1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Chris' Release 8 Ramblings!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Also PK-Ks expensively geared to the teeth will take down and kill faster than anyone...all while saving the true innocent. :)

Owain and Chris like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

So your suggestion is that we remove all time sensitive elements from the game because it will negatively impact people with lag? Also that a bunch of skilled PKers will gang up and kill players and take your stuff? So in short, you're requesting we remove skill from the game and prevent players from acting in groups. We're not doing either of those things and neither does or would any other game on the planet. We do have better ways of dealing with net lag (not to be confused with frame rate!) than other games do though which I've covered in past threads.

I think you might over reacting and going for the "Michael Day" style worst case version of what could happen. Yes, skilled players could work in groups naked... still not seeing anything to discuss here.

Bolck, Narf, Mitch [MGT] and 11 others like this.
  3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

That vote, either way, is FOR the current system :)

4. Chris

Actually, we didn't give you enough skill points but maxing out focus skills grants you 10 slots, not 4 or 5. Our bad for not making that part easier. We originally thought keeping that number low would reduce confusion but just frustrated people.

Absolutely can go with a mix of noble (locked) slots and dealt slots. My honest belief is that will be the optimal solution for even the best players.

Bolck, Narf, Mitch [MGT] and 6 others like this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Chris,

I loved this write up....the number one thing I got out of this is how passionate and excited you seem to be. I'm home soon and will be part of the testing soon....I got a lot of good feelings out of this post.

Always have been a supporter of the card system since I have played a lot of card games(not just magic) and could see the logical approach it could add.

Retro, Gaelis and Chris like this.
  6. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

It is interesting to see you compare SotA to MMOs and not MMORPGs specifically. Have you ever tried playing Team Fortress on an Asian server against Asian players while in Austin? I remember shooting fireballs at people in R8 who showed perfectly in hit position on my screen only to see them magically get away because of that half a second ping round trip. Seems on the server they were already behind obstacles or another position while my client lagged behind. The more action and real time elements you add, the more emphasized such problems become.

Crikey likes this.
  7. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Thanks Chris !

Bolck, Narf and Gaelis like this.
  8. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

That would mean 2/3 of those whom voted support the current combat system. Fear not Prince Guni, the combat system as it is, is far from finished. It will improve, just have some faith and patience.

Saosis, Narf, Gaelis and 4 others like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Using a poll where two thirds of the people voted the opposite of your point of view as a reason for change is not a winning strategy.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I hate it when people use unofficial polls on forums as a gauge of actual support or not support. It is more likely that people who agree with them will even click on their thread. The results are also of too small a percentage of users to really be usefull at all.

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The subject of lag is a valid one when you're talking about mechanics that require nothing but timing. I don't think that the card system qualifies, but I agree that your fireball example does.

12. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I understood that part, I just can't handle more than 5 or so random slots. It's too much for me. Frankly, I have trouble tracking in a 3d environment if I don't have to look at a skill bar, one with random slots is too much for me, but at 5 slots with one locked, it's nearly manageable.

All I was saying was that I think the ability to get a bunch of different skills into a small toolbar is an innovation. In most games, I'm stuck with whatever skills, spells and quickchanges I can fit into the number buttons. If I want something beyond that, it's out of reach or deep inside menus. I like that the glyph system let's me access a greater number of skills by rotating them.

My guess is that when the system is more "done," that I'll split my bar with a 3-4 noble skills and 2-3 random skills, so that I have access to the deck, but I don't have to be scanning it all the time. But it all depends on how it comes together.

Ragnabrock and Bolck like this.
  13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I would agree with Chris on that. I tried it all three ways: all locked slots (Dallas mode), all dealt slots ("regular" mode) and a combination of both (hybrid). The hybrid approach clearly worked the best for me (at least in PvE - in PvP, so-so).

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And 2/3rds said they did like it.

2/3rds, if I remember my fractions correctly, is twice as many as 1/3rd.

15. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

Chris, I am not suggesting any of that. But you have to make a fundamental design decision how much you want combat to be action / real time and reward player speed and multi-tasking skill. This also has to do with the target group you choose for your game. Are you mainly targeting action MMO players in America? Or do you want a world-wide/international audience playing on an American server? Why have people chosen to play Ultimas and Ultima Online? Why do people play MMORPGs (the vast majority of which do not emphasize action/real time/fast reactions)?

I am part playing devil's advocate here to help you. This is your game, not mine. Partly I am giving feedback here on my years long experience playing multiple different games with different types of combat systems from "overseas". People living in the US don't usually play on overseas servers. But if you think there isn't anything to discuss, well, good luck!

Crikey and Lord Baldrith like this.
  16. Chris

Well, we're trying damn hard to make this YOUR game but that is the collective "YOUR". We have lots of things we'll be doing to try and hide lag. For R8 your computer did all the calculations on your fireball hitting them and telling them they took damage! It was passed through our servers of course but we were still trusting most of what the clients told us. If you had lag, it would actually be to your advantage in this case because where they are on your screen is what mattered and when they saw the fireball would be delayed. This means they would have less warning and less time to dodge not more! If they were a moving target when you launched it then it would hide any lag on either side really.

Based on the tech, lag definitely shouldn't have a negative impact on combat. I think I saw that guy that won the 32 person tournament was Espada who I believe is either in Spain or Chile. I'm thinking if lag were an issue, we wouldn't be seeing people in other countries win tournaments!
    Do let us know though on this stuff because as with combat design, we think we know how stuff is working but the most important thing is how it looks to you.

We're going to start doing more video talks soon. Maybe we can do one on where we cover some of the stuff that is going on that is hiding lag for players and hear player stories.

Lord Spaz, Bolck, Narf and 16 others like this.
  17. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I don't think R8, 9 or even 10 is going to be the time to worry about 'ping lag'. There are still too many important items to be developed and implemented first.

I can understand that this might be a little frustrating at times but with more than half the SotA world still missing and only half the background systems in place this may be a little lower on the 'to do' list than say things like crafting (is alchemy even developed yet), skills and skill balancing, promised backer content, story and plot lines, single player mode, instability issues (some people couldn't even log into R8), and the list goes on.

My guess is that this will be addressed closer to release when all of the background systems are being tweaked and performance enhancements are the major focus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mitch [MGT], Arianna, Gaelis and 3 others like this.
  18. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

Crickey that was a massive wall of text, well regardless I like the new combat system can't wait to use more of the skill trees and very interested to learn more about regents for spell casters.

Gaelis likes this.
  19. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

Interesting. My observation concerning those fireballs might have been inaccurate then. Maybe you are right and there can be some tech magic that somehow lets both players share the lag effect roughly evenly? Is that mathematically possible? Are you using some predictive algorithms for things like movement?

I would definitely be interested in learning more about this. I will also keep playing PvP and pay special attention to the LOS, dodging and positional stuff as you add (more of) those in. I hope those 10000+ deaths give you some good data to mine. My friends and I tried our best to contribute to that number :D Maybe you can add stuff like average pings and frame rates as data points to see how those correlate with win/defeat ratios and how that changes with specific changes/additions you make.

Crikey likes this.
  20. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

Haha nice one :)

rild and Kvow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.