Is there no General chat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gypsy Lou, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

For a game that has such an incredibly strong community (here in the forums and as expressed in the in-game events), I'm surprised that there is so little in game chatter. At least, I have not been able to find it. Am I missing some option?

That said, it's wonderfully refreshing to be free from the cesspool that general chats typically evolve into. But when I find I have in-game questions, I ask in local and virtually no one ever responds. The lack of a general chat certainly has its benefits, but I'm left feeling like I'm playing a single player game with a lot of other players that might as well be NPCs.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

There's a link to an irc channel on the website under community.

3. smack

smack Avatar

They've stated there will not be a global general in-game chat channel. If you need help, stick around the banks or skill trainers in each town as it's usually populated there -- but be patient as sometimes they don't see the chat scroll by as they do their business. I know I've missed quite a few calls for help while talking to the skill trainer.

Also, try participating in some Community Events to increase your in-game social circles. Just about everyone in those is very helpful and friendly.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/release-15-event-forum.285/
    http://avatarscircle.com/community-events/
    http://sotaevents.com/

Isaiah, Abydos, TheMadHermit and 8 others like this.
  4. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

It would be just one more thing to moderate after the IRC and the forum. Also MMOs with global chats.....uh I shudder at the prospect of griefers, spammers, haters, racists, scammers, and the like having a way to spread their poison. I wouldn't mind such a feature if we had an option is disable it on the client, Freedom of Speech and all, but freedom from hate too please.

FrostII, Gaelis, smack and 2 others like this.
  5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

PLEASE NO GLOBAL CHAT!

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    There are good things about team speak, but this is a bad one, it makes an empty lonesome world if you want to play the game as intended. Most of my friends and people I know use it, and hate in game chat. I for one could do without teamspeak.

Logain, smack, Aenra and 2 others like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'd like chat bubbles... that can be toggled on and off.

Mishri, Logain, benn289 and 4 others like this.
  8. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

Ok, I've taken the advice here and it hasn't helped. I ask questions in the game and no one answers. Even if many are standing around.

I'm sorry, but I have to take back what I said about global chat. The game feels EMPTY right now because no one talks (except guildmates, I suppose, but I'm not in a guild). The game does not feel like an MMO because there isn't that constant chatter of global chat which I, frankly, miss.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Wanderlust, yes the chat window is a mess. I think we have mentioned it a bunch of times. We don't want to miss when someone is talking to us, so hopefully they hear us and fix it. I also right click on someones avatar and whisper to ask questions when they are away from the vendor.:)
    Then I had the problem that i wasn't in local anymore and kept whispering to that person anytime I'd comment, sheesh. /L or /local was not working for me, so i have to use the plus sign in the chat window and create a new chat window to get local back but if i whisper to someone again
    then that chat window isn't local anymore so I have to hit the plus sign again and go and delete all the chat windows with whispers to a particular person. *sighs* it can keep you very busy. and again did I say to the Dev team to please fix our chat windows so we can communicate
    a lot easier.;)

**edited typos, I hate my typos ;)
    ***************edited the chat window now works when typing /l key to get back to local chat..fixed in R16.****************

RDouglas, Gaelis, Beli and 1 other person like this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

My god that window would be worse with global chat....

11. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It's not designed to be an MMO.

IRC is your best bet.

12. Siren

Siren Avatar

This statement as it was written next your avatar just seems appropriate. Too funny, haha :)

13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

There was a long discussion in this forum back in February with a title something like "very antisocial in public areas" dealing with the non-responsiveness of players. After reading that thread I try more than ever to respond to questions asked in local chat, but I still sometimes overlook the question (or greeting) until it is too late. Feel free to give me a whisper in-game if you have questions.

RDouglas, Mad Max, Chatele and 3 others like this.
  14. Womby

Womby Avatar

It is easy to miss things that rush by in one's chat window, so if you want to be noticed, right click on someone and select whisper. The message will appear in their chat window with your name in bright blue.

Gaelis, Logain and Roper Docholiday like this.
  15. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

The major problem with chat is, that when you visit a merchant it opens a seperate chat tab and you don't see the local chat anymore and miss many things like group invites or even group or guild channels. Only whispers make it in this window. The chat still needs improvement. That's why I have the irc chat always open when I play so the people can ping me there.

16. Karuson

Karuson Avatar

You know i was bothered that there was no world chat, but after reading this and thinking about all the games i have played. World Chat is what brings games down. Its always 90% spam. And if its not spam, its players blasting negative comments about "bad" parts of the game or some one. In most cases trolls. So yes no world chat.
    But i would like to add that there needs to be a better way to let new ones know how to come in contact with other players. Most new ones are not that bright and may quit the game just because they don't under stand that this game brought us a new form of community to the game industry. I been playing for some time now and I'm just barely coming to understand how this community works and to get involved with others. Other wise i started to feel lonesome and just had to search every thing to understand what i'm missing.
    Just a simple 1st time login message "How to become part of the community" It don't even need to be that long. There are player instruction, but ones like me "OMG There is a lot of pages i ant reading that." Im one to just jump in and learn as i go as needed. so i play a game for years and still learn somthen new when it was there years ago. And if there is one in game it doesn't stand out. Community is always been Num 1 when its comes to mmorpg's, everything else just flows into place. With out the community its just another game.

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    There are a few Ideas listed in this thread on ways to meet new players and possibly alert new players to point them in the right direction. Feel free to discuss or improve on ideas there also. Or here! not trying to take away from this thread. :) https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/community-driven-game-longevity.22817/

Abydos and Miracle Dragon like this.
  18. Logain

Logain Avatar

What's your in-game character name so I can add you to the friends list? ;)

19. Veronica

Veronica Avatar

In reply to no one in particular – I am very thankful that chat in SotA doesn't make me feel like I'm sitting in front of a slot machine, for example, instead of immersing myself in an RPG. For this reason, and in wanting to avoid verbal assaults and other conversation disasters, I hope that 'world' chat, or "general" chat, does not get implemented in the future of SotA.

On the other hand, as a social creature I often wish to engage others in game related conversations when I am playing an online RPG. Without a 'world' chat we are left with our townsfolk, our guild folk, our friends, and our in-game party members to find and foster discussion. While this may be a blessing from chat spam relief and any unwanted discussion, perhaps it encourages us to be more participatory in numerous other ways; including other chat channels (i.e., guild, group, whispers), or socializing more at events, stopping to chat with those you pass by, or approaching people for discussion while visiting towns and villages instead of simply "/yelling" or using "zone chat."

One could also list many positive reasons in support of implementing a "world" chat, it is not my intent here to dispute that. On the contrary, I have played many other MMORPG's and have a long standing "love/loathe relationship" with general chat, zone chat, Barren's chat, world chat, trade chat, et cetera. I just want to mention a few positive aspects of not having a 'world' chat because the "SotA experience" should not be a typical (and rather predictable) "MMORPG experience", in my opinion. Especially if you are not in "multi-player online" mode.

One thing I am certain of, however, is that I too will on numerous occasion miss having a 'world' chat channel in SotA, though I would rather not have a 'world chat' in SotA, than have one. Please forgive me for being long winded but I didn't want to come off as lacking either tact or friendly demeanor!

Now, if I could just get some in-game player chat of any variety in The Sims 4!

:)

Edit: P.S. - you're welcome to add me as a friend in game, I could use more friends!

Veronica Nastasi

20. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Very good majoria70... I too wish they would fix the chat sys, cause it really sux... today someone was asking me a question, and everytime i typed the answer, the dang NPC started talking in my chat window ... so i had to move further away from all the dang merchants, just to answer the pooR patient NEWBIE's question ..... PLEASE fix CHAT ....

FrostII, RDouglas and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.