is in an Adventure scene. If it goes up in POT's then it needs to show up on the world map so that people know to come raid it.

If PvP'ers want to protect the mine for their team so the miners can reap the rewards, then we may have a lot of people happy.

Perhaps some crafting tables inside of the castle so the crafters can process the materials.

Make these materials have to be moved to an Exit location, processed, in order for them to be able to be scored. Scored materials get divided up among the team and appear in inventory when the siege/game round is over. Or possibly in the bank of the town they are bound to, so everyone isn't suddenly encumbered out in the wild.

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I too think the Obsidian Trials are a great start for this. So if we were to extend this to gathering, there would have to be some checks put in on this to prevent exploits.

Off the top of my head...
    • The ore dropped in the Obsidian Pits (or whatever we call it) are not "real ore". They are basically a PVP currency that looks like obsidian shards and happens to be looted from nodes.
    • Killing players in this PVP arena makes them drop the "ore" 100% of the time (nothing else, just the ore). Incentivizing PVP rather than group mining.
    • Turning in the ore lets you get "bundles" of regular resources. Say 10 ore for 6 regular (copper, iron, pine, maple, cotton, etc), 20 ore for 3 rare resources (tin, etc).
    • Turning in the ore also gets you patterns, potions, or titles.
    • Have special areas around the scene where you get a temporary buff (~30 minute) to increase mining speed, increase drop rate, etc.
    I'm not really keen on PVP-specific items, as it just leads to those becoming required to participate. More barriers is not the solution.

Nelzie, CatherineRose, K1000 and 2 others like this.
  4. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

We fight for the oracles throne itself and the power.

Of course all players and guilds will be fighting for it

Along with kobalds, elves ebon dawn etc etc.

All players and npc's alike will be fighting to get control of the throne.

And lets not forget the oracle herself and her forces.

Gaelis, Nelzie, CatherineRose and 2 others like this.
  5. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

The battle that never ends

6. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Some good ideas especially like browncoats idea of pvp currency i think the devs touched upon that. Not sure if it caught fire.

Nelzie, CatherineRose and Lesni like this.
  7. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

The way to prevent exploits is to limit the timing and making it random.

First, we have all the RUINS scattered across Novia (4 or 5, if I remember). These could be the locations. But something needs to happen to make this an extra special gathering scene.

Second, since there are tons of meteors now (and less in the future), make it so that one of the moons drops a meteor that temporarily gives one of the Ruins an aura which allows for whatever we are given to do/control/gather/fight. This is the randomness. You never know when or where. This makes it so EVERYONE who logs in at different times can partake if they want. Not like the Lunar Vale, which is on a set schedule.

Finally, if a Ruin is randomly selected, some message pops up to notify everyone. During the "event" messages pop up for everyone that logs in during that time. The Overworld could also display bright lights or something so that passerby's can see it from far off. A timer begins at the start of the event. Maybe a day, or less. And make it so it only can happen 2-3 times an Earth week (whatever that translates to in Novian time).

What can occur inside can also be random: extra materials can be gathered; extra gold can be looted from mobs; extra buffs can be applied (maybe after the PvP is over and the controlling force holds a set spot for some time); etc. In general, PvP tokens like the Obsidian Trials can be given for PvP kills. Additionally, taking your ideas, maybe something can be turned in to an NPC for additional rewards. However, I like the idea of extra gathering chance/resources. This allows a group to come in with non-PvP'ers who have to be protected and can gather. Just a thought...

8. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I have some ideas for PVP.
    I recently read a forum post from 2016 titled:
    House Serenite lays claim to Grunvald Shardfall

It was a very interesting read and gave me an idea for PVP play to increase the competitive aspects of the game.

Here is my idea:
    Create a PVP environment similar to the game Ingress.
    (I have put a description of what Ingress is below and a link)
    Short information about Ingress is that it is a game with 2 competing groups that fight to control locations or territories. The groups will ‘capture’ a location and fight to keep it under their control.

This could be done in SOTA by using the two groups in the game.
    (i.e. Virtue and Chaos.)
    An area controlled by the Virtue side will have an Ankh as the ‘flag’ or symbol used to designate control. An area controlled by the Chaos side will have a Chaos Ankh as the ‘flag’ or symbol used to designate control.
    [​IMG]

Dungeons, ships, POT, islands, etc. could be used as locations to control.
    I think the new dungeons would be ideal for this.

In the dungeon, the goal would NOT be to fight NPC’s and monsters if your group controlled the dungeon.
    There could be a system where the NPC monsters in the game are ‘friendly’ to the ones in control of the dungeon.

These NPC’s could protect and help hold the dungeon for the controlling group when they are away or the members are busy fighting other battles.

The Virtue or Chaos groups could be made up of one guild or many.
    Individual guilds could be given responsibility for an area to protect or could roam over Novia to control skirmishes that breakout.

This idea is similar to the Pirate Ship Christening in Dragomir Mori last year.
    Pirates fought Cabalist for control of the ship and a grand battle for control was fun for all.

There could be special loot for capturing the locations.
    A pirate’s bounty of a chest, rum, or other loot could be hidden deep within the dungeon.
    The better the loot, the more likely a battle for control will take place.

But here is a better idea (IMO).
    I have not done PVP.
    Why?
    I don’t want to lose my stuff and I don’t want your’s.
    But… I do like killing things that don’t take my stuff when they win and I like getting XP and loot from killing them.

The most popular place right now in the game is Upper Tears.
    Why?
    I think it is three things.
    Lots of loot (even though not that great)
    Easy XP within a short time.
    A party atmosphere with other players.

Why not give these things to the ones taking control of the dungeon?
    If the PVP in dungeons was changed to imitate Upper Tears it would transform the game into something great.

Here is how:
    When the dungeon is attacked, the controlling groups will defend.
    Some will die! When avatars die they lose XP.

Instead of looting the victims of personal items when killed, give the victors the XP that avatar lost by dying. They will get XP from the opponent by killing them. If the attacking group wins, they will also reap the loot in the chests in the dungeon and they can add other loot to the area as a stash for their bounty. This would remove the fear of losing your stuff in a PVP battle since EVERYONE loses XP when they die even in PVE.

These battles could go on for days with each team conquering and loosing battles.
    Role Players should love the drama of protecting their stuff and conquering new lands.
    With assistance from Portalarium, the loot tables could be made better.
    Unique titles, emotes, special gear etc. could be the prizes for taking control of an area.

The competition in Ingress is primarily between the two opposing factions rather than between individual players, and players never interact directly in the game or suffer any kind of damage other than temporarily running out of "XM", the power that fuels all actions except movement and communication. The gameplay consists of capturing "portals" at places of cultural significance, such as public are, landmarks, monuments, etc., and linking them to create virtual triangular "control fields" over geographical areas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingress_(video_game)

9. Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow Avatar

If they can really make this like a throne war PvP type of thing going on, wow I can then convince my friends to play. I dont mind losing a piece of loot here and there. Interesting, I really hope pvp will be fleshed out within a year or so down the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.