Has the vision for SotA changed since the Kickstarter campaign?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

It's Pre-Alpha, way too early to make complaints about what is, or is not, in the game at this point.

If the MMO aspect is getting more attention at the moment, I would assume it's because that's what the VAST majority of pledgers are here for. It doesn't mean singleplayer has been forgotten, it just means have some patience. Maybe take a break and come back when the game is more developed and the things you're looking for have been added.

Jatvardur likes this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But what if it is too late then? What if the devs then think "Hey, no one is asking about single player anymore. It seems there is no interest in this anymore so we can leave it out"?

Also I know that many elements and features are not in the game yet. But I would like to hear what the plans are for those single player systems. I want to know what we can expect.

3. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

ahh, the days of dial up.

Archaeopteryx likes this.
  4. Archaeopteryx

Archaeopteryx Avatar

Lord_D, I fully understrand your worries. FOR YOU SP IS IMPORTANT, this is what they promised in the KS, and that´s what you pledged for. So this IS what you should get.
    I fully appreciate the way you react on people critizing / harassing your posts - you always stay on topic and never start ranting ( or ranting back if being ranted - we had a sort of discussion in another thread). Please understand that as a: "like" your way of communicating your points of view!

I can´t say wether they are neglecting the SP aspect - I joined just two weeks ago ( pledging heavily :D ) - but if they do stand your ground!

Reason for this post:
    @rune_74 : since I started following the forums here ( and I read it quite thoroughly) I wonder why you always accuse people answering Lord_D´s posts of being rude / harsh / insolent. Please leave people having different views then Lord_D alone. Yu are NOT his advocate. You are NOT his bigger brother. I have the feeling Lord_D can express himself well. Or... are you his "bad cop" alt?

steanne likes this.
  5. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I don't know if it is true that the vast majority pledged for multiplayer. Unless SOTA did a survey I wasn't aware of, it's difficult to say.

I'd say the majority of the forum as of right now is here for multiplayer but that's to be expected. They tend to be more social and they are the ones more likely to create a community.

6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

There are a ton of solo play folks just waiting for the game, and not visiting the forums.
    I can count 25 on my facebook.

But of course, I don't know what the real numbers are.

However, I've asked privately about the solo game because that's what I'm here for, and I'm convinced it's being worked on.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hmmm what? Nice little rant. I just agree with him, and knew these would be coming.

I'm sorry you feel that way really, but that isn't really my problem as I don't control how you feel.

8. Darian

Darian Guest

I am all for Single player and mmo, what worries me is that focus on pvp

(like more and more special materials for crafting in pvp zones, that is this "nudge nudge go pvp)

While i have nothign in general against pvp itself it does tend to attract the trolls.

We all know that the internets turns perfectly normal people into raving lunatics (yeah not wholly but i think you get my point)

And well, mmos who are pvp friendly end in drama lama.

That why i would prefer single player, accept mmo but worry about the pvp idea.

I have to deal with enough unpleasant people in RL, I do not need an bunch of LULZ trolls in my game.

Xandra7, Sir Cabirus and rune_74 like this.
  9. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Just enter PVP zones in Single Player Online?

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Because it's worked for him before working up a fervor over the overland map, eventually leading to the replacement of the Paper map, with the (IMHO) lesser substitute we have now.
    If something works, people tend to stick with it until it no longer works.

11. Darian

Darian Guest

I really have doubts there will be pvp zones in single player.
    The whole point is to nudge people into PvP after all

12. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Last release, I entered PVP-only areas in Single Player Online. I haven't tested it this release so it's possible they closed them off but I don't think that's the case. It would really violate their "PVP will always be consensual" design policy.

13. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I didn't read anything in the OP that couldn't still be coming down the pipeline. The minutiae of debating if single player online will be designed well is tiring.

ALL THE SYSTEMS AREN'T EVEN IN THE GAME YET!

Sorry for the caps. Long day...

Jatvardur likes this.
  14. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

You can't be serious? That paper map looked ABSOLUTELY AWFUL...

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'm quite serious. Many of the developers also prefer the original map.
    However, that's not the point.

16. Darian

Darian Guest

I think i can mention Elite dangerous for it is an wholly other thing here..
    There they had this promise too, now it is an drama fest with pvp players running amok
    So i do stay a little bit pessimistic

17. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I'm not sure, I think a lot more has become apparent than changing. As players we were not really able to accurately judge the prototypes we have seen at some of the lack-luster world design... Maybe I'm just completely sick of this little island Vale.

I actually thought they would cave to the suggestions to go 100% open world like UO, and also make almost everything else much more similar to UO... I kind of thought that because the team very enthusiastic and professional that the result would be better than what we've seen. I was honestly expecting a lot higher standards - but not quantity... What we got was pretty unspectacular content and not much of it either (at least what's been shown).

I think what's really changed is the vision to do something really different. Slowly we've seen SO many design decisions go with the easy or popular choice as far as combat, abilities, instancing, non-quilted worlds... That that seemed like such a huge task to make the whole world connected like the UO style, that if one started out in a particular direction they've find themselves wandering across the continent. Coming from the UO team saying that would be next to impossible.. That was very very surprising and hard to hear for me.

I think it's been really hard for the team because they really were beginning the design from skratch.. and that to make more big changes would just deviate too much from what seems like a linear design methodology of Lord British and team.

18. Darian

Darian Guest

I think open worlds are very limited in content one can put down (as player)
    And take rather massive servers to run..

Sebastion likes this.
  19. Drowan

Drowan Avatar

I am an original Kickstarter Backer. I'm not seeing any discrepancies between what we all (well most) rallied for during Kickstarter and the path SotA development is taking.

If anything the change in focus happened 'during' Kickstarter, where the majority of backers plead for a new UO to make home. So multiplayer became 'a' focus, but I do not believe that the single player element is going to be negatively affected in any way.

Who, WHO?! would want to be testing the single player storyline, and ruin the journey? Not me. Also, you know if we were testing the single player storyline, some idiot would leak it all over the web.

There is a good reason no one is seeing single player campaign info. I don't get the drama surrounding the topic when it's pretty obvious.

By the way, I WANT a strong, single player Ultima. I got into gaming because of Exodus: Ultima III and played every Ultima after.

I know I'm coming across as an ass but I think people are jumping to conclusions without enough supporting evidence to really be worried.

Barnabas Znick likes this.
  20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It's not the story people want to know about it's everything else that makes it work....this is consistently lost on people.

Sir Cabirus and Noctiflora like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.