1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Navigation through New Britannia

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Completely different from the start from star citizen. Star Citizen started development in 2011, using CryEngine then sought crowd source funding in near the end of 2012, it raised $4 million in it's kickstarter. It took them nearly a year to reach 2.5x that. Portalarium took about a year to double their kickstarter funding. Shadowrun returns raised 1.8 million and the game they released... meh...

Mistakes Portalarium knew they made soon on was that it was better to make big promises and show pretty pictures rather than a proof of concept demo to show that they already had a playable demo.

Dredging up what happened over a year ago doesn't help anything.

Also comparing Star Citizen - far and away the most successful fund raising campaign in just dollar value and without all of the other reasons why they were so successful isn't helpful at all.

None of this has anything to do with the overworld map. - we can have a discussion on the reasons Why in another thread if you like. I've had this discussion a few times already.

Bodhbh Dearg, Time Lord and rild like this.
  2. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I think you are off by a factor of 4.

SC is over 40 million. 2.5 x 4 million is only 10 million.

So in the same breath of time (actually less than SOTA) they factored their money another MAGNITUDE, not just doubled it.

P.S.

As an aside, I do find it pretty funny that the 44 million stretch goal includes a 3D Map:

• Stellar Cartography – Walk among the distant horizons you’ve charted in Star Citizen’s dedicated “map room” featuring a 3D holographic representation of the known universe. Your map room will start with a basic guide to the United Empire of Earth, and will expand into something that is unique to you as you explore uncharted worlds and discover new secrets. Build the most in-depth universe map possible and show it off to visitors, or lock down your secret jump points and hidden trading posts so that no one else can follow. Interface directly with the Observist guide to find out everything from what ores are in demand on MacArthur to who serves the best pasta on Terra. And with the ability to leave your own notes about your encounters and travels, it’s more than a map: it’s your digital diary!

Cheers

3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

You are wrong.

Nearly one year after their initial kickstarter they were at $10 million.

The reason they saw explosive growth after that one year mark? The first module was released. They are about a year in advance of SoTA's development and fund raising. I expect SoTA will see similar trends in growth as we reach beta and get closer to release.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You seem woefully out of date in your information, for instance the hiring of more artists.

You discount anyone else's opinion because if it doesn't mesh with yours.

There is a reason many have felt you rubbed them the wrong way.

You see nothing but problems here.

5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

No, sadly, you are wrong.

They were over 10 million within 4 months of the KS.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/78179/so-i-made-a-crowdfunding-chart

values are in EUROS.

But hey, who uses numbers right?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...sxRWkwTXg2Rlc3clE0a3RwaXc&usp=drive_web#gid=4

Blow by Blow. Compare it to Smacks Numbers or My Numbers for Sota.

6. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

try again

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Just because some knuckle head on the forums puts euros instead of dollars doesn't mean it's correct

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Fund raising starts, Sept 1, 2012.

They reach $2 million on October 25, 2012

9 months, 9 days later: $10,000,000

I kept saying "nearly a year".

Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  8. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah I agree once this game is further in development we will likely see a lot more funding coming in. A lot of people will not be willing to spend cash on something at this stage of development because it is too early to really tell how the game will be in the end. Or they might pledge just enough to get into the prealphas but are unlikely to pledge more in many cases until they can see a lot more of the game.

9. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

You are seriously being obtuse for zero reason. Look at the spreadsheet that tracks the numbers, every single day, since the KS campaign.

Yeah, go ahead and keep arguing that everyone is out to get you and prove something they dont need to prove however.

Bury your head in the dirt all ya want, me, smack, others, have tracked this project day to day as well.

You are simply wrong.

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

That is their official numbers, from their official page. I will trust what they publish as fact.

11. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I disagree. This month marks the first time since the KS that the average per diem is under 3k dollars.

This month we have raised a total of 66k dollars (as of the last 30 minutes).

It is a marked decline in momentum, I feel, because of funding fatigue.

I am not sure another 6 weeks+ of waiting for R7 will do much to help that, as R6 is just a "polish" pass.

12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

13. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I was talking mainly about when the game is closer to beta. I am not that surprised that at this stage the funding has dried up a bit. I am not saying that right now the funding will increase significantly we are still way to early in development. Once we get in Beta though or near it I think we will or at least could see a big increase in funding.

Of course I do think there is things they could do now to increase funding, like updating the website with more current info for instance. I mean some of that stuff is so old it really should just be taken down.

14. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

10/06/2013
    $10,000,000
    $10,000,000

• Cloud Imperium Games will build their own mocap studio to improve the quality of Star Citizen and Squadron 42’s cutscenes.
    ACCOMPLISHED

You do realize that 10/06 == June 10th right?

They are a British company.

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Soooo.....this thread is waaaay off topic and a whine fest....

Still off topic but man the graphics look so good in the new screenshots:)

16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Problem is this is perceived as another of thousands of fantasy MMORPGs being developed this year. You can talk all you want about changing images and getting messages out there, but people are much more likely to wait and see when they have so many options. When it comes to SC there aren't that many games out there like it. Until this game can show that it will work, and it will be better than other options you wont see a massive amount of interest in it no matter how market it.

Bodhbh Dearg, Time Lord and Margard like this.
  17. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Sept 1st to June 10th is 9 months and 9 days. exactly like I said.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Actually, pedantic horse, you said almost.

Since when is 9/12 == 75% almost? 9/10 is almost, 7/8 is almost. 7/10 is I almost got a D.

And meanwhile, all I corrected from your original statement was the erroneous downplay of SC fund raising versus SOTA in the same period of time (a year) not almost a year.

SOTA doubled their cash (2 million to 4), and SC factored it 10x (2 million to 27 -- MORE than a magnitude).

Not almost.

19. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

For some. I am having lag issues, and also blow out/washed out issues on various cards (3 different Nvidia ones so far).

Few others in chat are having serious stutter issues. So, if it is a still frame game we're playing, yeah, looks nice.

20. tamino

tamino Avatar

I see problems where there are problems. It's better than being blind or in denial.

I've also followed this game every step of the way from the beginning as I've stated before, so I'm up to the minute. In fact, I just played some R6.

Hiring one technical artist does not solve the problem that's been present from the start: lack of art direction and a general lack of creative direction...

Even if the team has extreme velocity, if they're headed in the wrong direction, it's not getting them any closer to the goal. Hence the need for direction.

It's also a bit late to be hiring for these positions at this point, which is why I'm here pointing it out as a problem.

This game requires a major course correction before it fizzles out. I say this because I care and want the game and the team to succeed.

Time Lord, mike11 and Joviex like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.