Proper Daily Quests

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Rook Strife, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

This is a simple example of what Daily Quests look like in other games

You go to a zone

In it there are 5 - 10 npcs grouped within a short, convenient distance of each other

There is a small amount of dialogue with each Npc, you pick up the quests.

You adventure through the zone completing these quests.

Some areas might contain tasks for 1 quest like Kill X number of Npc's

Other areas might combine multiple quests to be completed simultaneously like harvest X resource, kill X number of npc's, Kill Specific Npc.

When you have gone through the zone and completed all the quests, you return to the group of npc's and claim your rewards.

That is the basic idea.

These kind of zones are popular. They get people logging in every day.

When you log on there is always a zone with people in it and activities you can quickly join

You can do your own thing solo getting decent rewards while meeting other players / socializing or not

Or group up with random people to complete the quests

The NPC dialogue rarely matters. After doing the quests a couple of times nobody reads it anymore.

The tasks themselves are usually nothing complex. Simple kill / harvest / click quest item missions

Completing all the quests in a Daily Zone usually takes around 30 mins to 1 hour

There is a simple map for the zone and it is easy to see where you have to go to complete each quest.

The rewards are nothing spectacular. But good enough so it feels worth your time.

Many people create alts to do them.

A rough equivalent in this game for a completing all the dailies would be some combo of

20-30k gold from quests themselves or selling loot obtained
    100 Crowns - maybe a character bound version
    Random Supply bag(s)
    1 hour worth Xp Attunement
    Plus whatever rando loot you obtain within the zone

Some games have reputation where after months of doing the dailies for a particular zone, you might get access to rare rewards.

As a comparison, these are our current quests

Carvaggio Paintings - Ardoris/Random - 25k xp + recall scroll

Monk prayer card - Solania/Encounter 25k xp + 500 gold

Arch lapin - Ardoris/Spectral Mines 180k xp 1k gold Lepin Mask

Love Letters - Necropolis Barrens 40k xp 600 gold

Heirlooms - Solace Outskirts 16k xp 250 gold

Broochash 10k xp 73 gold

Twin Toenails SE Passage/Tenebris Harbor 60k xp 1k gold

Dragontooth Ulfheim 60k xp 1k gold

2 hours~ of

Running back and forth all over the map
    To Obtain, complete and turn in scattered individual quests
    To quest givers and quest locations all over the world
    For pitiful rewards.

A total of 500k Xp, 4500 gold and a recall scroll

That's if you're even willing to do the work to locate these quest givers in the first place

People are currently earning millions of Xp in an hour, tons of gold and loot.

These are supposed to be DAILY quests.

Fun things people can look forward to doing when they log on.

No one wants to run all over the map to complete these things.

No one is going to complete them for these crap rewards.

Simply upping the rewards will not improve anything

They need to be done in such a manner that they are a fun activity for people to do solo or in groups.

Another regularly populated zone would not hurt the game either.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Hermetic, kaeshiva, majoria70 and 3 others like this.
  2. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

There are other ways to do these Dailies as well

Make them as complimentary quests for the activities people already do in game

Example Dailies for a Miner

3 or 4 Quest giving Npcs in Etceter

They hand out daily quests like

Kill 30 Bandits in Etceter Crag Mines
    Mine and return 400 gem fragments
    Defeat whatever that lichs name is
    Return 30 Slime Ooze

For adventurers it would be zone quests, crafters crafting quests etc.

By far still better off attempting a daily zone though. Easier and more benefits to the game.

Net and Nick like this.
  3. Net

Net Avatar

I think it would be nice to have weekly and monthly quests with bigger rewards. We have some daily quests, and some annual ones, but nothing in between, I think. It would be nice to be able to do a bigger quest when I have time during a weekend.
    And it would really help if the recurring quests did not feel like extra work, but aligned with my in-game activity. Getting materials for example. Sieges are not so bad for wood, but there could be a quest clearing a mine or getting rare gems there, not sure if that is still a thing in Graff Gem mines. Fishing an uncommon/rare fish in a daily/weekly/monthly zone for extra xp and gold... killing far bear bothering villagers for extra suet or helping with pests by gathering all the cotton infested by beetles to get more of the beetle carapace... Stuff like that.
    Might be best to have daily/weekly zones with several of these quests happening at the same zone.
    Oh and absolute MUST HAVE for me is to allow people team up and do the quest together. It is super annoying having to kill 10 dragons, so the 10-member party can collect 10 teeth. It is great if the quest can be done solo with some smart thinking or on higher level, but do not make it super time consuming for group of friends who enjoy to play together. It is super annoying to do some stuff in group and I have no reason why. Especially resource gathering and some of the quests are huge PITA with multiple people in one zone, even if they are in one party.

4. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Yea many games do the weeklies as well

Usually with much better rewards

I've seen them handle groups in different ways

Some games if a party member loots an item / kills a mob, you get credit for it as well on your journal tracker

Some games there is a quest specific item everyone can loot from the mob apart from the normal loot

For spawnables the same thing

Here we have private / party mode for the resource issue

For quest spawnables just need a high respawn rate

Some games use multiple instances of the zone as well in case you want to move to a less populated one for some reason

Net likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Never gonna happen. For some reason they're terrified of people finding the game rewarding to play. On the rare occasions something good or fun makes it in, it is immediately removed or nerfed.

kaeshiva likes this.
  6. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Actually, there is a bonafide decent instance of PVE in the game at the moment.

The Tartarus Satyr Maze

I don't know if it was just a fluke or one of those cases where if you do 100 things, 1 is bound to be good

It's the closest thing you can find to the pve of other games

Fairly fun and entertaining

You can single pull a mob or small group of mobs without aggroing the entire maze

They drop decent loot - Gear like Bandit Set people can actually use, supply bags, decent gold

There are random spawns of ore and treasure chests

The maze structure itself was pretty well designed

Unfortunately the rest of the zone is a giant maze with tons of generic rooms and hallways, poor lighting and of course no map

But still, after an hour or so when you can finally reliably make it there every time,

It can be surprisingly entertaining

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'm sure it was a mistake, and will be corrected any patch now.

I mean, Spindleskog is far more illustrative of how Chris designs things. You need eight of a rare drop to make something good, which only lasts ten minutes. But in order to be able be allowed to make this thing that requires eight rare drops, you need a super rare drop. And in the times where none of these items drop? 20 gold and 3 corpse wax. Yay!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Katu, Anpu and Rook Strife like this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

My experience of the Tartarus maze differs from yours (things adding from miles away / through walls, spent a few hours there on a few different occasions, never did see a single piece of bandit gear drop and the 'mining area' is a bit of a joke. Death metal slimes? Really?)

I agree with everything else you've said about rewarding daily quests though.
    If you can't accomplish anything meaningful in a play session, there's no point logging on.

9. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Yes the highest tier mobs along the outside of the maze have the usual broken aggro

The ones inside have the improved aggro. They all patrol though so it's easy to pick up 5+ if you don't position yourself.

Bandit gear drops better than the usual random. Still lots of Rng though. Most of the time spend an hour and you'll have at least 1 piece.

Compared to everything else, it was refreshing to see.

10. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

should be like all those isekai anime/mangas with an adventures guild, toss the quest giver into the tavern behind the counter, add diminishing/no returns(color change on quest) after 5-10 repeatables(reset daily/weekly as needed)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.