What Monsters are you hoping to see.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimirillo, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

That's a good point, Ultima has historically had creatures that were in fact intelligent and conversation based.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  2. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Headless, Trolls with mohawks, reapers, slimes (I hate them, but they're very Ultima), and gremlins.

3. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Ahhh.. reapers... my earliest memories of ragequitting.

4. Gaumarol

Gaumarol Avatar

Balrons!!!

One of the most powerful creatures. But only were seen in Ultima III and Ultima IV ...
    After that i think the deamons took over their part.

And not to Forget the Sea Serpents.
    Always a pain for the fearless sailor...

DimwitTheWise likes this.
  5. carbonbased

carbonbased Avatar

Slimes for sure. Just begging to be under estimated. I haven't followed sota lore much, but something like the uu ghouls / u7 wildmen could be really cool... Like a remnant population turned feral.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

6. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

TBH? I don't want to see any monsters at all. *grins* They are too often meaning my dead, while I only want to explore, collect stuff and craft ...
    But if there must be monsters (which is the case for sure) I wish there would be a skill, which allows to take control of each monster to take it with you as pet, guardian, carrier, companion, whatever.
    Remember as young tamer in UO with a swarm of mongbats?
    Where neat times, but so limited to what the developers determined to be player controllable.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

Bodhbh Deargh likes this.
  7. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I would love to see reapers, headless and slimes.

docdoom77 and Lord Ao Soliwilos like this.
  8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Skeletons, Liches and orcs get my vote.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I think it's always interesting and a bit scary to kill vampires. Even better if they take some finesse to protect yourself against them.

****oh yes and I agree to Dragons. The Dragons in Skyrim are so awesome.

Jivalax Azon and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

jwilson

Bodhbh Deargh likes this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

One category of monsters that I don't think have been explored well in in fantasy RPGs are the cetea, in Latinized form, or ketea, from the original Greek (the singular is cetus or ketos). In Greek myth, this referred to any sea monsters, but typically meant a type of sea dragon, similar to how the Greek drakone referred to a category of monster, but usually was represented as a serpentine dragon.

As explained here,

The dragons of ancient Hellas had very little--if anything--to do with the fantasy dragons we are so accustomed to now. The ancient Hellenes knew four types of dragon: the Drakones, the Ketea, the Khimaira and the Drakaenae.

Cetea continued to be a generic word for sea monsters into the Middle Ages, and it was used to describe whales, hence the word cetacean, which is derived from it. Here is a depiction of Jonah and the Whale, or rather Jonah and the ketos, some type of sea-monster understood to be the same category of creature as a what we recognize as a whale,

[​IMG]

At any rate, they could take on a variety of forms, but in a common form in Greek art they were mountable beasts that looked like sea-dragons, and would be ridden by nereids,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They would either have front legs, or front fins, or feather-like fins. This is distinguishable from the sea-serpent, which is just a long snake-like creature, with no legs or fins, and no mid torso which could be mounted.

Depictions of cetea in art remained as long as classicism was popular, through the 19th century. A depiction of a cetea-type creature in a Bouguereau painting,

[​IMG]

A similar creature was the hippocampus, or sea-horse, which did make an appearance in Ultima -- in Ultima V, though looked like a non-fantasy seahorse, rather than the traditional Greek monster. Sea-bulls were another type of ride-able mount.

Dragon, by the middle ages, also referred to any number of creatures, that were generally serpentine, and often was a synonym for a type of great serpent. One of these was the cerastes, a horned serpent which hid under the sand, waiting to strike its prey. It was said to have no spine and be very flexible,

[​IMG]

The horns were considered valuable and sold as 'serpents horns' reputed for magical purposes. We now know the cerastes to be a mythologized version of the horned viper, a snake.

Another monster in bestiaries was the jaculus, a type of flying serpent that would wait in trees to strike its prey. Sometimes it was depicted with legs, other times with no legs,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Siren", known commonly to refer to the harpy like creatures, also referred to a type of serpent which was said to move faster than a horse, running with its legs and apparently using its wings to help it glide,

[​IMG]

They're sometimes called snake siren to distinguish them, or with the name spelled syren. A water serpent/dragon called the hydros, similar in form to later sea serpents,

[​IMG]

Then there was the scitalis, or skytale, which seems to be a standard type of dragon, except for the prismatic markings on its back, which would mesmerize viewers, causing them to freeze and allow it the chance to strike.

And finally, the amphisbaena, a two headed serpent, which was a two headed serpent, sometimes depicted like a pushme-pullyou.

Note... I had to remove some images here, because of the 10 images per post limit.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh Thank you Redfish for remembering the Sea Monsters. I have some good memories about fishing and Sea Monsters. We definitely need those and our elementals.

Maka, Lord Baldrith and redfish like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sea monsters can be expanded into its own topic :>

[​IMG]

15. Retro

Retro Avatar

A real Lich, not the Wraith thing we have now, ZING! ;)

Mindflayers and Dark elves would be nice also...

Jivalax Azon and majoria70 like this.
  16. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

Marmosets.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  17. Jimirillo

Jimirillo Avatar

Agreed. I remember playing the old NWN campaign (i think it was hordes of the underdark) and on defeating this Ogre Mage, he dropped his "ME SMASH YOU GOOD!" accent and starting talking articulately, explaining that the dumb ogre act was to lull adventurers into a false sense of security before toasting them with a fireball or something. Then I lopped his head off.

And lets not forget the troll in Yew jail (i think) in U7 that you could converse with. That really made me feel that the other trolls must have personality too, even though they never got the chance to say much.

mitchellhamilton and Dadalama like this.
  18. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Seeing the topic of this thread, I was thinking headless as one of my first thoughts.. It was nice to then see other people here want them too! :)

I also want dragons, demons, ettins, mongbats.. and shadowlords! ;)

Retro and Lord Baldrith like this.
  19. Dehmaun

Dehmaun Avatar

the monster i most want to see... hmmm.... politicians.

edit: i did in fact die to a mongbat. and i was 7xGM :(

20. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

Came here to say Balrons, Daemons, and Kraken. Looks like they were already said. But I'm saying em again. ;) So much fun to figh......ok, DIE at their hands.

And Wisps. The intelligent ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.