Tell me about your gaming computer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retro, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retro

Retro Avatar

Awesome CPU cooler is AWESOME! WTF is it? Phanteks? can't be Noctua, not beige enough :p

Nice system BTW...I just purchased this:
    SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 TRI-X (UEFI)
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2294&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

VERY happy with the performance, and it even arrived clocked Higher then specified!!! supposed to be 1030/5300, but I got 1080/5640

[​IMG]

Basically I got the OC version of the card at no extra charge...this one
    OC Version:
    SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 TRI-X OC (UEFI)
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2283&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

2. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

I got most of the wiring done so far. I will need some parts out of my current computer, I will work on that once I send this message. Hopefully, the next time I am on here will be with the new system. The following links are of photos of the install so far:
    Photo 1
    Photo 2
    Photo 3
    Photo 4
    Photo 5

Royou Vengeance, Time Lord and Retro like this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

I've had 7 macbook pros over the last 10 years. 3 of those failed early and were replaced.

2 had the nvidia GPU failure problem. One had a logic board failure of some kind.

that's a pretty high failure rate, even if I did get taken care of by Apple or the company I worked for.

But even so, I'm not denying that when they're working properly they're pretty nice.

4. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I am actually having a total different motivation for the future in regards to my computer and my computer room.

I am seriously thinking of trying to get my computer and hobby room to look like this:

[​IMG]

Or this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i will defintaly not be able to build them myselfs. i know my skills. But will stady and slowly get my hobby room that way over the years. :)

crazy pricings from people who do it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171220994455

But one piece after another... what cooler can it be if your little boy visits the daddy room and has fun exploring it. :)

5. Royou

Royou Avatar

Where'd you get the SotA map on your wall????

6. smack

smack Avatar

The map can be found here. BUT, that's the old one, as Stephen recently released a new version here (requires Dev+ access). It's not known when he'll publicly release the new one to everyone.

Retro, Royou Vengeance and Time Lord like this.
  7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Wow, missed your post. Yep, it's a Phanteks. That's the one. Really happy with it. whisper quiet and keeps that CPU nice and cold. I've been able to shut off all of my case fans to make it even quieter. I'm sure I could really overclock that CPU if I crank all the fans up.

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hmm... that's just plain strange... o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

9. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I wouldn't mind having a display like that ;) I am surprised that the main unit can handle that much weight, though...

10. Undelivered

Undelivered Avatar

I just built mine with out a graphics card today. You might be like WHY NO GRAPHICS CARD?! well because with in the next few weeks Nvidia will be releasing their new graphics cards! I am sure AMD will follow!!

Time Lord, Lord Royou OoV and Retro like this.
  11. Retro

Retro Avatar

I haven't made an update in a while...

New Computer Progress Report:

New Editions:
    Speakers: Edifier S330/S330D

Ordered\In Transit...
    Display: LG's 34UM95 (I really wanted to wait for the new Dell curved version, but it won't be around until at least December and will probably cost 1599CAD, no thanks)
    Monitor Arm: Ergotron MX Desk Mount LCD Arm

Still needed:
    Keyboard: Corsair MX RGB Keyboard (The K70 RGB is out now, but I'm wondering if I should wait for the K95 RGB version...)
    Head tracking: Track IR 5 (now that it's officially supported by SC, I'm going to bite the bullet)
    Desk: Not sure, but I want a large height adjustable desk...

System Specs:
    CPU: Intel 4790K
    GPU: SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 TRI-X (UEFI)
    Case: Corsair Air 540
    Cooling: Corsair H110
    Mobo: GA-Z97X Gaming 5
    RAM: 32GB DDR3 (ADATA)
    Controller: Saitek X-55 HOTAS
    OS\SotA\SC Drive: Sweet Plextor M.2 256GB
    SSD: SANdisk 480 GB (This drive will be for lowly Steam & traditional publisher games and any other generic applications :))
    PSU: EVGA 1000W
    Mouse: Logitech G502
    Headset: Corsair 1500 wireless
    HOTAS: Saitek X55

So far I'm happy with the performance increase, I'm very curious to see how SC and SotA perform on this system when I'm playing them at 3440x1440:) (right now I'm playing games at 1920x1200)
    I'll post pictures as soon as I get the new monitor and monitor arm going...

12. Garth of Izar

Garth of Izar Avatar

Oh god, this is like a nightmare thread cause it reminds me i'll probably have to upgrade or build a new PC soon.

Thankfully I built one from scratch in Oct '11 to play Witcher 2 and Skyrim. (My original PC still had a single core CPU which just wasn't gonna fly no more)

ATI Raedon 7950,
    16GB ram,
    AMD Phenom II X6 3.31ghz cpu,
    1 SSD and 2 2TB 7500rpm HDDs for storage,
    27" monitor

[​IMG]

Still kicking! Should play SotA fine and hopefully last a few more years.

Time Lord, Lord Royou OoV and Retro like this.
  13. Retro

Retro Avatar

Progress Report:

New Editions:
    Display: LG's 34UM95 (first one I got was defective, returned it and also purchased, extended no hassle 3 year in store return warranty, I have never trusted LG;))
    Monitor Arm: Ergotron MX Desk Mount LCD Arm (thought this would be higher quality...I'd give it a 6.5/10)
    Desk: Picked up a 72x30 power height adjustable desk in 'graphite gray', I can fit two Star Citizen giant mouse pads along the edge of the desk with no overlap, love this desk! Being able to stand and work (or play) is amazing.

Still needed:
    Keyboard: Corsair MX RGB Keyboard, With such bad reviews for the software on the Corsair keyboards, I'm going with this one as soon as it's available: Logitech G910
    Head tracking: Track IR 5 (No rush...)
    GPU: 2nd GPU for Crossfire, frame rates have gotten a little slow since moving up to 3440x1440 gaming, can't find my same card anywhere, thinking about an MSI branded R9 290X card.
    Cable management: working on it...

System Specs:
    CPU: Intel 4790K
    GPU: SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 TRI-X (UEFI)
    Case: Corsair Air 540
    Cooling: Corsair H110
    Mobo: GA-Z97X Gaming 5
    RAM: 32GB DDR3 (ADATA)
    Controller: Saitek X-55 HOTAS
    OS\SotA\SC Drive: Sweet Plextor M.2 256GB (SC and SotA
    SSD: SANdisk 480 GB
    PSU: EVGA 1000W
    Mouse: Logitech G502
    Speakers: Edifier S330/S330D
    Headset: Corsair 1500 wireless
    HOTAS: Saitek X55

Have a few pictures...:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

smack, Time Lord and Lord Royou OoV like this.
  14. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

I've resisted the temptation to build myself a new system for years - party because I hate spending money to replace things that still work, and partly because I haven't been an active gamer (UO doesn't really count for graphics). I've been testing SOTA for months now on an old quad core AMD Phenom 9550 2.2Ghz machine with 6G of RAM running Windows7 64 and an 3rd party Nvidia 210 graphcis card. System performance was rated at 4.3
    For general use, it's a great system for me, but SoTA has suffered for slow performance, studdering frame rates, and ho-hum graphics. Soooo ...
    Bit the bullet, did some frantic research (I haven't paid attention to hardware since I retired a few years ago) and here' the new rig I just built. Put it together for under 2K (US). I'm running it absolutely stock for the first 30 days, but I plan on overclocking to about 4Ghz (it can to at least 4.9)

CPU: Intel i7-5820K Haswell-E 6 core 3.3Ghz
    MBO: Asus x99-Deluxe
    RAM: 16G G. Skill Ripjaw 4 series DDR4-2666
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 gaming 4G
    SSD: Samsung 840 500G (this is an awesome drive C: )
    DVD: Pioneer Blu Ray R/W
    Case: Rosewill Throne ATX full tower
    PSU: Rosewill Photon 1050W 80+ gold
    CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i
    Windows 7 Prof (64)
    System performance in now rated at 7.8 (does a happy dance)

Mouse and keyboard are up in the air at the moment - just getting used to seeing thing in gorgeous detail with no frames dropping and moving in the direction i think I'm going and stopping where I expect to.

Retro, smack, Lord Royou OoV and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.