What Monsters are you hoping to see.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimirillo, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

So, majoria mentioned sea monsters. I thought I'd run down a list of some of the more distinct or interesting ones. This is just a start, since I can't post more than 10 images in a thread and this really needs pictures.

I'll start by mentioning the common form of the ketos again, which continued to appear on medieval maps and bestiaries, and has been referenced by modern commentators as a 'sea dragon,' to distinguish it from other animals like sea horses, sea bulls, sea goats. Personally, I don't like that name. Here's two versions, depicting the constellation Cetus, which is alternatively called Pistrix (or Pistris), a Latin word for sea monster, but one that usually refers to a type of monstrous whale.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A physeter would refer to a type of monster whale, though it was distinguished from whales. Its now the genus for sperm whales. It was described as 200 cubits long, and was also nicknamed the prister and whirlpool, because he would suck in water with his mouth to feed, and then expel it from his spouts. They were blamed for causing whirlpools and drowning ships. In general, different types of whales were depicted with two spouts, so this was nothing interesting. People were said to throw out barrels to hinder his passage. He was also said to not be able to endure the sound of a war trumpet. Relatives were the pistris and tinnus.

[​IMG]

Second, the echeneis, a mythologized version of the remora. It was said to be a small fish, but would cling to ships and stop them dead, like by an anchor. It would root them in the sea even in high storms. Because of that, the belief was it had powerful lungs.

[​IMG]

The classic sea serpent (or sea wyrm) which was huge and could crush ships.

[​IMG]

As dimwit mentions, the kraken, which has been described in many ways, but by tradition is to depict it as a giant octopus,

[​IMG]

The hydra originally referred to a type of water monster, hence the "hydr-" root in its name. In the Greek myth, it lived in a swamp near Lake Lerna. It was later reported in sightings of sea monsters. As mentioned in an above post, there was also a hydros, as well as a hydrus -- these were often confused.

[​IMG]

The polypus, a creature with many legs and could refer to a lot of descriptions, but is usually depicted as a type of large crustacean,

[​IMG]

The rosmarus, which was later identified as the walrus, but, through accounts became mythologized. It was also called a morse (pl. morsi).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And many more... ziphius, giant nautilus (or giant argonaut) for example, etc, :>

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Ahh nice thread topic! I would like to see some typical Ultima and fantasy fare type enemies like the following - Ettins, Ogres, Trolls, Daemons, Minotaurs, Goblins, Frost Giants, Wraiths, Spectres, Dragons and Kobolds. It's also very cool to include the various classes of some of those races like shamans, warriors, etc etc. I mean, ogres would be lost without their shaman right?

I think a good variety of undead enemies would really liven up the graveyard type areas in the game as well. Skeletons are nice, but lets mix it up with some wraiths, spectres, liches, and the like!

3. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Hopefully less fantasy cliches. Though if they do include those, like what they've done with elves and satyrs in the fiction; mix it up a little bit and make it slightly more original. :)

4. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I wanna see the Headless, they were Dumb!
    Make 'em real Dumb, walk into walls and go to where the sounds are so we can trick 'em! chuck stones and fire arrows, In fact I would like a Dumb Headless as a pet or summon!

gtesser and Doppelganger like this.
  5. Jimirillo

Jimirillo Avatar

According to Ultima lore, headlesses were quite adept at finding their way around, locating you, chucking rocks and strangling you to death, even without eyes and ears. http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Headless

It would be interesting to see Portalariums take on these creatures. Also kinda reminds me of the ones in serious sam.

[​IMG]

Miganarchine likes this.
  6. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I see that now lol they nicked it off RG sue!!

7. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I know it may seem silly and selfish, but I am hoping for Golem creatures of various types.... mechanical or magical, it doesnt matter... just are always a neat concept of a mythological or fantastical creature.....

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

That's pretty silly and selfish ...

3devious and Golem Dragon like this.
  9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I don't think it is silly to want to see golems if you like golems.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  10. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I have no clue if golems even fit the lore, just was always fascinated since the early 1990s with golem creatures.... wow, I feel old now....

11. enderandrew

Past Ultima games had automatons, but I don't recall golems. But it does sound like it would fit in the SotA lore, where Elves and Satyrs were created by men trying to rediscover magic and infuse it into living creatures, thusly creating magical races. Golems can come from such experiments.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Ultima VIII; there was a Create Golem spell in Necromancy.

[​IMG]

Jivalax Azon and Doppelganger like this.
  13. enderandrew

Thank you, I forgot about that. That being said, those weren't Sosarian creatures, but it is possible the Guardian could have sent some over between U8 and U9 and we just didn't see them in U9.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  14. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I love just tossing ideas and and seeing how ppl run with it.... much <3 to the community today....

Jivalax Azon and 3devious like this.
  15. enderandrew

Or heck, the Avatar brought over Pagan magic into Sosaria, including the spell for making golems.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, we didn't specifically have elemental magic in Sosaria, but we know magic in Sosaria and Pagan come from the same source (the ether, and with specific utility to blackrock).

Golem Dragon and enderandrew like this.
  17. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

who knows, i know the golem worked well in U8 those times I played it, but i just like sharing random thoughts on fun creatures and lore and ties to past work from the team members... whether it be ultima or other series.

18. enderandrew

It looks like we're getting different magic in SotA than we had in Ultima. I don't recall seeing a Create Golem spell in Episode 1, but that doesn't mean we can't have one, or that NPCs couldn't have created them like they created the Elves.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  19. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Sea monsters, hydra, deamons..

Golem Dragon likes this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh my :)

DimwitTheWise likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.