Banning/Permissions Control List for Owners/Co-Owners

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Tahru, Jan 16, 2015.

?

Should Player Town Owners be able to Ban?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2015.
  1. I want owners to be able to ban, but not during guild wars, or in open pvp towns.

10.7%
  2. I want to be able to ban, but just for events, then they dont have to be banned anymore.

3.6%
  3. Banning is against the exploration of the game, and I may want to go to places where im not welcome.

10.7%
  4. No

39.3%
  5. Yes

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

Well except of the competition of surrounding towns. I mean if prices on leather are high in Valemark, it is few second walk on the map to Holtrot...

2. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Of course there would be random bannings if you have random people in your town. Some people would do it for entertainment. You never know what a person is really like until you live with them.

My suggestion (once again):

I suggest instead of allowing just any plot owner to ban for the entire town, only the town owner himself can instantly ban (and only for a short period of time).

And to make this ban permanent - the town owner must petition the GMs with a good case for making the ban on that player.

3. Net

Net Avatar

Town owner and people with 'trustee' permission for town.

Inhabitants should be able to ban people only from their lots.

4. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Thanks for the clarification. I made a suggestion above your post on how these could be handled, just in case someone does run amuck.

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

"Most players will not have thick skin and will stop playing when it stops being fun. " Exactly the reason to get rid of the unwanted by ban method. These people ruin events that take months to plan and organize. Do you think that the fun of one player is greater than the fun of 50 players? The business scheme you speak of might work for a very short time, as people would get wise to it and boycott his vendors. People do chat and are aware of other people who try to scam others.

Time Lord, Sold and gone and Net like this.
  6. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Then explain this please.

"If I got banned randomly then other people would also get banned randomly, I never do anything that would make me a target for a ban, so my ban is just as likely to happen to some other random guy."

You can not be serious.

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I never once said that any plot owner could ban people :)

Time Lord and Sold and gone like this.
  8. Net

Net Avatar

I saw. I still think that town owner should have option to decide whether they ban people fot 15 minutes or whole day or for forever. They should also have option to decide who else can ban people.

I do not think that PoTs will be so important hexes that GMs should be bothered by investigating bans, I think that people should be free to ban anyone from their property forever.

I am aware this could cause issues if multile PoT owners were "sportbanning" but I doubt that is likely scenario. I know that few towns would be happy to have whitelist feature, as they do not plan to trade or interact with travellers, they just want some safe spot on the map and I think that if they paid for their town, they should be able to run it as they want.

Only possible issue worth investigating would be advertising the town elsewhere and then banning people there, bit of griefing...

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This goes back to page one, so I will rephrase it. Nowhere is it stated that the POT owner is god nor has the responsibility to kill every troll.

10. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

It does ease my mind greatly in the idea that only town owners could do the bans.

However if they delegate responsibility to others, it could then become an issue once again - seen many guilds where the leader was unaware his second in command was actually a bit of a ****.

Ravicus (Sawtooth Hollow and Net like this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If this is true then I would like a refund.

Players > POTS

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

:) No one is god, and no one wants to be. Trolls anre delt with. How do they do it here in the forums? Why not in game. People if givin the opportunity to abuse a system will. Its pretty simple. I dont understand why you are so adamant about restraining a few people. I can agree that the bans could be short and temporary, but if they are repeatedly banned they can lead to longer bans. But it is necessary. Not perfect and no one in a perfect world would want to see this happen, but we do not live in a perfect world.

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Ban power = GOD Power

The forum deals with trolls in these ways
    1. Clever handling by forum members
    2. The MODS deal with them, which is the same as a GM in the game.

POT owners are not GM's.

lollie likes this.
  14. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Seriously giving random person the ability to ban is obsurd.

Can you guys move on past that point? This is only meant for town owners and or mayors of towns.

Since we are still throwing rocks and no one wants to sit down and discuss, I got a little frustrated.

I apologize. Farewell.

Ravicus (Sawtooth Hollow and Net like this.
  15. Net

Net Avatar

Lollie is worried about people having fun by banning people from towns. I saw this in some chat rooms and forums, you have moderator who is bored and wants to have some fun, on most sites they will not last long... They will ban anyone just for fun. If this becomes common practice among PoT leaders, most people who will experience this will avoid PoTs altogether.

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

She thought we meant any resident could ban from the town i believe.

17. Net

Net Avatar

It could, but on the other hand if the Owner is unavailable, people causing troubles cannot be banned:/ Perhaps only PoT Owner could make bans permanent.

18. Curt

Curt Avatar

When someone is phasing into a town place them at one of 3 entrances depending on ...
    The Friendly Gate: Where people that lives in the town could appear, friendly meeting and a open gate.
    The Testing Gate: Not as friendly but possible to pass if you make the cut, could have a NET designed maze in the way or so.
    The Unfriendly Gate: For them that has caused problem in the town before (like killed a citizen, assaulted a guard)

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

The player town owner must assume the power of a gm in this case as the gm's do not constantly monitor the town events. It would be ridiculous to ask them to watch and be ready instantly to review a ban request. The player owners own the town, they paid and helped design the town, they can decide who lives and does not live there, they create the atmosphere they want there, and should be able to protect it and its citizens there. Pretty simple really. :)

20. Net

Net Avatar

Players are also getting 99+% of hexes where they can do whatever they want :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.