Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Clunky and dated

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Quode, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quode

Quode Avatar

The system has a clunky and very dated look to it, sadly that does not add to the appeal. Having to text NPCs also is something I hope is temporary, this is not the days of the older games. Id rather see a modern menu with choices and even ethical ones like in other games plus Key words like name, job etc. added to it.

If I find and item for inventory why not just click to store, having to open the back pack and put it in is not a real exciting extra step and can be tedious as well. I played the original Ultima but that's a bit ago, game interfaces have evolved allowing for smoother and less tedious interactions.

Regards
    Ken Moscardini
    1961-

Joviex and smack like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

This game is intentionally meant to be a throwback. Talking to NPCs is intentional. For the most part you can just double click on them and then double-click on keywords, but occasionally you'll need to manually type in a secret topic where you don't see a keyword. I like the story aspect of RPGs so I enjoy it.

One click to sell an item (perhaps with a right-click) does seem like a good UI suggestion. I'd post that here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/release-12-feedback-forum.238/

Welcome to the community!

Ty of Britain, Leos, Vermine and 2 others like this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

If you're using bag inventory mode, drag and drop is the design for moving individual objects (or stacks). It's hoped that they will include a Take All button at some point for bag mode.

If you're using list inventory mode, you can still drag and drop (with multiple shift-selection), but I thought you could also double click the item to move it from the Loot window to your Inventory? Because that's how it works for buying/selling items -- just double click. If it doesn't work that way for looting while in list inventory mode, you should suggest for that enhancement specifically in the R12 Feedback Forum.

4. PeteWi The Disoriented

PeteWi The Disoriented Avatar

The conversation system was actually requested. I personally think it's great rather than clicking on a character and getting a predetermined list. The intent is that you will introduce yourself to the NPC and start a conversation. From there you can learn about them, the town and what they may need. Many things are underlined, but sometimes you have to type in the right keyword or ask for the right item.

I use the Inventory List because it's much easier to work with and move items around. The bag was too frustrating since I couldn't see what was at the bottom of the bag and spent far too much time fishing out a hammer. :) The List works really well for moving things around and working with the crafting tables.

enderandrew likes this.
  5. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

I like the way talking with npcs works here. This way you actually have to keep track of things yourself like in the old days. Not just click every option there is.

For example if someone tells you to find Joe in some town and ask him about donuts then you actually have to remember that yourself when you find Joe.

When the game just lists the options then it takes that part away. I see it as one of those dumbing down type of things that takes away from the game.

6. Chulain1973

Chulain1973 Avatar

I really like having to talk to NPCs, it makes it feel like you are interacting with another character in the game. The ' modern menu ' that you refer to is something that was not added to those games by choice, it was added threw necessity so that modern rpgs could be played on consoles that don't have keyboards. If I play a game that just requires me to click to gather quests, more often than not I don't read a single word of dialogue.

Sebastion and Tahru like this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I fear that many - and I mean MANY - gamers won't get the conversation system of SotA. They are used to other systems that may be more comfortable.
    And partly I can understand them. I wouldn't want to miss my electric lawnmower and mow manually... You get used to some things very quickly and it is very hard to let go of this "laziness" and try more complex things.
    So many of us oldtimers and those of us who are really invested in the game might think that such elements like the conversation system are cool and pulls you more into the game. But many other gamers who are used to more comfortable systems will be put off for sure.

docdoom77, Sir_Hemlock and Joviex like this.
  8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

This game is like going camping. Some prefer RV's & staying close to the main road while others backpack into the mountains. *hint* There are backpacks in this game.

Destroying Angel and Jordizzle like this.
  9. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

This is not the days of the older games, this is the day of the people who made the successful older games setting out to do the same thing again. It's like you're asking Michael Jordan to change the way he shoots free throws because there are young kids who are doing it differently now lol.

10. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

at the very least gimme an in game way to record, manually, my notes. I play on three machines, not all in the same location. I am certainly not going to carry around a notebook, but at least leverage the modern computer for something.

We can roll back time, sure, but we don't have to be UN-innovative in doing so.

docdoom77, majoria70 and Resurrected like this.
  11. Borg

Borg Avatar

I wouldn't say that selecting from a menu list is modern, it's just a way, in my opinion the easy way.
    Speaking (typing) to NPCs is more flexible and more challenging.
    Long time ago when I started playing UO, I was a total noob, so I asked an NPC where the bank was, and you know what?, HE ANSWERED ME.......(Awesome)
    Can you tell me how many "modern" games do that actually?Maybe in the modern games you can choose where the bank is selecting from a menu list..................

Sebastion and Tahru like this.
  12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

and others like to take a helicopter to the camp site, use an auto tent, and fly to lunch the next day.

does that mean I didn't camp in the woods too?

people have different levels of comfortable. you don't have to make it all ancient to leverage a lot more coverage on people's desirable experience.

13. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

When I was in school as a kid I couldn't pay attention in class enough to pass my keyboarding class. I started playing UO and that is how I learned how to type on a keyboard. I now run a Telecom Firm in LA from my home in NC. It's for this reason that I like the way this game is going to have the user have to type to communicate with the NPCs. We use technology to dumb ourselves down enough these days already. Here's to a game that will enhance our skills as well as our minds.

Sebastion likes this.
  14. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

There are books in-game that you can keep on your character for you to write your notes in if I'm not mistaken.

Joviex likes this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am in the camp of people that like talking to the NPC's. However, I hope the NPC bot gets more interesting. Right now it is similar to talking to your phone, except the NPC won't search for you.

16. paxprobellum

paxprobellum Avatar

I've spent too much time playing clunky and dated games that it feels normal to me. Also, keep NPC conversations!

Jordizzle likes this.
  17. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I agree; being able to add our own notes to the Journal (and annotations to maps, etc) would be a HUGE addition, and help players keep track of things.

Joviex likes this.
  18. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

That's for the game masters that have power to jump back & forth. No, That isn't camping. Camping isn't going back to ancient, it is removing comfort so you slow down & appreciate where you are as much as where you could be, so you linger.

I'm not saying I like camping, I'm saying what it is.....

19. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

And how is the journey TO the camping site involved. Also, what does it matter the belongings you take along if the *perception of whomever's* results are the same.

You see camping as something to reflect on how far we have come; appreciating what we have accomplished.

I see camping as bringing together people to share an experience of the world, without the need to suffer the banal activities of say taking a bathroom break.

How is anyone, rightly, to judge, the experience(s) gained?

20. YuriGaDaisukiDa

YuriGaDaisukiDa Avatar

you can always swich modes to dump stuff.

in list mode for example, you can shift highlight items and drag all of them, then swich back to bag mode

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.