1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

For wild animal spawners, use something like pine cones

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by redfish, Feb 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

I like the idea of hiding certain types of decorations entirely, like POT phonographs, ankhs, and maybe spawners.

But considering them when they're visible, I think a bad idea to use carrot spawners for wild animals like deer. Using a "carrot" to attract something is of course an obvious metaphor but I don't think its necessary. Players are going to not just be making towns but wilderness scenes, or have wilderness areas on the outskirts of their towns and might want to place deer spawners where carrots don't make sense. And even within towns, carrots stand out a bit much I think, and if you're placing spawners for pigs and other farm animals that might be in a farmstead area or green market area it might be OK, but just having carrots lying around where they shouldn't be is jarring.

There are a lot of "wild" food sources that might attract wild animals, including nuts and acorns from trees, mushrooms, certain plants/weeds (ie. goosefoot is commonly eaten by animals so was then grown by farmers for animal feed). Pine cones are a food source, though, and probably the simplest and least distracting to implement. And often, animals that don't chew the actual cones eat the seeds inside. I also know there's a pine cone model somewhere, since it was used in Kickstarter demos.

- Deer will eat pine cones
    - Squirrels will eat pine cones
    - Rabbits will eat pine cones
    - Turkeys will eat pine seeds (inside the cones). Not in all cases wild animals, but I don't think they eat carrots anyway, do they
    Etc.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i do like the pine cones idea, and there were kickable ones in early scenes, but not every template has pines. i don't know why the spawner has to be visible at all: it could be a hidden box as they do for fogs and butterflies.

Anpu and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, you're right. Some scenes will be deciduous, others swamps, others deserts. But I still think for scenes where it makes sense to see those animals anyway, its better than a carrot and think its possible for players to suspend disbelief about it. If needed, they could always code it to switch out the deco depending on the biome. I remember them talking about changing roof tiles on houses depending on the biome or something like that.

I'm not sure what design decision is behind showing the spawners.

Alley Oop likes this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Pine cones would make sense. I was a bit confused by the reindeer spawner being a carrot.
    I like the idea of using something that also doubles as 'deco' and looks like it belongs.
    The cat spawners are little food bowls, which is perfect, tho. Leave those alone!

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.