1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

Then that will be the result of their test. Why should I want them to include a feature upon release that has no demand?

Conversely, if there is a very strong demand, it will have been a good thing that testing and demand analysis was performed. If they were to abide by your unfounded opinion, they would miss a valuable opportunity.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've asked them to abide by nothing.

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

You said they shouldn't even bother to test full loot. Too fragmenting, right?

4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

When I talk about flagging for full loot, I mean that would affect the way the system would decide that was available when players looted not the matching or any of that. If a stingy crybaby wants to come into the same hex that I'm in I should be paired with them I just won't be able to take all of their stuff. Conversely with the system taking the strictest level of looting they wouldn't get much from me. On the other hand if DryLootyMcLooterson loots me they'll get everything they feel like taking.
    I guess we could have a no loot flag for those who are into that on such a system. Just because I think it would be stupid and few people would use it I am not going to argue against the devs testing that out because I know of at least 2 people that want it and it wouldn't be terrible to make them happy.

BTW: I'm a stingy crybaby about my gear and loot too, I just don't let anyone see me cry or carve the looter's name into my desk as a reminder to kill them on sight but trust me the loss of every gold piece and scrap of leather is mourned!

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm not sure how that could work. If I were in a group, how could the system decide what to display in the loot bag if people in the group had a different loot setting?
    Since the entire system already depends on Selective Multiplayer and is already sorting you based upon your preferences, it would be a lot more simple just to make a further sort and place all the people who want full loot in the same instances, and be done with it.

6. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

In my mind, PVP will not be the first criteria to be filtered. It will be friends first, guild second and PVP third.

This way you will play with the people you choose whether they are flagged PVP or not. If I'm not mistaken that was the original idea of the game....

Thinking Neverwinter Nights, not a traditional MMO model might lead to different conclusions.

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  7. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, Ned. Of course that will be the criteria, but so what. Members of the KGB will be my friends, and they will be my guild and they will be flagged for PvP, so yes, we will be sorted out together, along with everyone else with similar preferences.

8. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I think my point is that the game is being designed to primarily be played with your friends and guild mates. This conversation is making it sound like the game is primarily for encounters with strangers. While this is certainly a possibility and probably encouraged, I don't think that stranger interaction is going to be a primary factor in the segregation algorithm. I think it will be secondary.

Some of my friends PVP and some don't. I still want to play with them first; not a bunch of strangers who happen to share my combat preferences.

My hexes, which are hosted on my or my friends machines should be populated by my peeps as was described. Others are welcome after we are sorted out. Even in open world, friends and guild will be higher priority than fellow PVP players.

I don't think that you're going to always get a good selection of PVP opponents in your hexes. You will be getting your buddies. Better start friending some random opponents to make sure you see them.

Beno Ledoux and Duke NRaas like this.
  9. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

only 150 online at times where the most people are online at the same time.

This number was for Open PVP with the full loot tag. I divided the community into what I thought would be the total PvP community then I divided the PvP community to what I guessed would be the full loot PvPers.

**I personally understand where you are coming from. Many months ago this is how I thought PvP should work as you were mentioning. Although now that we've tested the game I can't seem to visualize segregating PvP and PvE people.

Also I really don't like segregating PvP ransom, and PvP full loot. I would rather come up with an inbetween compromise.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

In the last PvP dev chat a month ago, the devs covered this. By 'Friends', they mean people with whom you have a relationship with. That includes enemies. As a PvPer, I will be matched equally strongly with my enemies as I will with my friendly friends, so I expect that I will indeed get a good selection of PvP opponents in my hexes.

Vendetta Beretta likes this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think your estimate is an order of magnitude low, at least. Testing will confirm who has the best estimate.

12. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

same here.

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

Then don't draw conclusions based upon percentages for which you have no clue.

14. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

It was an educated guess based upon the figures being used in our conversation. My original number was 600 and I think that is way too high.

*I think it will be better to not segregate the PvP community into two groups.

15. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Early on the dev's mentioned turning on full loot open pvp near the end of beta for fun. So we can find out how many people actually enjoy that. I don't know if they are still considering that or not, but I think it seems like a good idea. Looting rights are relatively easy to change.

You and a few others really come across as, "Don't care, needs Full Loot". Would full loot work in other games like League of Legends? Would it work in World of Warcraft? No.. nobody would do a full loot option in world of warcraft(okay, maybe 50 people out of the 10 million would), gear is just too hard/time consuming to acquire.

That is why I keep saying it's important to wait till we see how equipment works. Fully enhanced/enchanted/affinity gear might be really tough to get a hold of. No way would I ever pvp with full loot if it took me 10 hours to get this one piece. I am hoping for Rare items, the kind where I had to be in this hex at this time and there was a 1% chance of this spawn this hour and I happen to get it. (Whether it's a crafting material or alchemy enchanting material or the item itself). If I spent weeks hunting it down, and did this for every piece of my equipment and I was paying top dollar repair bills to keep it up, I don't want to lose it in PvP.

If equipment is UO easy to get, just need the easy to find ore or leather and craft it up real quick no big deal. Heck, most of the time I just ran around in cloth or naked. Equipment didn't really matter. Then sure, full loot doesn't ruin my game and I'd consider participating in full loot.

I don't like the UO easy to get version... I prefer the challenge and time consuming nature of rare spawns. (I don't care much for WoW's raid/dungeon system to get gear, or the gated approach of you can make this special cloth/ore once per week so you can make this special item once a month) Dungeons and raids are fun, but not when you have to do them over and over and over again so you can finally get that 1 piece from that 1 boss after 40 tries. It might sound the same as a "rare" drop but it's that grind of going through the entire thing that I get annoyed about. If it was just the boss fight itself, that's not so bad. (There are a few raids in WoW that are just 1 boss, which I liked).

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  16. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Even the current day UO cannot have full loot. The gear is to valuable. The best items have automatic repair on them too, so they never wear out. UO is totally screwed up these days if you ask me. The freeshards are the only place to look. It will be interesting to see what Broadsword does with it though.

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

Not at all. Purely as an option. If it affects no one who doesn't select full loot, why not?

Caska DiFumarate and Duke NRaas like this.
  18. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

full loot kills the purpose to pvm

19. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

fully agree considering most ppl gank

20. Owain

Owain Avatar

Most will not elect to go full loot, so I don't think the monsters can heave a sigh of relief quite yet.

For those who don't want to PvM, if they can earn a living on full loot and it doesn't affect anyone else, why not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.