1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Full loot PVP and stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I've got a 5 or 6 page brain dump I need to get approved but I don't think that will happen today due to SXSW and Tracy being in the office today. Instead I decided to just drop the important stuff here and let you discuss for a while.

First, the current plan is that loot claimed within a scene will stay with your corpse until you leave that scene. This means that if you run into a dungeon, run to the end, loot a diamond, that diamond is not really yours until you leave the scene. If you die deep in the dungeon, the stuff you just picked up will stay with your corpse. If you are in a PVP zone, anyone will be able to take those items.

So that isn't the full loot part but it adds quite a bit more risk to both the PVE and PVP side of things. Also gives PVP players something more to loot when they kill people!

Now for full loot announcement, we will have some scenes that are full loot. More details to come on this and other elements to make PVP more meaningful than just killing each other but I just wanted to drop this bomb before the weekend so we can see how many hundreds of replies it gets by Monday. :p

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I like it. It gives pvp what they want, and It gives pve a more difficult challenge. +1 Chris!

3. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

My god *ducks and runs for nearest emergency exit*

Logain, E n v y, Laila and 9 others like this.
  4. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

5. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

This is great news and a welcomed direction for potential epic pvp situations. Thanks!

Myrcello, smack, Abydos and 6 others like this.
  6. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

be cool to have a hypothetical neato thread, where you could actually do this with no implication of actual implementation etc, just because, love rants, lists, etc. anyway, whenever it gets here, i'll be here :confused: for whatever that can help :p

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Love it. Can't wait to hear more about the meaningfulness of pvp though.

It's fun and cool to have more risk vs. reward. But I hope in 6 pages we can hear more about conquest, sieges, guild vs. guild, how a solo player is supposed to survive in pvp zones (or if it's just going to be a gank fest and you'd better bring more people than the other guy).

8. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I have an idea on the PVE side, that it could instead be time-based...so that if you only just picked up an item it wasn't really yours, but if you had it in your bag and you'd been in the scene a while and hadn't left, the things that had been on you a while you'd picked up in that scene did become yours, and it was only the things you'd more recently picked up that could be lost.

Otherwise you're going to see people leave scenes perhaps mid-party, soon as they found a nice item they really didn't want to lose. And people that suddenly had a drama happen in their actual house (like a child needing attention etc) wouldn't lose the all things they'd spent maybe an hour collecting, just because they had to suddenly go afk and hadn't had time to leave the scene or get to a safe spot.

Thoughts?

9. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Thanks? ;)

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I have four kids, and if they're safe and taken care of then finding some nice item is secondary to that. I have no problems with the level of risk described in the OP.

11. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Well a lot of people will have a problem with this in PVE.

Chatele, Heradite, saesa and 5 others like this.
  12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yes, for non-PVP scenes, there will be a timer element as well so just staying in the scene long enough will make it yours. For PVP scenes that isn't currently planned as it could be too easy to just go hide somewhere instead of leaving.

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Name them? And I am not attacking you as a person. I like you :) I am attacking your argument.

14. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Awesome, glad you'd already considered this :) Cheers.

Chatele, saesa, Ice Queen and 3 others like this.
  15. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

As long as they don't put anything quest related in the full loot zones (or any PvP zones for that matter) I still don't see there being much draw for PvE to those areas (don't see there should be a reason for anti-PvP players to be forced into PvP if they don't want to regardless, but that's a different forum discussion altogether).

I do like that there will be more reason to clear out a section now prior to farming it for resources, or having others to watch your back. My only thought is what prevents someone from just /zoning out the second they see a threat or get to that target item? I know once they are IN combat it limits the ability to zone which rocks (except for the current bug preventing combat mode from ending), but is there any timer or delay after opening a chest or resource or something like that prior to being able to zone? Also, will party members be able to loot a corpse for a friend? Especially if the it is difficult to get to the rez spell, that would be highly tedious for someone to repop wherever and have to run all the way back to the rest of the party just to get their in area loot prior to zoning (as I assume if you zone without it that would either open it up for everyone or make it just lost to the world). Which actually brings up my next question... what happens if you zone with a corpse in an area (specifically in the sense of having not recovered your items)?

Hedbert, smack, 4EverLost and 4 others like this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Seems like a pretty good compromise.

However, I hope that the economy isn't balanced to make Full loot more palatable, ie throw away gear that noone cares about. This is one area that full loot proponents do't acknowledge as an issue.

Heradite, smack, Ice Queen and 4 others like this.
  17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I agree with this. For now though I am happy that PVP is getting some love. Very good questions though :)

Hedbert, Bambino, Tahru and 1 other person like this.
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Fantastic idea!!!

This is great if and only if it does not involve resources like other PVP zones. This should be a hardcore zone just for people that want to do it. I am definitely against including resources in a zone this insane.

FrostII, Segallion, saesa and 7 others like this.
  19. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Yeah I'm super excited to see the direction they take this.

20. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Hopefully the full loot scenes will be just for the real risk takers, who have to acknowledge they are doing something outside of normal gameplay, what with all the crafting-based goodness and whatnot, and they simply get to accept that losing their gear is just going to suck for them.

saesa, Kara Brae, Net and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.