Consensual pvp???? Stay a While and Listen Why this is no fun.....

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by gonzo9002, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What is wrong with not losing gear, exactly?

2. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

nothing its just about putting somthing valuable at stake for pvp. But I think losing rly rare gear is a gamebreaker

not sure u read my whole post thouRistra

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Gotcha, I am following what you said now.

That is the real trick though, getting people to risk something. More often than not, PvP is all about getting as much gear as possible that will not be lost (if that is available) When it's not possible then use cheap gear.

So you end up with people that have the least possible to lose looking for people that have everything to lose.

4. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

you dont have to use always op gear , there should be all day gear. op gear is something for a playerkiller who get hardly punished after being killed or for events and the better pvp players who dont die every day XD.

a grind for gear it is , but in a good way . people should always do dungeons that pvpers can come to hunt them down , aswell as a hotspot for blue players to hunt the pks down.
    when i farmed in ultima or mortal ore for metal for a day. i got several armor sets together after a month of break they were still good, i could log in and have some fun. in other mmos people already made the higher tier instances , what inbalanced the pvp and ruined it for people who not play all the day and have a real life...

how to the point after being killed you are out of pvp, yes i think it is important you should regear after death.
    if you kill someone and he come back after a minute and fight again :( makes the world feels very unrealistic. you woudnt be able to guard a spot well ,if you like to. and it would be too easy for guilds to regroup and kill opponents defending the place. die over and over again spawn at prist and try it again till more manpower arrive .....

yes he should be out of pvp then for minimum 10 minutes till he regear.
    now a question is it fun if the best player with the best gear go hunting noobs and slaugter them , then finally 10 noobs manage to kill him and he come back in a minute not loosing his op gear ??
    would it make sense to farm a dungeon or do it again after compleated once ??? if you find 1 vanq weapon and never loose it ??
    would it be fun to be a crafter or have a vendor ???
    would it make a pvper want a house ?? who want a house in a save zone where he cant even enter as red , or if he dont have to store mats for crafting in his hosue ??

sure there should be forms of pvp where you not loose the gear that new players can train a bit before going on an open pvp rome. in my opinion duels and arena should be places where you cant loose your gear.

but i would personally avoid the arena mostly, till i have the best gear ,and would only do fair duels. why ?? because there is no loot and people are not afraid to use there best op gear :( newer players might not have because they are rare.
    i played age of conan there was a group called human mandables, they stormed with 5 people into 15 and killed all, there were unbeatable because of there gear .... we managed to get one of them down after tons of arena matches, and he still remained op and joined the next arena match and ruined it for us again. i deinstalled the game after that.
    combat and pvp and everything was nice in age of conan the brutality and story but damn that no loot system made me quit the game. how much they losr 36 million dollars i think XD they coudnt keep the interest even if the game combat mechanics grafics and story was good.

i just cant enjoy pvp without loot, without the chance to make a big loot, mostly you wont you just get the gear a player have ,but sometimes you can find someone transporting something of value he farmed the whole day for or in mortal sometimes what he farmed a whole month for.
    why should i do pvp in a game which have a less enjoyable combat system then an exeptional arena game like chivalery ??? because i like to get rewarded with loot and like crafting and individual gear and testing out stuff instead of getting everything told. i also like pve and roleplaying but important for me is roleplaying-pvp and trading
    both get ruined for me with no loot. i cant roleplay like in ultima online (which shoudnt be the case for an ultimative selective roleplaying multiplayer game )

all we need is separated hexes with an ultima online ruleset loot and no fast travel. so that you cant skip instancees but directly load in the next one, when you are not using a moongate.

story parts should all be reachable with the moongate only and should be a different experiance from open world pvp dungeons and shouldn´t reward you with very valuable stuff, at least nothing that bring you benefit in pvp, maybe for character look to not get the feeling of forced pve, because it will give you a good weapon for pvp

5. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

but thats how it should be (risk vs reward) when you fight the noobs with super op gear and loose you should be punished XD
    and the all day gear should be maximum 20 percent better for a much higher prize (maybe 20 times) a guy in all day gear should be able to beat a guy in op gear with a skill based combat. sadly sota is not as skillbased with tab target and no action combat :( and stuns.

eheheh in mortal i always thought damn if lord british would have bought the game and would have polished and imporved it , it would have been perfect XD crafdting and combat was already such an impovement over ultima onlines 2d style. now i think lord british would ruin every mmo if he is involved.

tabularasa ;8damn why no ultima online 2)
    sota (hey why it share nothing with ultima online :( i mean ultima online was so popular) except the bagpack, which was only fun because of player looting, what made it skillbased to drag stuff faster then other players in your inventory

6. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

I kinda feel the same, looks to me like LB didnt like UO

Im still thinking they should have just redone UO with better graphics that would make a better game than any other MMO out there...

blaquerogue likes this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Hey, someone finally gets it.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That makes it sound like he regrets UO.

Artists have fond memories of their older work. They also have to laugh at that work when they see how much they have improved their skills over time.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Do you think this is a PVP game with some story elements? What on earth are you trying to say? Story elements should be shoe horned into areas that doesn't effect the rest of the world?

I'm once again totally against your ideas.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

He had high hopes for UO...except the humans playing it didn't play the way he thought they would....he expected them to have real world reactions and rp etc, not go all mad max.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yes rune_74, seems to be so. The story is something you do while you can't PvP because you don't have the gear. Out of the way and tucked into a corner.

No, the story is part of why we should PvP. A purpose instead of random hostility.

This was impossible in UO and it was too late to fix. (unless you consider what EA has now a fix)

Owens Casey and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I get that you want to recreate pre-Tram UO. But you need to face the facts. That model failed. Just as we would never expect SotA to use the pre-Tram UO graphics and engine we shouldn't expect them to use other models that failed.

But I can't help but point out some comical statements you put in your post.

Everything you have been saying is "go sit in some noob area and get better" shouldn't the same go for these poor noobs that can't beat someone in OP gear?

What if you can't get a group together to beat this "best player?" The noob is full looted and will never work up to the best gear. With no loot or limited loot, the noob can and will.

In a FPS there are plenty of cases where higher skilled players control an area. You know how they get beat? - Tactics. No looting required.
    Who cares? This is SotA, there is a item decay. Your items will become too costly to repair and you will have to stop using the item. But you probably haven't looked into the decay system at all so you might not know about that.

Step away from your UO prism and look at what SotA actually is going to offer. All these mechanics they have decided not to use where done for a reason. Just as not using 1997 graphics was never going to be used.

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Ristra;

Your dedication and endurance are truly impressive. I've been gone for months, and still you beat your head against the wall.

Duke NRaas likes this.
  14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

LOL /blush

What I should do is go through all the old videos and collect quotes with supporting links. Then I could post with cliffnotes.

Margard likes this.
  15. Owens Casey

Owens Casey Avatar

FUN FUN FUN ... should be 1st attribute of pvp!

I understand the risk vs reward of pvp, I played knights online for several years. Lose in that game was brutal. When you would die you would lose millions..yes millions of xp for death with no res. You could actually end up deleveling lol.

With that said there is another aspect of risk vs reward. To many people that don't like pvp will not even try pvp if the RISK is to high. I have seen this over and over
    in years of pvp games. Even entire guilds moving to better server to insure there in a winning situation and not going to risk there reputations yet actual loot.

Many people would shy away from pvp all together or only pvp when the odds are in there favor which would reduce the pvp overall minutes of actual fun combat.
    As well as reduce the number of people that would try pvp. I have seen this in to many games to count, including even games with very little risk.

People afraid to have the pixels die, or pixel cowards, or maybe just toooo timid to pvp or worried ahh i just pve i am afraid to pvp.

Ive seen it all pretty much... main thing is it has to be fun, fun is the key to encourage the average non pvp er to pvp, fun and secondly reward.

Keep in mind I also originally played eq as a cloth wearer and mobs came in chains of 3 and 5 at once not one at a time. Beat down city lol.

Penalty, on a personal level is not usually something people like to risk. I do agree some kind of penalty is essential. But it should not be any penalty keeping a player from getting back up and into the fight again without to much worry or hesitation! :)

blaquerogue likes this.
  16. Owens Casey

Owens Casey Avatar

Alot of us would like to experience life as a 12 year old again... LOL . Time to give up on that, 28 years ago? Well I hope after all you been though in life your ideas of things change. If I went back and played my old games I had from when I was 12 I think I would feel different about them. For one I don't have the same imagination as I did 40 plus years ago.

Playing air hockey alone for hours on end well, that would bore the crap out of me now. Or playing imaginative football games with candy chocolate wrappers rounded into balls which substituted as players on my dining room table. See were I a m going with this? when I see old friends from that age we say ohhh that was so amazing or great back then. When really to be honest it really was not that great, it just seemed amazing because life had not opened up to bigger and better more real life experiences.

Embellishment is nice. Just not always so accurate. :)

Aron Swordmaster and Xandra7 like this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

In terms of MMO's we always seek out to recreate that first love. Obviously UO is that first MMO love for so many people here.

As you have said here in this post. If someone went and rolled back EA's UO to what it was when UO first launched those fond memories would not hold.

18. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

I'm a hardcore UO pvper, but I would like to see as much population as possible, and sadly making it not so "hardcore" attracts A LOT of players.. there should be an area for people who want to pvp, and an area for people that hate pvp "which is a ton of people sadly" with an option of duels which is how it is set up now.. There should not be looting, as this only shys people away from pvping..

However I do suggest that it takes gold from your player if you are killed, and if you do not have sufficient gold, then the killer will be able to choose an item from your pack "or a random item", this would be a perfect solution to risk/reward and not scare players away from pvp.

19. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I would like to clarify one thing - it maybe hard to understand, but not every player who avoids PvP is too shy or fearful for this gaming option. I for one have just no interest because PvP bores me. No offense, I know that PvP is an important feature for many people and I'm happy with that as long as nobody is able to force me into PvP. I like adventuring and following a story - you like PvP. Just different tastes but not a matter of fear vs. strength.

20. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

sir cabrius did you tried full loot games in pvp once??

maybe pvp bores you when you not get rewarded, just saying getting loot from someone who might farmed hours for it made me always really happy. like a child on christmas sometimes when i catched a big fish
    when i died i made a coffee and resurect XD instead of rage quitting

for exemple in archage, what i played only some days , the non loot thing made pvp so uninteresting for me. why do it when he resurect and come back in a minute .... pvp is meaningless in such games.

blaquerogue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.