1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Combat and PVP team update!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The truth of the matter is it will likely not be full loot. However they will likely create a similar risk vs reward experience within the realm of Shroud of the Avatar's perspective.

We cannot expect a 17 year old game mechanic to be transplanted into a new game like this. Full loot just won't have the same feel in this game. It might be too extreme for the loser, and it might not give the same benifit to the looter. Sure you might be able to loot the items, but maybe reusing the resources won't function the same, or we might not have as much use for the items we loot. There's all kinds of possibilities that the devs have a better understanding of at this point.

One thing is for sure we will not have FULL loot in this game. We will likely have some loot. Hopefully the devs can find the heart of the concern. We want PvP to pay off for the good players. We also want the other player to really feel the loss too.

If we can get something good when we win, and make sure the person who loses feels our power that dominated them... then I think the devs succeed.

The problem is we who have been hoping for full loot need to have an open mind.

Mishri and docdoom77 like this.
  2. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

You don't want PVP in your city? Make sure your residents pay your taxes and use that money to post guards, problem soved. Now you have to entice people to your city by offering protection/rolpley/rent space. You want to be a Lord of your keep and town? Well then you must be able to afford protection.

As for what land do I own? None until I see what they are doing with PVP I am not buying in. If they actually make a WORLD pvp system or the snooze fest you described. I also do not see a problem with people turning off the PVP flag in their cities if desired. There should definitely be the option.

As for full loot? Isn't this a reboot of Ultima Online or is this another WoW clone ******** festival?

Because if that is the case I will defnitely not buy land. If I can not act as the Lord of my land and offer protection what is the point of being a Lord at all?

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

nah, just turn off pvp for your town, no hassle to other people.

and no, this had been stated a lot over 17 months. IT IS NOT UO2.

and the word you used to describe people who are not enraptured in pvp is frowned upon.

cheers

Mishri, Time Lord, Ned888 and 3 others like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I can offer protection because they've already stated that player settlements will be able to opt into PvP, making their scene open PvP.
    The converse of this is that by default, as with World Wide PvP, player settlements will Not be Open PvP.
    All I need do to protect my village is ... nothing.

Secondly, I have no intention of charging Rent or Taxes to my residents. The settlement is Tax Free to me, and I see no need to turn my settlement into a for-profit endeavor. They may need to pay rent for their lot, if the lot was not granted as part of a pledge package, but that fee is a fee charged by the game, not me. I will be a feudal lord. The land belongs to me, granted to my by Lord British to hold in his name. I hold the right and responsibility to use that land as I see fit, and will grant and revoke the privilege of living in the Village. I will not take on the implied fiduciary responsibility toward and rights of the tenets of my land implied by a rental contract.

A third point, each person's estimation of value is their own to determine. You are free to not contribute should you find the game or elements of the game not too your liking. Personally, I've contributed more that anyone should rationally contribute to a game, much less and unfinished one, specifically because I believe in the vision that Richard, Starr and the team have put forth.

Which segues nicely into... No, this is not a reboot of Ultima Online. It is a story driven game that is the spiritual successor of the entire Ultima series and will include elements of Ultima Online, but also correct many of the mistakes that were exposed with that design.

Lastly, your post is rude and condescending, insulting both the developers and all those that do not believe as you do.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like the idea of a player owned town to turn on PvP and make it a PvP zone, but I don't see why there will be a need to create a town that is a PvP free zone.

Here's what I mean. If the people in the town don't want to PvP they never have to flag for PvP. Problem solved. Nobody can attack a player who isn't flagged for PvP.

However those who have flagged PvP, enter that town maybe the guard presence could be set to to high so that PvP is not even reasonably possible due to the guard presence, but to turn off PvP flags in that town might create a safe haven for people to exploit or to escape being followed etc. In fact, a PvP person might even place his or her house in such a town so they can always go back to a safe place and nobody can get them there. Which isn't fair for other PvP players who have a house in a normal city.

So I respect players who don't want to PvP, but if it can be used as a cheap escape plan or a PvP exploit I would rather the players flagged for PvP still have a flag. I also understand they might not want to see people fighting all the time either. I don't like criminals running around in my town, but the cops in my city are rather serious, and criminals don't mess around in my town much anyway, and when they do the cops get them, put them in cuffs and make them sit on the side of the road (shamed) while they get arrested. I've seen that several times.

So maybe these towns might discourage PvP by having the guards arrest both people fighting, and kick them out of the town. Then people might not want to run from fights into places like this either. Let them get arrested and booted out of the town if they lose to the guards. It's hard to PvP and fight quick guards all at the same time, but I would prefer that then have the flag removed in that town. It would feel like a cheat.

EDIT: Also if the guy lives in that town, and he gets arrested, then let him or her have to wait to go back into the town. That way they will think twice about placing their house in a PvP free zone as an exploit.

SECOND THOUGHT: Instead of booting them out of the town, have both players sent to a court house or a jail where they are released, and maybe a fine as well. That way if a guy lives in that town they are not locked out of the town. Also banning an attacker from a town while having another PvPer living in that town is still an exploitable situation. So the PvPer could be friends with the town owner and have his enemies banned from the town... that would be cheap. I hope this doesn't happen either.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

First, ******** is an offensive term. I would appreciate you not using it in the future, thanks.

Second. NO, THIS IS NOT A REBOOT OF ULTIMA ONLINE. This is the spiritual successor to the entire Ultima series.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I think you're over thinking it, Isaiah...

A PvP+ settlement will be a PvP Zone. Anyone that enters is flagged. Those entering, and not flagged would be warned, so they can make an informed choice.
    A PvP- settlement will be just like any place else on the map. Those flagged for Global PvP through the Gift of the Oracle Quest will be able to PvP with other similarly flagged Avatars under the same rules as in the rest of the world.

I would not expect, nor would I want my settlement to have special rules that would ban PvP amongst those that have chosen to flag themselves for Global PvP.

Should there be a resident that I find objectional, for whatever reason, I will simply revoke their right to live in my settlement. There is no special case or techology required.

Lord Spaz, Mishri, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  8. Duke William of Serenite

Alright I apologize on the ******** comment, and yes I was mistaken on the reboot because of what is stated on the main page of SOTA.

And I quote ""The simple fact is that we've reached an era when it is a breath of fresh air to see a developer return to the roots of what an MMORPG could—and perhaps, should—be."
    - Reuben "Sardu" Waters, Ten Ton Hammer

Return to the roots. Well UO roots is a hardcore pvp game and that is what it was known for. UO set the stage of hardcore PVP and RP and WoW took that idea and buried it forever. Now everyone wants a clone of WoW.
    So again my mistake for taking what the introductory web page reads, and violating it with my fond memories of the best MMO that ever existed in my opinion.

9. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

That's all well and good, but it's a quote from an outside source (i.e. not someone on the development team). Additionally, the kickstarter mission statement is very clear about it being a spiritual successor to all of Richard's RPG work.

You should also consider that while it is a valid viewpoint to look at UO through the lens of PvP, it was not the only innovation of the game, and to many gamers there are other aspects that were more important. SoTA also brings over the all the social aspects of UO and the crafting aspects of UO, which, I don't think it's a stretch to say were equally important to the designers of UO.

What I'm saying is: PvP may be the most important thing to you, but it is not the only thing which defines the genre.

I think it's important to realize that whatever your key feature is (mine is the single player experience), it is only one part of a very large set of features and must be balanced against many other aspects of the game in order to create something we can all enjoy.

My gosh. That was super preachy. Dunno where it came from. Feel free to treat it as lightly or as seriously as you want. :p

Ragnabrock, Time Lord, jiirc and 4 others like this.
  10. Duke William of Serenite

Speak for yourself bud, not everyone will have tax free settlements. Not everyone has 1k-10k lying around for a video game. I am speaking of the normal people with 9-5 jobs and work pay check to paycheck like myself. I would and mark my words will buy a Knight pledge if the PVP looks good.

Again this and all of my posts are suggestions of what I feel this game should and can be. If I get a little emotional calling names I apologize I tend to get potty mouth when I feel strongly about where I stand.

Don't kick me off the island yet I have many years of roleplay and hardcore pvp experience under my belt to literally litter this forum with ideas.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

All this has happened before, and it will all happen again.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

When Jovex said turn off PvP in your town ... I thought he meant flag the whole town a PvP free zone.

However, I agree with everything you said. It should be like a regular town, but maybe some towns don't want a bunch of people fighting in the streets. Then maybe they can elect to have a higher guard presence.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Literal litter is a bad thing though. You WANT to be figurative in this case, otherwise your ideas "literally" belong in a garbage pail! :O

Mishri, Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

So should have I said a parable? j/k

Clarification is nice.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

That's hilarious, I had just posted this on Twitter earlier today: https://twitter.com/JasonBrock20/status/490174599842103297

16. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Sort of. I meant that by default the town, like say Owl's Head, is a non-combat zone for people without the flag.

Now, the whole politics of people fighting in your town, even if it is non-pvp, though they are flagged and CAN PVP, that is less of something I think Port should make absolute, to your point, needs to be up to the town "owners" to handle.

They can ban people, or allow it, or run a police squad, etc... THAT is the very essence of running a town.

My greater point was, it is just not "ON" by default because. It is something you setup with the config of the town, AND, if it is would be something to toggle in the life cycle of the town, then there needs to be a greater amount of announcement for the change, like people who are merchants and now need to MOVE because of a non-pvp town going pvp, etc...

Again, internal town politics =p

Just call the meta Town game Diplomacy of the Avatar.

Time Lord and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

You do have to ask the question why anyone would choose to live in a lot where some other player can make this arbitrary decision tho.

I see player towns for PvP groups and Guilds, but why I would live in one as a single player and face maybe losing a good lot sometime for some capricious reason ?

I wouldn't.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If you don't trust me to treat you fairly, it would be best for us both if you didn't live in my village. You've experience me through these forums. In your estimation, would you consider me likely to be capricious? Would you expect that revocation of citizenship in the village would be my first option explored?

Mishri and Time Lord like this.
  19. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'm just talking in general about the nature of these lots.

A lot can happen in the game, you make alliances, things change, you get mad at a player, and now they happen to live in your village....things happen.

All I'm saying is that it seems to me to be a kind of disadvantage that non player town lots don't have.

Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.