New stuff on the addon store!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

I have NO PROBLEM at all with Portalarium selling things in the store. It will surely add playability to the game, especially with something which was unfair to the new players, despite it's a complete Pay to Win mechanism (but that's what all Shroud has been about from the beginning). You know ?
    Great advertisement, isn't it ?

The problem is that a lot of backers (and new players via the marketplace) paid the high price for this and now, their assets are totally devalued. Which means that they will lose money if they want to get out of the deal. Which means that every person will have to think a lot about it before investing any money in a game whose future is already uncertain. It's not about getting rich (some traders have probably got too much money from what should have been just a game). It's about not being screwed for the many people who paid for a game and who could want to get out because all the core mechanims are still changing a lot after the release. With this move, Portalarium just punched the marketplace (which they allowed the existence and which permited the game to survive so far) in the genital parts. Man, why should I pay hundreds of dollars in the marketplace to get any exclusive now I know that I can wait for Portalarium to sell everything at low price in the store ?

But of course, Portalarium have no obligation and can do as it please them. People who lost hundreds of dollars in a second will remember this. Some dev names are already blacklisted in my surroundings without even this (and without my implication, while I'm part of a ten thousand players community). And gamers communities can be very rancorous. So it's a false good move. If the thing was to make it easier for everyone and the new players, why those things are not sold for GOLD COINS ?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Bom, Sonja, Lazarus Long and 3 others like this.
  2. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Give me a break.

If you think Sota is some kind of investment where you buy a LOTM pledge and somehow get the money back, thats on you, but don't try to pass it on as some fact that is commonly known, because its not.

" God damnit Apple, i bought Iphone 8 plus for top dollars only 8 months ago, and now you completely devalued it by releasing a new model and making my iphone 8 cheaper to buy - Shame on you! "

These items were never exclusive, port has never said they are ( They even said LONG ago that they want to make bundles and items availible for cotos even )

I have bought plenty of CF vendors myself for $100+ , and im not mad, because i am going to give you a little hint here:

1) Items lose value when you use it.
    2) When you gain an advantage out of an item over a long period of time, you have to factor in the used value with the decrease in value.

Simply put, i bought CF vendor for a year ago for $120. Lets say i have saved.. hmm.. a million gold in fees. Its probably much more, but its an easy number. So my $120 "investment" , has paid off by $100. And guess what. ITS STILL PAYING OFF, since i still use it every single day.

We have this discussion on the forums every time there is the slightest change , which are all for the better.
    " waaaah you release tax deeds, my tax free decrease in value. Waaaaah you release Pot tax free deeds, i paid top dollar for place anywhere tax free " etc etc etc etc

3. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

You don't get it. I'm not ranting for a change. Portalarium did what they did. End of the line.

I'm just saying it's another move toward the Pay-to-Win logic or all those assets would be available for in game gold.

Now when some people didn't expect to make money with this game, some still spent lots of dollars to support it. And those had a way to get their money back with the Marketplace. Now there is a sticker pasted on this marketplace which says : "Hey, look, if you spend hundreds of bucks in there, expect that the store reduce the price by 70% after that !!!"

I get your point with the CF vendors, but not everyone is able to make millions gold coins when saving the commission (after, for exemple, using some exploits - not saying this for you but it's a reality). And CF vendors are not the only thing which has been put in the store, lately.

Just giving money for this game is risky and Portalarium closed all eventuality to reduce this risk by mitigation. Now I gave my point of view, I will just let it go.

4. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I see What you are saying.

Charging 30 for a CF vendor instead of 100+ ( or 400 + ) for bundle is the OPPOSIT of pay to win.

It makes the items availible to more people.

Ive been trying to find CF vendors for IGG for a month, none availible.

Now they Will be availible.

Negatives? None.

5. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

So paying for an advantage that you CAN'T get when actually playing the game is not Pay-to-Win ? Sorry, I said that I was going away, but I can't let pass this. Making something Pay-to-Win more accessible in the store doesn't change its nature. Your logic is flawed.

6. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

if anything this is a step away from p2w when the cfvendor and bundles hit the ingame coto vendors. almost everything is on the coto vendors it just lags behind a release or 2.

Elwyn likes this.
  7. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

commission free vendors and tax free deeds are the only 2 p2w items I can think of in game. if port were to ask me if they should be removed I would say yes in a heartbeat. but alas they wont ask me... so making them buyable in game with cotos is lessening pay 2 win.

8. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

Maybe. Then the marketplace would probably move toward COTO exchanche thing in game (which certainly won't be accessible to the new players who will think they have to buy COTOS in the store, if they even are aware about the COTO option). Sadly, Shroud is more a trading simulation than a real RPG game, in my opinion.

Woodchuck, 3devious, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
  9. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

another point for global help chat :)

Witcheypoo and moko like this.
  10. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

You claim that making items availible to more people is p2w , yet my logic is flawed??

I just told you, they were not availible for IGG ( p2w ) , now they are availible for IGG ( not p2w )

Simple

Witcheypoo likes this.
  11. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

No, they aren't. They are available for $ or COTO (which can be officialy bought with $, eventualy with IGG if you know about it and can find some at a decent price, given the fact that IGG can also be bought with $). Good luck with that. This game is completely crippled with RMT and there is nothing Port can do about this without screwing tens of people.

Woodchuck, Cordelayne and Hornpipe like this.
  12. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

For sale on both Marketplace, on ingame vendors ( Looked for 2 minutes in the popular spots ) and on discord trade chat for IGG/Cotos around 500k Worth.

I responded to this because i am going to keep letting people know the real deal and now what doomsayers wish , but when you state that cotos cant be aqquired without paying $$, i simply know you are trolling.

Good luck

Witcheypoo likes this.
  13. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

I actually did not say that but the fact that you believe so is pretty evocative about your ability to read and discuss with an opponent.

All you have left is defaming the people who don't agree with you.

14. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

There is nothing to discuss. You come to the forums on an alt account to spread a negative attitude, doomsday prediction, some false information and some outright lies - When i correct them with the facts you go hostile mode. Nothing new there.

15. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

Every person who has been dealing with me in game or for trading know that it's not an alt account (verified paypal account with first and last name). And my wife could probably attest that too, even if you would surely accuse her of being an alt.

Funny thing you are the one to mention "hostile mode"

Your post has being reported.

Mykll likes this.
  16. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

A really good move and much needed imho. Most people aren't prepared to shell out big sums of money for bundles but a few dollars/pounds/euros etc here and there for specific items is much more palatable.

What Port has done previously has not worked in either player retention or earning some revenue so they have to try something else.

They have one more chance with the boxed sets going to Amazon to get people playing, get good reviews and keep people playing.

If this fails then everyone including the "Nobility" as someone alarmingly called themselves will have nothing.

SOTA is a game that needs to make money not some alternative universe where that doesn't matter as long as a few players are kept happy.

Anyone who bought pledges as a RMT "investment" also need to take a check with reality especially with the state the game is at present.

I really want this game to succeed but it can't do so by repeating and holding on to the mistakes of the past.

17. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

That I can agree with, but they should consider to go with selling things for in game gold instead of competing with the marketplace they contributed to create.

Mykll and Gorthyn like this.
  18. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Generally speaking, I think it is a good idea to give players the freedom to choose what they want to do and have because I think we will win and retain more players by doing this than we will lose.

With regard to exclusive Kickstarter items (like expert crafting stations that were available only to really big backers), I sympathize with the backers who feel that promises weren't kept. At the same time I ask myself why they are more interested in retaining their exclusive ownership status than in protecting their investment by making the game more attractive to new players. It amazes me that some early backers are even resentful that property ownership is not exclusive to them.

It is my hope that with Episode 2, we can start over and game decisions can be made solely with the purpose of winning and retaining new players.

Witcheypoo, Sentinel2, Lace and 8 others like this.
  19. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

Simply because some people lost any hope for this game and just want to get some money back before leaving because they felt like the dice were stacked from the beginning. It's actually my case, and my wife's case. Well, we can surely assume the risk. It's just that we would not have spend so much if we knew from the beginning what the devs had in mind.

Mykll likes this.
  20. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Regarding crafting stations, it was clearly communicated during the very early game that items of simular quality will be availible ingame - Same with prospector Tools.

They still have their Founder/benefactor tag, thought.

Witcheypoo, Mishikal and Kara Brae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.