Combat scripted ai will not work

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Combat and scripted ai encounters puzzle me, with the glyph system how in the world do you complete dungeons and/or scripted encounters when everything is random and static things are required to do a scene script?
    Seems like it's an epic fail waiting to happen. All I can see them doing is reworking combat or removing all scripted story combat elements

How

Does

This

Work?

2. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

First off special encounters might be doing things that players might not be able to do. Then why must whole combat be scripted if so why don't they use locked runes?

3. Countcristodemonte

Countcristodemonte Avatar

So they should just go the route circa 1995 Rpg development where the only unique thing is their overpowered abilities?

That's a huge step back since one of the biggest innovations in modern mmos is that there are challenging ai encounters for groups to overcome instead of just a dos check. I hope this isn't their plan else it will be more like UO but I'm the completely wrong way than anyone wants

4. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

How said anything about overpowered abilities? Why should a human have the same abilities as a Wolf and a Dragon? Of Course will mosters be able to do things PC can't do or else we would get a pretty strange world.

Tahru and Logain like this.
  5. Countcristodemonte

I never said they should have the same abilities as a wolf or dragon. What I am saying is that just making them more powerful instead of challenging AI is a step backwards and is how they originally made encounters when before they could do complex encounters

Destroying Angel and Tahru like this.
  6. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Well a dragon should be more powerful than any PC to begin with but I see no reason why it can't be added with a good AI to.

Countcristodemonte and Tahru like this.
  7. Countcristodemonte

They can't add good ai or scripts cause of the randomness of decks. Normally devs rely on a set number of abilities u and ur group will have at its disposal now that it's mostly random they can't design an encounter around static known abilities because the Dps both incoming and outgoing will have such a random variet of peaks and dips that it would be a nightmare balance/consistency wise. Does that make sense? It's kindof hard to explain the direct mechanics

Tahru likes this.
  8. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

As I asked before, why not use locked runes? But even with full random deck it's do problem to make a good AI, the randomness might even help the AI. A good AI should not be something that do the same thing over and over again and with a random deck the IA would be more unpredictable. Then add the number of different actions you can have in a deck and you can get pretty different encounters from same type of creature/NPC.

I professionally design different AI for more than 10 years and I see no reason whatsoever why the randomness in the combat deck should be any problem.

9. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

No character should be able to kill a dragon single handedly. I almost want to say ever......almost.

10. Countcristodemonte

Cant design based on locked runes unless everyone uses them.

11. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Firstly of course you can, some PC will use it, some not so of course NPC/creatures can.

But still as I said I see no problems whatsoever with making AI with dynamic deck.

Tahru and Themo Lock like this.
  12. Countcristodemonte

Sigh then you'll never get it. It's simple math

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Um why does it matter what order your skills come up for designing an encounter?

It will never be entirely balanced to a player...they will most likely balance it to the characters level, which allows them to have a general idea of the skills they will have...

This idea because they don't come up entirely in order it will cause inability for scripted encounters is bizarre to be honest(although I think you mean set encounters, scripted is entirely different, meaning they do the same thing no matter what, which is rarely seen in ANY rpg's) They can, and most likely will have encounters that will be set.

Destroying Angel and Tahru like this.
  14. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Seriously, as I said before: I have design AIs for over 10 years and I see no problem whatsoever that this deck system can cause. I also have one math degree and a master degree in scientific computing, totally over 30 years experience in software development and still I can't see any how random deck would make it harder to create a proper AI.

So please explain what's the hard part and I will try to explain how it can be solved.

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh yeah? I have a degree in magical theory and how to kill and adventurer 101....that trumps any math skill.

Sir_Hemlock and Tahru like this.
  16. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Did I make an overkill? :D

I just get so frustrated when someone says "No it can't be done" without explaining why, specially in a field where I have knowledge and I know there there is no problem.

Tahru likes this.
  17. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Its nice to have experts help moderate some of these forum posts. Computer programming is one of the few crafts that is limited only by the imagination (and processing speed). People that lay bricks all day might not always understand this.

I am disappointed by folks with no background in a subject who flatly state that x or y is just impossible.

Themo Lock and Morkul like this.
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Good point, but it is a double edged sword. If everyone runs around spouting their credentials, we would have a most unpleasant ego fest. It would be desirable if each person explains their point and if credentials are required, use a 3rd party resource link instead. Besides, it does not take an expert to have a great idea.

Destroying Angel likes this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Heh, it was nothing you said I was just having a bit of fun:)

Tahru likes this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Any good combat AI would plan around unexpected situations: that's how tactics work, adapting to deal with the situations that come up. Whether that means the terrain the combat is taking place in, the capabilities of the enemy, the number of enemies, or whatever else. A random deck is just another example of an unexpected situation.

Themo Lock, Morkul and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.