PVP out of curiosity -

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by blaquerogue, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curt

Curt Avatar

Sounds like a good question. (should give you some bonus logs when you start?)

2. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yeah SotA will be just another WoW game when it comes to risk vs reward and consequences in PvP. A safe PvP game for the casual player.

Nahin likes this.
  3. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

Lack of consequences and reward would turn this into every other game. Why must everyone pander to the lowest common denominator?

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm sure if you were just a humble miner, you wouldn't be in fear of being killed by random psychopaths all the time.

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

This will come as unexpected news to the many SotA contributors who view open PvP as teh debil incarnate.

6. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 Avatar

My guess would be role playing games are a small enough Niche so why hamstring your game to make a small portion of said Niche happy...the RPG genre is a graveyard of fully "open" PVP corpses AND also PVE corpses as well..the key will be to find balance to attract as many happy players as possible and give them all the game they want.

The grief fest of pre Trammel UO is not going fly but then again Remaking Trammel would just lump it in with a lot of moderately successful cookie cutter snore fest MMOs. I've got faith the Devs will find the right balance but I don't think pleasing Griefers will be high on the priority list but I bet they have a plan for players that want to be "evil".

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I totally agree there, without that i can only see me playing this single player online! then delete it from my pc when im done, just like any old single player game, so many people in these thread make me want to go PK! the best single player game so far for this type stuff is Kingdoms of Amular, or Dragon Age, Im tired of those single player games! Im already tired of this game and i haven't even fully played it yet, i keep questioning myself "Did i just throw away my money for someone else s game!" They better have something that hooks me or im done with it and certain people in the game!

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I wouldnt because i knew how to use an axe! for killing as well as gathering, and id carry a bow! :) so i could hit them first from a distance! Back in those days everyone had to fear anyone they didnt know, if strangers came to town they were either passing through, or going to burn my village to the ground! Brigands, highwaymen and were always on the look out for lonely gatherers!

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

They didn't burn down things for no reason at all. A brigand was more interested in robbing someone than killing them, because that would give them a chance to rob them a second time. And they'd more likely go after fat merchants than lumberjacks.

The only point I'm making is that, even though I like risk vs. rewards, a lumberjack or a miner in the game shouldn't have to think of themselves as putting themselves at that level of risk every time they go out to do their job. They shouldn't be in fear of their lives all the time. There needs to be a balance, where the game world can feel real, and people don't feel forced into arena combat (or running) all the time.

BillRoy [ab] and Jivalax Azon like this.
  10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i think with some experience anyone can be good at countering the pkr! they are not that hard to kill if you know what your doing and balance your gathering and fighting skills. normally they wont mess with more than two people for the simple fact they can only attack one at a time, and on top of that my character along with others will be wandering around looking for the pkr anyways. But if you choose not to pvp that is your prerogative. I became a good Pkkr from fighting Pkrs! Practice made me a good pvpr. I understand not everyone is combat hearty and some people just dont understand that the Pkr is a valuable asset to my RP and game play, without them i would have to just play something i dont want to! If a game comes out between now and when this game hits the market that has full loot pvp, i wont play this anymore. Its that simple ill just cut my loses! Never back another RG game and i would probably tell everyone around me its a waste of money, and come to this other game. Word of mouth travels faster than anything!
    I think with the softness of this game, not too many people i know, would want to play it, unless they only liked the Ultima series (besides UO!) but that is my opinion, and ill just have to wait and see i guess!?

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Maybe, but they shouldn't have to if they shouldn't have to expect an activity to be particularly risky.

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

im actually all for people having a choice, if you dont want to pvp thats cool! but i think in my own opinion that if you go pvp it should be full loot! thats just my opinion, i dont see it ever happening in this game EVER. so im not really expecting it, if it did happen i would be shocked! Ill probably just play the online single player, i dont really like the card system, i dont like the broken up pvp! in all actuality this game thus far really is not for me. Like i said earlier i only supported this game because RG is making it, and i was hoping for a new and improved UO, I still play UO with alot of other people, for a game to last that long, and i was there from the start, it really says something about the game! But i honestly feel like RG has lost the Gusto for a game like UO, PVP etc..

mmjarec likes this.
  13. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I dont see the point in why its kindof an mmo but kinda not because a jack of all trades is a master of none is what scares me. If i want to play an mmo i want to be around people if i want to play single player i do so. But there is no desire for me to play a single player game that has multiplayer i can turn off nor is there desire to play a multiplayer game that i can make into single player. Seems like an impossible hurdle to make a game be both things because its ine inevitable something will suffer alog the way first off ive noticed is some decision to limit the players onscreen. Sometimes i like being around tons of ppl in a lagfest. I dont have friends i dont need have friends i dont have sorted with a system i wont use. I play to kill other pll so single player is poitless

Just make two seperate games plz. One can be solo the other just remake UO. I iust hope it isnt LBS last gasp trying to cash in on his devotees. In the process of trying to make a game for everyone he runs the risk of making it for no one

blaquerogue likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, I'm not even talking about no PvP, I'm talking about where there is PvP, it should also be balanced so it isn't out of control.

15. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

There is no way you can make a fair or balanced system when you rely completely on random card procs

Ara and blaquerogue like this.
  16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

this is what im getting out of this so far and what i think the vision is for SoTA, not saying this is a fact, just an assumtion, .....Picture yourself in any of the Ultima games (not UO) your travelling along your merry way you meet some npcs you all go out and kills something,,, now lets turn those other NPC's into live players, now you and your buds can go around and kill stuff together. To me thats lame i want to have the thrill of somone might roll up on me and gank me, eventhough i may be able to hold my own and gank them no insurance no partial loot, full loot and full death! this is why i say i probably wont be playing this game it is too soft for me!

17. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Here is the problem of mixing PvP in to a FRP genre game, devs have said from the beginning that this is a FRP.

Think about someone that want to role-play a lumberjack with only limited bow skill that he uses to hunt some. Why is his way of playing worth less then someone that want PvP?

If we look at the big picture:
    Scenario 1: If the game would be a open PvP most of the PvE players will not play the game. There for all the PvP players will only have each other to kill. Same as if the game would have consensual PvP only.

Scenario 2: With consensual PvP where the PvE players get some incitement to now and then join the PvP we et a game with more PvP action then the PvP players get a richer target environment then with scenario 1.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  18. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

If it's random for all then It's absolutely fair. As far as balanced goes, well we will have to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  19. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I hope this game is a smash success and everyone that plays it loves it but the reality is that not every game is going to be enjoyable to everyone. If you feel the game is too soft for your taste then fare thee well and I hope you find a game you'll enjoy!

Time Lord and Ned888 like this.
  20. Ara

Ara Avatar

Random cards and luck and a balanced combat system dont match.

One get a lucky card and win cause he was ..........lucky.

Skills and spells need to be on the keyboard and all need to be available all the time, only way to get a balanced combat system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.