1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ara

Ara Avatar

Time would as you say be a part of the risk vs reward but forcing players to stay online is to me a broken system it will just force player's to come tired to work or school. It is a suggestion that just wouldn't work in practice.

I prefer Ristra's suggestion over the one you proposed. Skill based looting is the way to go not putting a forced time limit to when you can bank your looted stuff.

And how you can claim that combat isn't alone risk vs reward is just above me, can you explain how you came to that conclusion? Without putting my gear into risk by entering PvP and combat i won't risk anything. Combat is the risk vs reward since if played poorly the player loose his gear.

A sneaky PK attack would be just fine if the PK player have something to loose such as how it worked in UO Renaissance with it's statloss. PK.s in Renaissance took the highest risk of all players.

Isaiah [MGT] and blaquerogue like this.
  2. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

They don't have to stay online, the timer is in online time. They could log off for a week, but when they come back, that timer will restart and they will still have to hold the gear for the full amount of time. Either way, it's just an idea.

As for risk vs reward coming from combat alone; that is a fallacy as you have no idea how weak or powerful your opponent is. It is not a consistent and measurable risk, therefore not a valid measure to judge.

You can combine this with an experienced players ability to identify new players and a PKs love of attacking those already in combat; attacking in groups or from hiding and it should be pretty easy to mitigate risk.

If you can remove the risk, then it's no risk at all. C'mon now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I have an additional factor I am thinking should be in my loot proposal. Maybe it's time for me to start a thread for discussion on the full layout.

4. Ara

Ara Avatar

Aye i would welcome that.

5. Ara

Ara Avatar

Aye if you put it like that then i support your idea.

Without entering combat you will not take part in risk vs reward but of course you wont have any idea what risk the opponent stand for before combat.

I can assure you that PK:s that attacked my guild from a hiding position almost every time ment a more or less certain death for them, we were that skilled. What PK:s risked was getting punished with the alignment system that removed their character from ingame play for a very long time. The risk anyone else playing UO Renaissance was never even close to that risk. Sure if PK:s attacked less skilled player's they most likely would get away with it but how on earth should they know before combat that this will be an easy kill? They didn't and i like such a system, being unaware of who you were fighting was one part of why UO Renaissance PvP gave such an adrenaline kick. I never felt the same in any game afterwards.

blaquerogue likes this.
  6. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

One suggestion would be to have the game calculate what each player could lose, using the ransom amounts the game will already have to calculate anyway, and balance it when it comes to allowing loot (or the ransom values).

So, for example, if you are wearing gear worth $100, and someone using gear worth $10 beats you, he would only be able to loot from you the value equivalent of his own gear, $10. If you beat him, you get his $10. Each player putting on the line the same value, balanced and enforced by the game rules.

End result, if you want a stab at great gains, be ready to risk great value yourself.

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Interesting perspective, I might have to ponder this a little.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Ara

Ara Avatar

Aye good thinking Silent. =)

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What? A useful suggestion on a PvP question coming from a primarily PvE Player? I'd been led to believe this was unpossible. I seem to have been lied to.

crossbowsoda likes this.
  10. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I could get behind that.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

You sound like Bill Shatner and Henry Rollins!

crossbowsoda likes this.
  12. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Ooo! SS I want to have your puppies! That's a good idea! Fair, equitable and encouraging at the same time!

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Two of my favorite people... but not two I would have thought to mention in the same breath...

crossbowsoda likes this.
  14. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

The leaf blowers...

IS THERE ANYTHING MORE FUTILE?!

heh, I love that album. xD

15. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Enjoy!

William Shatner, Henry Rollins & others decided to make an album a few years back. Pretty great.

"Why can't all these Gods just get along?! /
    I mean -- they're omnipotent, and not in the present! /
    What's the problem (WHAT'S THE PROBLEM!?)"

16. Floors

Floors Avatar

You can call this "Fair Loot"

17. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

looting cash instead of items is about as fair as i'd be willing to go before I called it a pointless activity. it doesn't have to be entirely the persons gold. could the game chip in a percentage? otherwise players are just not going to carry much gold, I like pvping for the fun of it but having it being worthwhile in more ways than just fun is very important to a lot of people otherwise people that would normally pvp would just otherwise do something more productive.

18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

or you could put if someone is 10 levels lower than you you cannot attack them, but at lvl 20 all is fair game, that gives the new PVPrs a chance to get a taste of it from others their level. Still full loot since at 20th level you should have something decent. but all full loot, as much as your weight allows at least and if you overload your stuck in the spot until you drop something. I know they say there is no level but at higher skill (level) to me, so noone under 10 skill level can be attacked by anyone with skill level higher than 10 until you reach 20 skill level.

19. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

And, to make it even more ironic, one I would never experience myself due to my deep ingrained aversion to player looting.

The fact I'm not going to engage in looting does not mean I can't make suggestions, though. As long as I can opt out of it, I want the PvP to be the most enjoyable possible to the largest number of players, in order to make SotA as successful as it can get ;)

To be fair, it's not completely my original idea. Someone (who I sincerely can't remember the name) had already posted a suggestion, some time ago, to allow players to select how much they are willing to risk in PvP. What I posted here is just a simplified, tweaked, and automated version.

There are other issues if this idea is to be tackled seriously, though. It's fine for balanced encounters, but for many cases, including ganking (defined here as multiple players attacking a single one), the rules would need to be tweaked. It's more a starting point than a final suggestion.

Ara likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Stop Thief!" :confused:
    I would hope that a thief skill could be the slider in something like this... Looting is a nasty business and then there are the traps that only the owner knows. I once met a man named Newlin and in combat situations he would place a grenade in his backpack attached to some communications wire and fit the grenade into a beanies and wienies can just in case we/he was ever caught. In training he would set many such traps everywhere using simulators that went boom.
    "It takes a thief" and I would say that looting falls into that which we :eek: "TAKE" :mad:
    But yet also, looting takes time and such time could also be shortened by the thief skill ;)
    Just some thoughts... on a very good idea from our "Silent Strider" :cool:
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.