Evil players?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mavro, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

Is there still room for evil players in SotA? Is there still going to be a need for a high dps assassin? And is there still going to be underhanded deeds to be had?

2. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

Oh and thievery as well?

Ahuaeynjgkxs and jondavis like this.
  3. Logain

Logain Avatar

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi guys :) Thievery aka stealing is not yet in the game. It is stated that it will not be in game until release 2, but you never know, you can always try to have it come in before that. ;) Stealth/backstab and other rogue like skills will be choices on the skill tree, just not stealing at the moment. It was stated to implement this feature more systems are needed to make it work, and it isn't doable yet. So we must find our patiences;)

5. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

Evil players or evil characters? ;)

Dean478 and Lord Beaumaris like this.
  6. Owain

Owain Avatar

What is the point of having a game based on the Virtues if there is no evil? What's Yin without Yang?

TemplarAssassin and jondavis like this.
  7. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

As long as evil has reprocussions that go along with living on the fringe

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

Being 'good' should have its own set of repercussions. Most people live in the middle. When you take a strong stand, one way or the other, you make yourself a target. Over the years, some people have really hated the KGB, and if the game permits it, we always play 'good guys'.

I think that maybe some folks in the forums here can't wait to try Open PvP just to have an opportunity to whack me.

I'm fine with that. Promoting Open PvP Full Loot, one player at a time.

9. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Better question, why is being a rogue character and being evil linked?

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  10. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Repercussions? hmm. I have no problem with rules. I've been told I think like an lawyer. I don't like breaking rules, I rather think they keep the world from falling apart. Repercussions... that seems like a reasonable thing for those who get caught committing a crime. Although, I should be caught breaking a rule, and if I do break it, there might be a perfectly good explanation, or a loophole.

If I lose virtue in the sight of an all seeing oracle, big deal. I just don't want others to see my "magical" virtue rating because they aren't all seeing. However if I murder somebody and are reported for the crime then I accept the fact that I would have a bad reputation around those parts.

11. Owain

Owain Avatar

Stealing lies along the evil continuum. Not as evil as murder, but still a crime. It even has its own commandment.

12. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Not sure what dps has to do with being evil, but there will most certainly be varying degrees of evil in game....even from those perceived as good.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It might have something to do with the stereotypical rogue being a thief and/or a cutthroat.

14. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Being good isn't making yourself a target, it's living within the structure of society and showing respect for your environment and those others living in your environment. I'm sure there are many other opinions and definitions but I'm really not looking to debate the differences in those definitions. As dubbing characters "evil" I would think those characters would not be looking to live within the structure of society and who's goals would not be to show respect to others around them. And of course there will be many opinions about evil but i'm not trying to debate those views either. I'm just saying that living against the norm of society (and i would assume new britannia has a base of virtues) with behaviors such as murder, theft and cannibalism should have consequences; Being wanted in towns, unable to trade/sell wares in "non evil towns", being at risk for being arrested or attacked by scouting new britannian guards, being jailed in towns. Open PvP will never work because there really aren't real penalities for murdering someone. Its the benefit of playing without remorse (for whatever your motivation is) and without care for society views as appropriate behavior without the negative aspects of that fringe lifestyle.

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

Being good has always made me a target, because people in general don't like being opposed, and evil people, played right, REALLY don't like it, so we in the KGB have been hunted every bit as hard as those we've hunted.

How cool is that?

16. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

I don't think DPS is something that we will will be able to really grasp in this game. I agree though that an assassin needs to get a jump on a guy and finish the person off. If they have a good sneak attack skill(s), I think it will be possible to assassinate a person.

We aren't talking about walking up to a person doing DPS if we are talking about a true assasination. Did JFK's assasination have some dude run up and pull him out of the car and stab him? Did Lincoln get killed by a guy who started a one on one dual with him. NOPE. It's got to be a suprise attack, and the more stealth it is the better.

I truly believe that stealth observation on the part of the assassin needs to play the biggest role. Any player should be able to kill a person if they start out with an upper hand. Imagine the advantage of attacking a person who may not even be ready for combat. No deck or cards poping up yet. You've remained hidden, and you watch the person. You might know where he lives or buys his food at. You find the best opportunity to attack this person when they are alone and unsuspecting. If they have a watchdog as a pet, you might even throw the dog a little bite of food laced with an herb to calm its nerves or daze it. Then you swiftly come out from cover and grab the guy by the throat with one arm and stab him in the kidney with your poisoned dagger... let's stop here...

After getting this person alone and you sneak attack the person for extra damage, and you have applied a damage over time poison... you now have a big advantage. This is how the assassin should win. Not by strictly dps. It is now up to you to finish the job off by keeping the guy from getting away alive. Fast weapons stricking and using poisons, and whatever else to finish him off as fast as possible. That means timing your auto attack and special combos, whatever it takes.

**So I like the assassin. I think they should have a damaging flank attack. However this character shouldn't be more powerful in 1 vs 1 duals or even in battle zones. A true assassin has targets, and they go after them. Such a person would wear light armor if any at all, and would be just as vulnerable as a mage in combat. So the assassin's power is in surprise.

DizzySol likes this.
  17. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

Murder with a "good" purpose isn't seen as evil. Though I guess it could call a necessary evil besides calling it "good".

slothy likes this.
  18. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

really? since when was murder a good thing? did I miss something? Seems to me that people who get killed have family members that cry their eyes out, and so on. Even in war a death is seen as a bad thing. The soldier's family and wife is heart broken.

Then again if the price is right some people really don't seem to care about all that stuff.

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

Rogue isn't the best description, then, even though it's commonly used. Evil depends on the choices you make and how you employ your skills, not on the label.

What is a better title?

DizzySol likes this.
  20. Owain

Owain Avatar

Poor choice of words. A soldier in combat doesn't commit murder, but he does kill. I think that is the point being made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.