1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Full loot PVP and stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

From what ive understood, from the Devs not people on the forums is that PVE will not be forced to PVP! Thats already said and done, if they have town sieges, that shouldnt be a problem to get around it might take longer or whatever but so what!, PVP will not get in the way of PVE, since we'll be able to PVP anywhere! there may be special spots for PVP, but that is not going to hinder PVE. It will be PVP zone only! sorry just go around. simple crap like that is not ruining anyones play style! If there was a city under siege it shouldnt be a city that PVE would have to go to in the first place. You know if your PVE you dont have to worry about anything!

I think now all your doing is trying to speak out against PVP, there is no way in hell PVP will get in the way of PVE, i promise you that, if your PVE and you want to go to a PVP zone toughen up flag your butt and go in there and do what you got to do. if you chooses to go PVP you have only gotten in your own way! Where do you come up with this stuff? "PVP getting in the way of PVE?" PVE needs to chill!!!! they wont have to go PVP if they dont want to, so stop helping them hurt PVP by coming up with nonsense statements like "PVP getting in the way", that the most ridiculous thought ever! It also make me question your standing on the PVP thing, eventhough you yourself have said you were PVP sometimes it seems that you are not or never want to be. If that is the case thats ok enjy yourself we will not get in your way!

So far i keep hearing about how PVP is ruining the game for PVE but so far this whole game has been built around PVE, RP etc.... everything about it is PVE. Pve has over 80% of the game to themselves! Still they complain!!!!!!

Tahru likes this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I am waiting to see how reforging and salvage works, it is possible that gear may hold more value when melted down into ingots depending on supply and demand for raw materials. Especially if people are not taking top end gear into the full loot areas.

Tahru and blaquerogue like this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

So far you keep hearing what you want to hear. Guess I will need to link that RG quote after all. And while I am at it I will have to link the video where RG describes how the forge to smelt the ore from that shattered moon will be a PvP contested zone. If anyone wants to use the forge it will need to be PvPed for.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if I already link them to one in some other past thread.

Again, what I want or how I will play is irrelevant I am simply explaining something that other can't seem to get across. Something you ask repeatedly.

PvP is here to stay, so is PvE, but they are not segregated. PvP has an impact.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Tahru likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes. The current implementation of login to overland map is there due to all the bugs we used to have in R11-12-13 where people would have to delete their char to get out of situations.

There has been mentions and hints to a lot of such solutions but they are behind the dev+ screen.

Moonshadow and Tahru like this.
  6. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Ahh, I see. Agree about the gear based for WoW. Of the PvP games I've played WoW was my least favorite PvP, but the game still reigns King of the Mmo's and has for over a decade now, a lot of people love it, so I wouldn't knock it. I think we all have our favorites when it comes to mmo's, whether it's for pve or pvp. To me the most meaningful and purposeful PvP I ever played was Dark Age of Camelot (Before the ToA Expansion, it ruined the game for me, adding too much PvE and gear, before ToA our crafted gear was the best gear we could get in the game). I've never played a game since DAOC that's made PvP purposeful and meaningful. Ultima Online and Asheron's Call being second and third overall for PvP and PvE.

In UO it was a whole package game that I liked. Even though I lived in Felucca and killed Pk'ers mainly, it wasn't designed to be purposeful PvP. Sure I could loot those pesky griefers and take their stuff but to me the meaningful part was made by me not the game. After looting them got boring, I'd leave their stuff on them and come back to destroy them again, because it was more challenging to fight them with gear than without to me. I liked hunting down griefers. Asheron's Call I PvP'd but in that game it was mostly the vast world and tons of things to do that kept me playing for years. I wanted to like Warhammer but it just ended up a battleground game and keep taking wasn't that meaningful like it was suppose to be.

I eagerly await Camelot Unchained, in hopes MJ can recapture what made DAOC PvP/RvR the best to me. We'll see how it goes. :) So far with SoTA, I'm not seeing any purposeful or meaning elements of PvP, of course we don't have all the information yet either, so it's a wait and see on this too. To me throwing out gathering materials into a PvP zone in hopes you can get PvE people to come and get griefed isn't meaningful, and the chance to loot others isn't really that great a design to me either. I also feel it's a poor design to carrot PvE people into PvP areas. If you can't make PvP meaningful and purposeful enough to keep your PvP crowd interested without trying to get PvE people involved, it's boring and meaningless already. Like I said, we'll have to see what it becomes as it progresses to see how it will end up though. Right now, the plans seem pretty basic and boring. Based on what I know currently the side things are what I'll end up doing more in this game over any PvP. Things like fishing, housing, farming, crafting, etc. I'm hopeful they have plans to make PvP more interesting.

4EverLost, Isaiah and Tahru like this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

ok so if i understand correctly from A YEAR AGO! Its not some place you have to go! So there you have it, you dont have to go there. So with that in place no one will be forced to go there! How it will prevent PVE from passing through is unknown nothing was mentioned about that.

and he was talking factions as well. Which i hate even in UO! factions were stupid! I hope to god they dont go that route. For your sake i hope they dont make you have to go there! I still dont see where you will HAVE to go there!? To smelt a certain type of ore? 1 type! Not a game changer at all. Id say its a great way to incorporate your PVP friends to get that or make that stuff for you, and you can pay them for services. You dont NEED that stuff. Again we have come to the crossroad NEED and WANT.

Which he also mentioned later on, to hire your friends to do it. and you can go around it! Still not a problem or game changer. By the way thanks, i missed that deep dive! :)

They really need to come out with a new PVP deep dive that incorporates PVP now and not a year ago. on that deep dive at 6:50, darkstar reinstates no one forced to PVP as well.

Tahru likes this.
  8. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

There is never just one way to get anywhere.

The above ground method is Hilt. Built to be a choke point. The below ground version is Blackblade pass, filled with monsters. Then there are the Lunar Rifts...
    You can also head south and take a ship from Etceter to Aerie.

Ice Queen, blaquerogue and Tahru like this.
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

To be fair, any obsessive crafter wants to craft every recipe available to them so putting the forge in the pvp zone is going to make them go in there. It is almost the same as saying pvpers dont have to pve... unless they want tier 4 skills, in which case they have to do quests. By the way that is a thing heh.

4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

at 44:55 in this it should make all the people that cry grieving, feel a little more safer about rez kills or killing over and over, they seem pretty adamant that they will stop grieving! so check it out (again this was a year ago and a lot has transpired since then so we need to have a PVP death deep dive recap for where we are now!)

DavenRock [MGT] and Tahru like this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

then we come to the conclusion of choice, do we want to risk it or not!? Still not forced, by game only by want. but for you Themo if you need me to go with you there im game bro! :) Ill be one of the people to put air on the fire i dont really craft! so we can help each other out! :)

Themo Lock, Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I never said forced, I said it's a poor design to try and carrot PvE people into PvP zones. A PvP zone is worthless and meaningless if you can't entertain the people that enjoy PvP to keep them into a zone themselves. We all have our own likes and dislikes of what we think is good PvP. For me, killing PvE people coming into a zone to gather is meaningless and doesn't bring anything to the table for the type of PvP I enjoy. Killing the same PvP people over and over just to get a few scraps off them means nothing to me either. There has to be a good reason for me to be there, other than bragging rights of how I owned someone or how many people I killed that day, but that's me. :) I know some people enjoy just full loot and they're happy with that..That's great, there's just no substance in PvP if that's all I'm doing it for. In the end design SoTA just may not have the type of PvP I enjoy, and I'm ok with that, there should be plenty of other things to keep me occupied. :)

blaquerogue and Tahru like this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

At what point does want convert to need? What if every path on the overhead map was able to have a contested zone. What's it take before that "you are not forced" becomes "log off for a while because there is no way you are getting around it. Because if every road is block then they will be force to decide to either not play or PvP.

Hilt was an example of this. The best ore in the game can only be forged after the contested zone in under control. It's a wall, you are not forced but the choice is forced on you.

Here's another example, someone keeps getting spammed with duel requests. Is that person forced to duel, nope. That pop up is going to get annoying as hell though. If they didn't have an auto ignore duel request option we would see a whole heck of a lot of threads about how PvP is bugging the hell out of them. Hiding behind the word forced is ignoring that fact that PvP can affect more than PvP.

Tahru likes this.
  14. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

So another week has gone by where we don't know the big answer(s) to what SotA's big meta ideas for PvP is going to be. The general idea of full loot areas is a good step in the right direction but it is still not enough to really sell the game yet to players who care about epic pvp situations. Where are the big meta pvp ideas?

15. TantX

TantX Avatar

[​IMG]

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Maybe casting spells in SotA should disarm the caster unless he is using a wand or a staff? That might help even out the tank mage issue. If the player had to rearm after casting a spell (that isn't a combo with their weapon skill), then that might end that type of thing. So an archer could cast combos with this archery but if he casts fire arrow he should be disarmed from his bow to cast the spell. Then he should take a tempo to rearm again.

Same with melee weapons. If the spell isn't a combination with a weapon move then the weapon should be disarmed to use the somatic component of the spell (losing a tempo to disarm and rearm).

Tahru likes this.
  17. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

thank you Spoon! :)

Tahru likes this.
  18. TantX

TantX Avatar

I think there could be more innovative means to handle it. Slower casts, fizzle rate increases (already in, I think), specializing in a skill in Focus to minimize those penalties and so on. I don't mind casting with weapons, but there needs to be some additional balancing, 'cause anything that's there right now is negligible.

PS: My comment was more referring to one template or style of fighting dominating everything else. In T2A PvP, if you didn't roll a tank mage of some combination, you were gimping yourself.

Tahru likes this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Agreed, BUT....

I always leave room to criticize something. Facebook was clearly better than Myspace. It was designed well. However now that it is so large I've noticed that I don't much care for the way the facebook app functions.

The facebook app jumps from time to time while I'm reading a post. It automatically updates as soon as I look at the app too when sometimes I would like to look at the first post I see. Google+ doesn't update without me clicking the button saying "there are newer messages".

Another thing I don't like about facebook is that it doesn't show all my friends posts. Even if I select show most recient, I've specifically looked up people I haven't seen on my feed in a while and sure enough they posted things that did not show up in order of most recient. FACEBOOK FILTERS MY STUFF AND I HATE THAT.

In fact I find myself in the very dissatisfied group when it comes to Facebook but I still use it because it is the biggest network. However Google+ is FAR superior to facebook in every way except for people. EVERY WAY!

World of Warcraft... Yes it attracted a lot of players. It had amazing graphics when it first launched, and it was very "addictive". They had a great buisness plan, but not nessisarily a great game. I never liked WoW as much as UO, never ever! I leveled up to max level all the while hoping that I could finally at that time go around and explore the world like I did in UO and engage in PvP etc. Instead I found out that after max level there was a gear grind, and a daily quest grind.... and there was no end in sight for that. There was no exploration beyond the quests, and they kept releasing more tiers of epic gear to keep us playing paying and grinding.

In my opinion WoW is the biggest gaming hoax of all time. It is not the best game. Just because the masses flocked to it, doesn't mean it is any good at all.

There surely are things they did good. Team 2x2 pvp etc... but really the game is just built to be addictive and keep people coming back for more, and provided the ability to invite a friend... like a drug dealer handing out free drugs to get more addicts. It is like smoking! People stop getting a rush from the cigarettes, but they keep smoking so they don't feel withdrawls. That's what WoW does. I never want to play another game like it. It is an addictive drug that has no benifit. At least pot lets people get high WoW doesn't even do that?

Some people might be in denial (just like many drug addicts are always looking for the new rush). UO also might have been adictive, but it didn't force us to continually grind for gear etc. There was freedom to have community and make a living with a crafter, or you could fight battles in PvP. Strangely enough after I maxed out my main character and had a few 4x or 5x gm alts I was totally content in continuing to play the game.

The factions actually was what ruined my fun in UO because PvP became whoever had the largest army and used voice chat. In fact everybody was PvPing at that point. I kind of enjoyed the fact that some players didn't want to fight all the time. I liked having the simple chaos vs order where it wasn't the entire population fighting in massive waves. Who knows maybe I was the rare case, but I think UO changed so dramatically because EA probably though messing up the game would cause less people to move away to newer games with 3d graphics.

There was never a need for DRASTIC changes to UO. It was fine like it was. Slight tweeks from time to time to evolve is okay but EA made insane changes to the game and I finally left. IF I only knew that no other game would be as fun I wouldn't have given my account to a friend (who got my account banned for cheating too), so I could never get it back later. Otherwise I would have rejoined UO back in 2008 because I tried to resign up (even though I knew it had drastic silly changes).

Sorry for the wall of text but that's my thought on all that.

20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I have a fix for some of those issues. :) I don't use facebook, twitter, or steam. :D

GingerLee, Tahru and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.