Am I the only one who doesn't want to play card game combat??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Toff, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Yes, he dont understand the system because you want to cast fireballs all the time. :p So, log and you can ttry... but must be another day because the R5 doent have that system implemented. I really cannot take you seriously when you started to write speaking about Pokemon and that kind of no senses. Just try it and when you fell that is really bad and have better arguments share them, probably you will not be the only one.

2. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Starr has stated that you can do this (current, or at least was at the time, current thinking)... Its just that you wont be using that fireball spell as part of combos. You CAN lock skill to be always usable, but there is downside to that.

Surely you did know about combining 2 or more skills as greater or completely different effect.

And no, its not in as of r5. Mayby at r7 -r8 -r9.

Time Lord, Mishri, NRaas and 2 others like this.
  3. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I would point out that what sucks for PvE will suck worse for PvP.

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm not convinced that the cards are a bad thing.

Many games have the player carrying 9000 lbs/kg of equipment to cycle through... which is not a winner on the immersion for me.
    UO got to where it became the land of the ever expanding intricate macro... terrible for any scene flurry of video visual magic or combat display.

I can see how switching from one style of combat from another game can take some mental adjustment in the experience. Some games have a very fast combat display time while others have a comparatively slower one, yet more animated. It's the animation of the combat that I'm truly looking forward to seeing in any future PvP encounter here in SotA, because I think that scene will look awesome and not overwhelmingly short in duration!

I surely hope that SotA combat dose not become a quick slap in the face styled combat... Quick and easy, "I don't want"! I want the spectacle to last longer...

Another thing that I enjoy seeing about how SotA has been crafting combat, is that I enjoy a technical think about what skills or combat combos I want to "plan to use" with any encounter. SotA now has the exact style I like. I can go into my skills list, see the tree, ponder on what my plans are, set a few things I need in an easy to use bar on my screen and I'm all ready to go!

You can't pre-judge something that hasn't been tried yet. We got a taste of using combat skills this time and when I muse my mind to seeing these scenes X50 players engaged in PvP on the screen ... just place your hand across your eyes and use your imagination and say "ya, ok, now I see 50 players using that same animation killing each other" and you're then on your way to seeing a much more animated and entertaining battle scene that you can interact with.

With the cards, "the techno/macro geek doesn't rule the world" and doesn't rune the world for all the rest of the world that dose not have that great macro set up o_O

PvP Combat in great numbers on SotA, will be fantastic to see and participate in and maybe even be so enticing that PvP SotA style attracts those who only thought they were "Oh, I am basic crafting style player dude, I hate those PK and PvP guys".......

I think we have to all start thinking with our SotA heads and leave our UO and other gaming heads behind ;)
    "It's a New Britannia"!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

5. oggamer

oggamer Avatar

Sounds stupid honestly. Where can I read more about this system?

6. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

7. oggamer

oggamer Avatar

Huh just looks like skill trees to me I don't see where any cards come into play?

8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Time Lord, Mishri and Phredicon like this.
  9. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Thank you good sir, I did indeed.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  10. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

I've played this type of combat system before, can't remember the game but it was a top mmorpg on mmorpg.com for a while. If you want just fireballs you stack your first slot with all fireballs (is you have a 5 row deck you'd fill it out for all 5 rows for column 1). If you wanted a combo in uo spells for example you would make 1 your pvp combo and it would be explosion first row, Energy Bolt second row and maybe energy Bolt or poison or magic arrow in the third row. Sound like they plan on unlocking combos like Explosion 1 row, Energy Bolt 2nd row and Boom activated spell Explosion Bolt of chaos 3rd row. Sounds like something to prevent every button on your keyboard from being a hot key.

Time Lord, Numa and Noctiflora like this.
  11. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

For which I will be eternally grateful. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  12. oggamer

oggamer Avatar

What's wrong with having all skills and spells hot keyed. This will make it hard to create hybrid characters. Why reinvent the wheel? I don't want to build any type of deck, I just want to have fun and have it all avalible not in prison by some contrived combat system. this will be boring system.

Toff likes this.
  13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Why will it be boring simply because it is dynamic?

I think systems where you repeat the exact same keypresses repeatedly in a rotation to be boring.

And how does this stop a hybrid character? You can build a deck with any hybrid mixture of skills.

14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Makes sense, I don't want just another wheel: Give me an anti-gravity hover pad instead, and do away with those old fashioned wheels entirely.

Personally, I backed this game for its potential to innovate. Not really a big fan of any of the other systems I have seen in use to date in other games. :)

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  15. oggamer

oggamer Avatar

How is this immersion at all building decks lol, god does every great game have to be ruined because someone wants to get all fancy just for the sake of it?

This honestly doesn't look like a game in interested in sadly, as it stands now.

Sir_Hemlock and Toff like this.
  16. oggamer

oggamer Avatar

It's boring because instead if just playing the game I have to build a deck. you can't build a deck mid combat though you can switch.

I'm sure power gamers and micro managers will love this..oh that deck didnt work ill readjust it

I won't feel like I'm fighting a monster ill feel like I'm playing black jack

Luitpold likes this.
  17. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Look elsewhere then? Sure things may change but this is the current vision/thinking/path we are taking and I am looking forward to it.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  18. oggamer

oggamer Avatar

Of course ill look elsewhere silly. As I always end up looking elsewhere because the mmorpg world sucks and has for awhile and will for awhile. This seemed close but with this contrived combat system just fails.

19. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I'm waiting to see how it works. My biggest concern is that, with my limited tracking ability and lack of multi-tasking ability, I'll be constantly staring at the bar, trying to figure out which things are available to me, while I get stabbed to death. :p

If they can work it so you don't have always be watching the bar, it could be pretty awesome. I'm definitely willing to try it and see.

Phredicon and Time Lord like this.
  20. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

For most people, I imagine they will largely throw their skills in once and not need to touch the deck once.

Combat won't be anything like black jack, and the interface won't even show "cards" or "decks". You'll have a traditional ability bar, but what is available on the bar at that moment is dynamic.

I'd wait until you see it in action.

Time Lord and TheMadHermit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.