1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Combat and PVP team update!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well we are close to the same age them :). No I am not against fast travel, but I am firmly against the recalls. Hopefully mounts or something can get implemented. I would not mind a guild perk gate spell or something like it, as long as it took 2 or more people to cast it. As far as the instant gratification, that's what happened to UO and WoW. I remember both of them vividly. WoW when it first came out is not even the same game as it is now. you had to get to level 40 before you even got your first mount. now you can get it at level 10, and you can get to level 10 in like an hour lol. they totally dumbed down the game from what it used to be. I see your point and hope we can find a solution. I am willing to bend on this a bit, but I need to see that my concerns are seen by those who would be able to address them. :)

Gaelis, Kaisa, Isaiah and 3 others like this.
  2. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I don't think we're going to get much dev feedback on Recall at this point. Not with the focus on combat. We've kinda hijacked this thread (it's tangentially related). I'm enjoying the back and forth, but I imagine that's all it will be for the time being.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

how about a subterfuge skill to read magic scrolls? Thieves in D&D had the ability to read magic as a skill. In the case of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser by Fritz Leiber, the Mouser started off as a wizard's apprentice before taking on the swashbuckling life of a rogue. So he was known to use a little magic here or there, although he was kind of an archetype for theves in RPGs.

EDIT: If this was the case, then people wouldn't have to pick up just a little bit of magery to do magic. They could pick up a rogue skill to be able to use magic from scrolls. Then not everybody will have to have a little magic.

***Unless picking up Earth Magic innate skills is considered learning magic skills. Then I think most warriors will be mages. However I personally don't see the innate skills, like resisting elemental effects, or other skills as learning the actual magic.

4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

We do differ on this to some degree...but not entirely :)....I have come to agreement that recall/gate/and even mark should be expensive and high level magic. It will take some work to get good at it, and then it will take even more work to be able to create scrolls for people. That's alot of work to learn the skill itself and then the ability to make the scroll...I remember inscription was no joke to GM either :)...

The only issue I see is you don't want people who didn't work hard to learn the skill to cast it and to create the scroll to be able to access it without that work being done...Well this is the issue for some people who want access to these spells to be available to everyone. Technically it is available to everyone given the time taken on a character has been achieved. I know some people may want the skill so bad they will take up magery to learn that. I also know that people who don't really want to be a mage will not because it would gimp their melee skills.

I guess...if you have money enough in game to buy scrolls to mark, gate and recall, then it should be an option. Yes I agree it's a very powerful ability to move around from place to place...hence the need for skill and cost. I don't see an issue with being able to buy the scrolls if someone has taken the time to learn both skills required to make the scrolls. But as of now we don't know if inscription is in game...All the more reason for it :)...

I am happy to have this discussion tho! My mage will be pure and have room to learn the skills needed to do all important mage abilities including mark, recall and gate :)

5. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Keep in mind we're not commonfolk in the middle ages though, we are a specially chosen group of people from another dimension (our own) if the canon sticks. I don't like a skill to use scrolls. Scrolls should simply be an item, No use skill involved, unless we need a minor skill in alchemy as well to imbide potions. Wands and enchanted items, too, if we are trying to be "realistic" but I don't think anyone would go for that.
    The end result of a read skill would be a) nobody puts points in and never uses scrolls b) put a couple points in, the bare minimum, and be irritated it detracts from your skill build (even for mages who can cast the spells anyway!)

6. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

This is not D&D, its ultima and the Avatar ALWAYS used magic, you actually couldn't even CHOSE to be a pure fighter at least in U7 and SI where you had to at least cast spells like death speak

7. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

While that's true, we've never had multiple avatars before either. It's fine to say the Avatar always had magic. It was the same guy. When you have thousands or tens of thousands of avatars it is much less clear.

That being said, I think it's important to keep Ultima lore in mind in these discussions.

8. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Yes, actually I would prefer no skill be needed too. A reading skill might be ok though if it's linked to the crafting trees & not combat. But then again, I suppose that could irritate crafters. :)

I wouldn't mind if reagents are required for using scrolls just for balance purposes. Maybe less reagents than the creation or a different one from the creation ones. (edit: hmm, not sure how that would balance out with using potions or items though.)

I don't even care how difficult they make it to master making the scrolls. I was GM Scribe in UO and loved that profession. And while I never understood just why recall scrolls were a relatively low level scroll to make, I had no objections since I earned a nice living selling them.

Maybe if we do get something like this, the travel scrolls could be a very high level scroll, expensive to make, and therefore expensive to buy. (and maybe expensive to use if they add a reagent use to the requirement for using the scroll).

Make it the hardest thing to master in the game for all I care, I just want to see fast travel available, the ability for Scribes to make travel scrolls, & the use of scrolls to be accessible to everyone.

9. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Good points.. Disagree with the "alchemy to imbibe pitons " though. You need to 'read' a scroll but I think everyone already knows how to drink.

Still, I agree with your viewpoint on how people will feel about a skill like this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. High Baron Asguard

the avatar is YOU, you will be reading constantly whether its in game, messaging or the UI. Even more so since this wont be voiced so everything will be text. To then claim your illiterate would be stupid in the extreme

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I read English not SotA runes. ;) ... Laughs ... Anyway we are getting off topic. Scrolls are a good alternative to everyone being a mage to travel. Just need to work out the specifics.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The Avatar did not always have to use magic. I played a shepherd in U4 (I picked humility every time when the gypsy read my fortune). He couldn't do much of anything, but swing with a shepherd's crook, but he got much more potent near the end game.

EDIT: I love Ultima lore, but why not through out ideas when we have them. Good or bad, they might cause somebody else to come up with a new idea that works. Besides a spiritual successor can do new things, while keeping true to the spirit of the story.

13. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

I agree, in as many Ultima games as I could I used pure melee until I absolutely had to use magic. I used whatever spell was required to move past a point, and went back to pure melee. I use to be really annoyed that games forced me to take some sort of magic to be competitive. And yes, fast travel helps greatly, if only looking at the volcano eruption and meteor strikes, who gets there quickest gets a jump on the increased rares.

Functionality should be available to everyone, no matter how they choose to play. My reason entirely that fast travel should be limited to the lunar rifts, and if there is any other forms of fast travel it should not be tied to any form of combat skill tree.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Fast travel might lessen the importance of lunar rifts actually. I don't remember using the moongates in Ultima online much except to try to run away from a group of thugs.

15. High Baron Asguard

anyone remember the orb of the moons? (especially in U6)

Not to mention recall was vital for forge of virtues if you didn't want to lose a boat ever time you died (and end up stuck because you couldn't get there through the pile of boats)

Time Lord, docdoom77 and Isaiah like this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That was an awesome item! One came with the game box. It was a one of a kind item though.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

After watching the PvP Video yesterday , the private Duke Violation Community PvP discussion and some of the discussion i would sum it up like this.

Camp 1: The reaction , skill , counter-react PvP players - the more battles depend upon reflexes of the player the better.

Camp 2: The ones who love strategic , preset build card deck encounters with more of a tactical PvP - the less the battles depend on reflexes of the player the better.

And the goal is to get both camps in the same bed. :)

Samlee, Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  18. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Portalarium never picks easy goals do they? :p

Ya gotta love the crazy bastiches.

Ragnabrock, Samlee, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  19. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

If it was easy everyone would be doing it. ;)

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't think we need fast-twitch reflexes, especially if there is a random deck. The combat pace would be hectic. Besides many of the backers are not teenagers with super fast twitch reflexes. We all can use timing though (young and old)! Another thing, I think the deck thing needs to be examined a little bit and tweaked before you can count me in on camp2 either. Camp 1 I'm definitely not for that at all.

The goal of getting both camps in the same bed may not be nessisary, and those camps might not truly even exist. Although I have seen some discussions about this issue off and on for the past year or so, and it seems like most people seemed to be okay with it being more timing based. There wasn't much opposition to those posts at all either.

Just because somebody was speaking on a live chat doesn't mean they reflect the entire community.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.