Bro, do you even Role Play???

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Owain, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

You do know that "Roll Play" is the slang for not roleplaying, and just playing the RPG as if it was a strategy game, right?

MalakBrightpalm and Ned888 like this.
  2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

When i Play the game i will "Roll Play" a cleric, after i kill off a few toons to get it out of my system, basically PVP is optional so you don't have to risk it if you don't want to, on the other hand i will risk it because that's how i enjoy my game! If they give us full loot, ill take it, or choose that option!
    Others don't have too if they don't want too!
    I will be wearing my best armor and carrying my best weapons (because that is how i "roll play" my toon) if you feel you want to roll up on me and pk me i invite the challenge (because that's how i "roll play")
    I will be roaming the lands helping those i think need it, and ignoring those I particularly don't care for and hope don't even play PVP!
    I'm not here to entice the PVE to play PVP i could care less about them, its their option to opt out! Less people i have to worry about grieving my game play! So bottom line i would love to have full loot pvp! I will "roll play" my character the way i roll play, and let others play their way, and be happy in my world! :) So to all the PVP full loot nay sayers.....I say play the game the way you want and ill play the way i want!

Owain, Sweetmcpwnsauce and sn0tub like this.
  3. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

I like to roll play with my gang.
    We like to do drive-by on horse back.
    I have an automatic crossbow.
    yo, m8. wanna buy some nightshade? the best stuff you can find in the three kingdoms!

4. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Damn son, thats some whack Nightshade!

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That's a pretty big leap there. Some of us "are" interested in gear, just not in the very basic negative way you layed it out. We want interesting gear AS part of the game...I'm not talking WoW levels, or anything close...but I want to have stuff I care about. I'm not playing a FP shooter where everyone needs to use the same gun or whatnot. I'm playing a fantasy magical based rpg and I want to feel that and not a medieval simulator for combat.

6. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

why dont we have both? We had both in uo.

blaquerogue, Owain and mikeaw1101 like this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Actually, I don't think you did. You had a great medieval simultor(with magic) and not much of what was ultima....well not to me at least. Coming from the older games it didn't really feel like ultima at all, sure it had all the names and cities but it lost a lot of what made ultima feel special.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure you either purposefuly ignored the point of my post or missed it....

Silent Strider and Ned888 like this.
  8. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I'll admit I only read the first 2 and last 2 pages here, but I think before looting is addressed we need to know how death works. There is a resurrection spell in Life, but aside from that how do you rez? (Assuming you can) Do you rez on the same map? At some bind point somewhere else? With your gear? Or do you need to get back to it?

From just the taste of crafting a gear so far I have a feeling this isn't going to be a "phat lootz epic gear" style game. I get more of an EVE sense where you worry more about all that ore you're carrying getting jacked than your armour and weapons (assuming there is open looting).

9. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

it didnt feel like ultima? well, instead it felt like a real world where I'd gladly live and die.
    and ultima...uhm...i dont really care about the single player ultimas.

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

There is something else to note about "gear grind" some of the grind in games like WoW is you can't do top tier till you do 2nd tier, which you can't do till you do 3rd, etc. So that is the gear grind, working your way up to the point where you can do the top tier content. I would much rather be able to do anything, (just bring more people) fairly early on, but once I'm decked out, high level, some of the best items in the game (I hate Best In Slot gear, would rather have different potential items being good, depending on the rest of my gear and my skills) then I can do it solo, or with a smaller group, or simply do it faster/easier.

11. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Whats the ultimate point in playing in a world where you don't lose your stuff?
    In real life, people who eat without going out to spend calories end up being fat blobs.

Besides, just like irl you can't take your material posessions beyond the grave, in games you can't take pixels to real life.
    So why not go out and have some adventure in an open pvp setting instead? At least memories of good times are something you will be able to keep after you're done playing.

12. Shad

Shad Avatar

Gear grinds, as mentioned above, only happen when the gear will tip the scales heavily in your favour. If they merely enhance a little then PvP becomes far more about the fight and the teamplay. I've only just found this exists but if he can recapture a half of what UO was I fear my freetime is about to disappear... UO was not about gear, it was about so much more and when guilds warred we stacked the bodies high! Great memories and that was with 'full loot' :)

sn0tub and Owain like this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Or, if there's no balances in the game against using high-level gear. If you have an expensive fireball wand with 5 charges, you aren't going to want to waste your 5 charges on fighting some meaningless guy on road who just wants to duel.

This is why I'm worried about when the devs say they don't want people going around with their low-level gear, while they keep their high-level gear in the bank. Why not?

Yea, I agree that you should be technically be able to do everything in the beginning of the game and not be fenced off in tiers, and I also agree different weapons and armor should have different advantages -- ie plate armor should be good for defense, but bad for stealth, so you want to wear light armor for stealth. At the same time, in line with what I'm saying above, I also want the devs to be careful about making the cost of items meaningless. I don't think you should be able to afford (gold-wise) all gear in the beginning of the game, and there should be a worry about cost if you let your epic plate get destroyed all the time.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I was pretty confident you wouldn't. Unfortunately for you many of us do.

Silent Strider likes this.
  15. Markus_Sevron

Markus_Sevron Avatar

Grinds, I see some posts about grinds and grinding. I just want to say that, after a long day at work, sometimes mindless grinding can be very relaxing. If there is even a small chance of finding some phat loot, and an xp reward, I'm all for some of it. The ritual, the kill, opening the corpse and looking in side--I think it works on the same area of the brain as does gambling. Killing a mob is like pulling the lever on a one-armed bandit. So please leave a little grind.

Vermine and blaquerogue like this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Because they want you to need those rare resources to recharge that wand when you use up those 5 charges?

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Not sure what your meaning is there.

My only point is that if you have a rare and powerful item, there should be a reason you don't use it all the time... otherwise it imbalances the game. The rare resources, should, naturally, be hard to get, too.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The foci vs vessel debate between Chris and Dark you have to be settled for this situations to be addressed. (Foci being a devise used in casting and vessel being an item that holds charges)

If they do go the vessel route then the rareness of the resources used to power a wand would probably be on par with the spell that is replicates. I'd say this would be a situation outside of the norm and not really fitting of the statement that they wish us to wear our best gear.

Similar to them not trying to dictate that we only use our best spell in a fight.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, that's true -- if they want resources to be rare, and they want weapons to wear down with use, it contradicts their idea that they don't want us to use "junk gear" (low-level gear) for fear of losing good gear (high-level gear) to looting. These lead to different goals. I just want them to think about this when it comes to all aspects of the game.

What did you think of my proposal on weapon enchantment mechanics,? Did you see that thread?

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

In the case of charges of wands I would guess they are using that as a fall back to using spells. Or maybe an extra layer of strategy, depending on how they set all that up. Lots of forethought would be required for sure.

I did see your proposal but I did not read it. I have it flagged for reading later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.