Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

crafting - please make it more interactive

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by ThurisazSheol, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree it shouldn't be about making a zillion of something. How meaningful is that. yuk, been there done that. There could be many fun components to becoming a better crafter. So for example to be a metal worker you must learn metals and
    all things associated with using metal. Quests could be necessary to be a master of metals, someone full of knowledge in the use of metal, like for example a softer metal verses a stronger metal, a brittle metal, the temperature of the fire to use
    on different metals etc. So much fun to be had.;)

2. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Since you didn't read or didn't understand anything what I wrote I won't comment comment that. But this I really want to comment:

Again I have to comment! Firstly I said:
    Notice how it's my opinion and everyone are entitled to an opinion, or?

And as I wrote before:
    So yes for me and more or less everyone in my guild think that skill of the player many times interrupts the role playing of the character.

3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

don't you worry morkul. i understood your intent behind the words, as well as the words you strung together. we just use different logic sets though, that's all.

4. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Problem is that unless there hundreds if different mini games you will be doing same minigame zillion of times. Not so fun to be unranked swordsmith at a guild and get the order of making 100 hilt as a qualifying test to become an apprentice swordsmith. Or if you see that the market value on item X are high right now and you want to make as many you can to take advantage of of the prizing, again playing the minim game many many times in just a few hours.

All it will end up in is that all the one skipping the mini game or make a script to make 100% sure of success will get an huge advantage because they can get their products on the market faster and make more money. That will in the end mean that more and more just skip the mini game and it would have been a waste of dev time. And to be honest if they are going to release episode 1 this year they need to spend that dev time on things that excel the game for everyone not only crafters.

5. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Well since you claimed my opinion to be wrong I guess you do not think everyone are entitled of their opinion, good to know.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I hear you Morkul. Good point, well do think the quests for crafting will happen, just not sure of the extent so who knows it could be in the background already since we don't know the secrets and won't know them tell release. Richard is a very role play sort of guy.
    Also I played Vanguard crafting and that was so not easy or fast but it gave huge meaning to crafting and a sense of acheivement. Crafting is not an extra it is included and suppose to be immersive and in depth. I only talk about ideas I have, beleive me I do not know
    all the ins and outs of things. The mini games you mention cannot be skipped it is the crafting visual not really a game, that is a poor word for it. So for example you add this to get that or add that to get this or a fire starts and have to add water well if you have it if not
    the burn may cause you to fail or the product to be inferior, there is no out. lol

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Well as a future swordsmith to a guild with over 300 members I know there will be a lot more than 300 of every swords part within the first week after release. Okay not all will fall on me but still one or more parts probably will. So yes I think it will happen to the extent of 100 or more I spoke of. It would be a disaster if you can't skip the mini games somehow, I know a lot of player that would like to be crafters but simply don't like that kind of concept. The example of how Elderscrolls worked I mentioned before would be a much better approach if you must have a something that you can't escape. With a mini game as proposed you will also have the problem with all that do not want to play minigames will simply script their way to 100% success any way, I'm one of them due to roleplaying issues.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi Morkul. I looked up Elderscrolls crafting since I have never done it so I would have an idea of where you were coming from. Vanguard wasn't like that. This is a very basic from vanguard when they were in beta. Not too complicated but depending on what you put on your
    table you could use with a certain amount of points, having more points to use as you get better at crafting and master it. Anyway I don't say what is right. Your character could get injured and he would cry out, it was just funny to me. Oh well I am just talking about fun
    which of course is different to each person, so no worries.;)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  9. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

After looking at the video I do not think that is the kind of mini games others here talk about, I can be wrong. Every move there was skill bases to 100% and did not depend in anyway on how I as player actually do. I can see similar in SotA but then they need to cut the number of craftable items by at least half. I mean click on a sword recepie put metal and coal on the forge follow the path and after some successes and fails, even come critical ones, you get the sword. Not first make a blade than a hilt then assemble the sword. But honestly I do not think devs would cut down the number of items, at it looks right now they will increase it.

But I must say that kind of crafting might be boring in the long run, I do not know... Anyhow the big problem I and many other role players have with "mini games" is player input that changes the outcome how successful a skill use are, that should be up to the character skill not the player.

10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

you've put words in someones mouth again, you seem to have a history of that. might want to reflect upon your words before clicking the post button.

i disagreed with your opinion, and i've backed up my statements. i NEVER said anyone is not entitled to an opinion. if anything i've encouraged the conversation to continue in all directions, even those i do not agree with.

-------

back to the subject at hand. i think i see your biggest hiccup with this. you want to churn out as many widgets as you possibly can for your guild. it isn't about the journey for you, it is about using a tool to provide yet another tool for others, and only thinking of them as tools.

thats where our opinions stray from each other, it seems. for me i want to provide a service to others who are living in the game just like i am. every cog has its wheel. my service is the journey of the craft i ply. that requires a lot of depth you, by your words, are unwilling to go through to do wholesale crafting for the people you want to hand X amount of widgets to. i can not, will never, subscribe to your way of thinking because i'm looking for the journey from start to finish, when you only see it as a means to an end.

while you are churning out copper hilts by the gross, i'll be making furniture and brewing for my guildies. getting them set up to live a life in the world Port has created. i'm in this for the long haul, are you? i already have a five year plan not only for myself, but for my guild, here. - and as i said, every cog has its wheel. thats how your guild is going to do its thing, to try and dominate as quickly as possible, in whatever it is you do. hence the assembly line mentality to crafting.

oh, for the record, i played eso for about a year and a half, maybe mroe as i was in one of the very first betas they had.. i HATED the crafting after they came up with the new system. it was/is HORRIBLY EASY to master and had zero depth to it.... 1.5 months, and you had all 8 traits for all item types you could make, another 1.6 months and you had researched everything you needed to research, and are by then a master at EVERY SINGLE craft. - thats not cool, to do things that easily and simply.

if interested here is a brief post by a guildie of mine on that particular system we came up wtih. - this system by ZOS is something to be avoided by Port at all costs, unless if they want to just lose an entire demographic of players.

11. Lordy2

Lordy2 Avatar

Crafting needs more interactivity, for sure.

Lordy aka "Lord Marshall Vulcano" Royal Founder

12. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Putting words in your mouth? This is exactly what I said and you replied:
    I really feel it breaks the PRG for ME and you claim I'm wrong... Well.. you have PM about this to so lets not take it here anymore.

No no and again NO! Just read what I said about Vanguard or Elderscrolls crafting systems! What I truly dislike and what's breaks the roleplaying for me is when playerinput determines how good the character actions will be. I decide what the character do but how good he preforms should be 100% skill. Look at the video that Majoria70 posted a few posts up and you will see a system where you as player still get the journey but it's 100% skill bases.

The challenge here is to find a system that you after 7-10 years still want to craft without making too many changes in the system on the way (remember that is at least 6 years to episode 5 are done) . I do not think that minigames as you proposed are the right way to go for the reason of roleplaying and that you will be bored pretty quick. We need a more dynamic system, a system that even might develop into something where you actually design items yourself. Systems like Vangard can go there and Elderscrolls are there already.

13. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

It could even be something like needing to click on the hammer a certain number of times to simulate the actual hammering of the ingots and such. No "skill shots", just something that makes it "non-instant" to craft the item and simulates the feeling behind the craft.

So a "mini-game" but one that has no bearing on level of success. Just something for flavour.

Does that make it take longer to crank out 300 swords? Sure. But how often are you going to be producing that many? Just once for the beginning of the guild?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.