Why all the Moderating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SaltyRobot, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Tact at it's finest. I am betting you didn't blow up on the moderator. You stated your case and conveyed your perspective.

Bodhbh Dearg, Kaisa and docdoom77 like this.
  2. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

You should be able to add me to the conversation if it was done via forum PM.

Or you can copy and paste everything into an email and send it to support@portalarium.com. The person who monitors the support desk can then forward it to me. :)

3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

cs2501x, Time Lord and Ned888 like this.
  4. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well I was going to send you 2, but the one seems to have disappeared.

5. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I kind of wish those who obsessively post and reply to every thread to apparently get their post count into the highest thousands would be moderated. :)

6. SaltyRobot

SaltyRobot Avatar

Who said this thread was meant to be productive. I am not looking for a solution. I am looking to see if others in this forum feel the same as me. It looks like there are some but that I am in the minority. This is fine with me. I posted this thread in a catch all general section just for that reason.

I am a part of many other forums. The threads go off topic but are still generally about the subject matter. These forums are very very rarely moderated. I am new to this forum in the sense of posting even though I have been watching for awhile now. I did not like being moderated and I do not like how much this forum is moderated. That is my opinion.

It looks like I will just need to be more careful about what I say in the future. But that will never change my opinion about this topic.

7. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

These statements seem to contradict. Or do you mean that your preference is for a fully unmoderated forum?

8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

He was referring to the "other forums" that he is a member of in the first statement and this forum in the second. I think. :confused:

blaquerogue and BillRoy like this.
  9. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Ah, yes, that's it. Good call.

Though my estimation of his preference was spot on, then.

10. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

For the most part I haven't seen what is happening to you to anyone else in these forums. I think the most I have seen is that the admins come down on Open PvP'er posters hard no matter how soft tone their Open PvP post is. I spoke with them through their email about this strange bias and they said they are working on it. I just wish there were more pro-Open PvP'ers on the dev team. I feel like nothing is even close to on their radar for it. Now I'm getting off topic, so anywho...

I too have gotten warnings and I would have to say the biggest confusion for me that required a lot of followup and time consuming back and forth with the Support team and the Forum Moderation team, is not knowing why. Most other forums I have been to actually quote the verbiage that is in violation BEFORE they edit it OUT of the post. Then give a brief explanation of which rule it is breaking.

The other thing I noticed is that there is a no cussing rule, but things that one wouldn't think is cussing, are getting counted as cussing. I said this to the Support team but, you should really define what words are cussing. Of course you don't want to put on your site the very words you dont want on it. But there are resources out there.

I was going by the FCC list. But then one day I got warned for something that is not on the list. So obviously it wasnt that simple. But you could point to another list off site and simply say "dont use these". A good example would be the no searing [dot] com site. It actually has a hilariously cleaver tool, type in what you want to say and put it through the filter and it pops out a clean version. They also have a \dictionary section to their site.

blaquerogue, Mordecai and Thisguy like this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've been moderated several times, and understood the reasons for it every time.

12. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

He meant "those" instead of "these", WtF, but you already know that. I really enjoy how you use this particular passive-aggressive and condescending tactic as if you're genuinely confused by a small typographical error. /golf clap

blaquerogue and BillRoy like this.
  13. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

As it happens, I did get tripped up just then. I'm not at my best today; I just got over a bout of food poisoning, and now I've picked up a cold from somewhere. #NotMyWeek, and my ability to read text on the screen seems to have taken a hit as a result.

Props for nailing the correct capitalization of my Dragon Name's short form, though. Not everyone gets that the 't' is supposed to be in the lower case.

Dame Lori likes this.
  14. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

15. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I've never been moderated :( I haven't noticed an issue but then I tend to be more of a lurker, too bust needlesly inflating my post count on other forums.

Someone getting narky 13 minutes after he already acknowledged his mistake /golfclap indeed, its needless sarcastic comments like them that really irk me.

16. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I once got my post edited - edited not deleted - without explanation,
    for referring to the game as 'Housing of the Avatar.' What rule was I in violation of then?

17. SaltyRobot

SaltyRobot Avatar

Careful this statement is not on topic because you mentioned Open PVP in a thread about moderation. This is sort of a similar situation that got me moderated on the other thread. I of course completely understand why you are adding this to this thread. I am just syaing that the moderators may not feel the same way because mentioning open PVP is already frowned upon and then for it to be in a non PVP thread may get you banned. LOL

Oh wait now I'm making a joke. Is that on topic? This needs to be a serious conversation about moderating threads.

18. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

LOL, "Housing of the Avatar". For a long time that moniker wasn't far from the truth! For a while, I too was dismayed at how much attention was going to housing (seemingly all of it). Thankfully the game is coming into its own now :)

19. SaltyRobot

SaltyRobot Avatar

Love It. But back on topic before all of our posts are deleted.

Or maybe I just need to mention Moderator in this post and it won't get deleted since that is the topic.

Please begin and end all posts in this thread with something about Moderators (Not negatively of course) before making jokes that way it can't be deemed off topic.

20. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

I think the more important point is that this needs to be a respectful conversation. If it's going to become a cesspool of sarcasm and contempt for the moderation staff and/or Portalarium, it'll end up being locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.