What PvP Players can look forward to

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by enderandrew, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

If you want a pair of blue jeans and a tee shirt, you can have them. I don't recommend looting the boxers, corpses tend to soil themselves.

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  2. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Close. I was thinking "The Spiritual Successor of the Ultima Series including ofcouse UO; includes a Looting and PvP system that has already been done by almost every game on the market since UO? HUH?!?" That was more what I was thinking.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Would that be a UO looting and PvP system or a pre Tram UO looing and PvP system?

I do like how you lump everything into UO vs everything else though.

4. Starkiller-BH

Starkiller-BH Avatar

Hard to use future tense when you do not know for sure if a game will or will not have open PvP, but yes there are many future games coming with open PvP as well; ArchAge, Black Desert, etc etc...

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

We do know, for sure, that SotA will have open PvP, consensual open PvP.

6. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

How do you mean "lump everything into UO vs everything else"? Ultima Online is the online inspired version of Ultima. I'm a little confused. You realize the other Ultimas were single player, right?

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Spiritual successor, that word gets tossed around a lot and I get thrown off by people's usage of the phrase.

To me it's the core principles that make the foundation of the game. The game is built upon that foundation and each subsequent game still maintains that core principle.

These core principles may have started out in a smaller form and evolved with the series but they have always been present.

1. Players can interact with everything.
    2. The Avatar is a representation of the player, how one interacts has consequences.
    3. Lord British only thinks he is immortal.

Ultima Online had full PvP and full loot, for some portion at least. Does that mean full PvP and full loot should be on the list? The only way I can answer that is by bouncing it off of one questions, would Ultima Online be a spiritual successor of the Ultima series without full PvP full loot?

UO's PvP/Loot system was a derivative of #1 and #2. SotA can have a PvP/Loot system completely different than UO yet still fit within the scope of #1 and #2.

The only thing left is for someone to figure out to show Lord British #3

Very few games on the market have #1 and #2 as a foundation, more of an afterthought.

8. jamiesan

jamiesan Avatar

it's skill based. If the pvp is solid then I'll happily instance all over the overhead map skipping all the way. I'll single-player monsters for hours and farm my life away so long as the pvp is excellent. And it should be, this is UO(ish) afterall. I'm bicurious about this single/multi player pvp zones thing. While my ideal game would be zone/instance free (or whatever) I'm curious to try the offline side of the online game I've spent so much time playing.

I've played a dozen freeshards, some recently, I know a lot of people (mainly pvpers) that are playing UO right now. They, like myself, are unsure about this not fully multiplayer thing. Were there to be excellent skill based pvp readily available in these zones/instances/whatever then we'd definitely spend some time playing.

On the online side of Ultima, pvp is one of the main things that has kept many of us playing.

killdonkey and TemplarAssassin like this.
  9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

The thing to keep in mind, however, is that SotA is more closely aligned to the single player Ultima games, not Ultima Online. If I had to quantify it, maybe 65%-70% Ultima and about 30%-35% Ultima Online.

As such, it's not all about, "Heh, there's a guy over there... I'm gonna kill him...why? Because he's there..." which was the early UO PvP mindset for many gamers. There's more to SotA than that; it's far more nuanced.

Anyone coming to SotA thinking it will be different, or that they can make it different by constantly bringing up the olden days in UO (an era I was gaming in myself, before you ask), is in for a rude surprise.

Noctiflora, redfish, Ned888 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

And for a large group of other people NOT having to PvP (ie Trammel) kept THEM playing... And the SotA team is more aware of the numbers involved with UO players leaving vs staying due to FFA PvP than anyone else aside from possibly EA... We ARE talking about Lord British and Lord Blackthorne here! ;)

Can we now pls stop beating the dead animal corpses? :D

11. Gracekain

Gracekain Avatar

UO hasent been skill based for YEARS! UO PvP is all about who has the best macro making ability and the best macro programs and the best hack clients.

12. jamiesan

jamiesan Avatar

Ok guys I understand the basics of sota. You're misunderstanding me. There is going to be pvp, we know that. All that I'm asking for is good pvp, skill based pvp. I don't think that this hinders any other aspect of the game.

I don't understand what exactly the three of you are disagreeing with. Should the pvp (which there will be) not be skill based?

13. jamiesan

jamiesan Avatar

Not really... Certainly there are those that easyuo for shared targets and other less significant uses. It's not common place and if it were commonplace the fundamentals of uo pvp mechanics (1v1 for example) are still superior to most if not all games, as far as skill based goes (best player, not character/class,wins). That's what I'm asking for here, solid mechanics.

Also, I know the server uosa, I have fought against the guild majestic, and I know the client that they are using in that video. Where are the hacks?? This guild isn't exceptional, either. They don't exactly get hax accusations.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'll go out on a very short limb here and say, "No."

15. jamiesan

jamiesan Avatar

What horse am I beating? What is the objection to my mentioning that uo pvp was skill based and that I'd prefer that to be the case in sota as well? I'm not asking for anything about sota to be changed, you guys understand that right?

Ferrus likes this.
  16. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Again, SotA isn't a continuation of anything that happened in UO. So invoking what happened in UO doesn't have the effect you might think on a game that, in many ways, is treading all-new territory in some areas.

As for PvP in SotA requiring skill, I think your logical first stop is to read up on skill decks and how combat works in SotA in the first place. That's your first point of reference to knowing whether you consider it "skillful" or not.

17. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

UO was not skill based, any game with auto targeting is not skill based. Setting a macro and pushing a button then seeing who has the better computer connection is not skill based.

A game that is skill based will have a stellar combat system like Darkfall and Dark Souls. Leveling and gear will have minimal effect. Macros and auto targeting will not be an option.

Sota has eliminated macros with the card system, but it will take a lot more than that to make it skill based. With the lack of combat locking in to a first person view...it will likely never be considered skill based.

18. jamiesan

jamiesan Avatar

Sounds to me like you just want to argue. I've read everything that there is to read. As I understand it, the combat is something that has yet to be thoroughly worked and tested. They say it over and over in videos and articles that "the combat isn't finished". Yet you act like I'm ridiculous for injecting my opinion about how it should be fleshed out.

The fact is there will be pvp, it's not finished yet, and there's no reason for it to NOT be skill based considering that nobody that doesn't want to pvp will have to. Nobody is threatening your single player experience. You have no reason to be arguing with me. My message was for the staff, I'd like them to know that there are many people that care how the pvp turns out. And yea, there are. We're here, we liked uo, I'm not asking to change your play style so how about you back off mine.

About darkfall and similar games being skill based - please! Certainly much skill was involved but darkfall is FAR more character/class based than uo ever was. That's exactly what I don't want. Saying that uo isn't skill based is ignorant. You simply didnt delve into it if that's your opinion. I've never played a game where people dueled and did set up even fights as often as people did/do in uo. People went FAR with uo pvp. The best players (not characters or class) almost always won - that's skill based.

I feel like this discussion that I'm having right now is with people that have zero intention of pvping in sota and didn't spend much time or any time at all pvping in uo. Once again ; I'm not suggesting any changes to the single player, my hopes for sota pvp obviously don't affect any of you. Unless you actually have something to say about the not-finished pvp in sota I'll have to conclude that your'e jerks that like to argue on the internet. None of you have said anything at all that's relevant to the future of sota pvp.

19. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Hmmm... so suggesting that your logical first step is to read up on skill decks and how combat works in SotA to better understand the combat you keep claiming needs to be skill based was, apparently, not relevant? I see.

Also, a tip, if I may. Calling the people in an established community "jerks" is poor behaviour at the best of times. But when you haven't even hit double-figures with your posts, it just looks ridiculous... and suspicious.

20. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

We have no idea how skill based it will be. That's the intended goal. We know they're playing with some kind of "card" system.

Everyone has a different idea of what skill based means. You'd no doubt get better at Simon or whac-a-mole if you played long enough. Does that make make it a good system? Macros and various automation could make the game more about strategy than twitch or they could get everyone to copy eachother's macros. A poorly designed system could err either way.

Some players like "left brain" systems which value flawless execution and others like more intuition based systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.