Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I hope the tour guides and hat quest are back in R20

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by Kara Brae, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It was nice to have the novelty of a funny quest in R19 (rescuing the tour guides), but I hope the regular tour guide quest (to find the tour guides in different locations) is back in R20. The best part about the R19 quest was talking to the captive tour guides and provoking funny answers and emotes. Someone put a lot of thought and effort into their responses (thank you!)

Getting the quest reward this time requires a lot of walking, but it is over too soon and there is no danger. It doesn't provide much opportunity for experienced players to help new players. I think that additional player interaction in past releases helped give new players a positive first impression of the game.

I know that many will disagree with me, finding the old regular hat quests boring :p

2. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Once I rescue the tour guides (If I get that far) I am gonna melt them down for scrap.

Quenton and Kara Brae like this.
  3. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We have plans afoot to make people who like both styles of exploration happy. :)

Svahn, Quenton, Alexander and 23 others like this.
  4. Musaab Osman

Musaab Osman Avatar

I thought this quest was really fun. I was stunned when it was not a run and find.

It was a lot of fun to have a bit of story this time.

amaasing, Mac R, Heradite and 4 others like this.
  5. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I really liked this quest since it was not a run and find, but wished that it was a lot longer :rolleyes: Some verbal interaction with the bandits in the mine would have been nice ;) Also, shouldn't they have more than two or three low-level guys guarding this item (which should probably be in a locked chest, requiring you to get a key off the bandit leader's body) ?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  6. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We specifically kept it simple this time because it was a switch from what you were used to.

7. orcscout

orcscout Avatar

I personally had enjoy the R18 Grand Tour quest, I don't know if it was because it was my first one but I was very entertained discovering new areas and at the same time looking for the androids. This quest seem way too easy, like find-the-exit-of-a-maze behind a cheerios box easy.

Kara Brae likes this.
  8. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I will admit I had really hard time finding the Kobolds in Quel. Other than that the Quest was easy, but I did not mind, the change was refreshing, the note really funny. I sort of expected I will have to visit the guides once they are released, but that did not happen:)

What I really liked about this quest that it requires an item and I can pick up it multiple times, it saves me time to do the quest again with alt accounts. I would like more quests like this, when it takes perhaps longer to do it properly, but you can use short cuts and finish it quickly when you are doing it again.

amaasing, Arianna, Soleidad and 3 others like this.
  9. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit Avatar

Loved it! Thought it was clever, quick and fun! Also nice and easy for new players to jump right in and get the reward.

10. pirAte gAmbit

pirAte gAmbit Avatar

I really enjoyed saving the tour bots, most of all I enjoyed talking with Kobold captain .... and this quest deffinetly spiced up the opening R19 dance party as many Kobolds joined us in celebration :)

TheMadHermit likes this.
  11. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

When I found the camp, I already had the item as I had picked it up the night before when I entered the mine whilst looking for Quel. I'm not sure how much of the quest/conversation I missed, because as soon as I asked the commander about the missing item he said "I'll take that" and the reward was given.

12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I enjoyed talking with Ned, the captive, heh...

13. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Remember Ultima?, would have been nice to have various ways to complete quests, Run and gun it, Talk to Ned again convince him he was a bad boy and to join you in talking to his fellow bandits, Talk to guard who has a brother who runs a mercenary band who will sort the aggro out for a fee, useful for crafters etc, hope to see multiple choices in game?

Siriustar likes this.
  14. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

This is a great example of how SoTA can be different than any current game types.. they made it easy to switch it up .. not with the intention of how do I force more time from a player.. or how do I make this harder..

Well received Lum. Thanks.

majoria70 likes this.
  15. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Definitely nice to have something a bit different, but equally a bit too much on the short side for most of us vets it seems. It was almost like just handing it over.

Though, I'd imagine a much different experience for Levels<=10 vs. my 48 level badass...makes me kinda wish there was some component of mob scaling implemented...but don't quote me on that..,

16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I figured as much. I like this version of the Tour Guide quest much more than the others that made me run around looking for Tour Guides wedged between huge concentrations of things that would attack me. I also appreciated greatly that the item in this current quest was not hard to find and didn't require me to kill everything in sight. I'm only level 8 and I don't really have the time to skill up just to get a hat.

I think this quest took me about as much time to complete as the others did, but it was far more enjoyable and so the time seemed to go by much faster.

I have only two requests for improvement:

1. Please at some point stop giving us hats. There has to be something else we can get as a reward that all players can use. I'm sick to death of hats. It's overkill at this point. How about a book of lore?!
    2. I realize this is a big ask. But honestly the fact that the MadHermit and Envy Co. make videos telling people the most efficient way to complete these quests really devalues the experience for me. I love the videos and think they are a great service to the community. But the quests being so linear and requiring very little thought or choices that the MadHermit and Envy Co. couldn't already disarm is something that really reduces the experience.

What I'm talking about is making a dynamic quest. :)

And because I know this is a huge ask, even for launch, I'm going to take a stab at some simple logic that might help you guys make an attempt at this for a future release.

Dynamic Tour Guide Quest for Release 2x:

Goal: Deliver a new servo motor to the Tour Guide in X.

Summary: Automations all over Novia have stopped working! We need you to help us repair them!

Step by Step:

1. Visit the Tour Guide in Soltown:
    "Visit the Kobold War Camp in Verdantis and speak with the Kobold Commander. He will give you a new servo motor that can be used to fix an automation that is in need of repairs. But here's the catch. The Kobold Commander will want something in return for his help! Talk to the commander and find out what he requires for payment."

2. Visit the Kobold Commander:
    "I will help, human. First I need to know that you humans are not planning to attack me with army of lazy stupid robots. Go to X and report on Human soldiers. Tell me where their battle camp is and how many of them you see. Then I will give you robot heart so you can play toy fighting again in-between naps."

3. Visit Human Camp in X.
    You find a Human "Camp" of performers, not soldiers. You count 5 of them, but if you talk to them you learn there are actually X more out looking for food in the woods (this number changes and is dynamic). You also learn that the performers are lost and scared of the Kobolds they've seen.

4. Return to Kobold Commander: You have a choice, tell them the truth or lie. Either way you get the server motor. But here's the catch, the Commander already knows the right answer, so if you lie or you're just wrong in the answer you give, he will give you a bad servo motor and the quest will not be completed.

5. Take the Servo Motor to an Automation that needs repaired (this changes and is another dynamic part of the quest). There are several Automations that may need repaired, but you don't know which ones. Luckily for you the Kobold Commander knows and has written the name of the city you need to go to on the servo motor he gave you. You travel to this town and quickly find that the servo motor does not work (if you lied) or that it does work and the quest is completed if you told the truth.

6. However, as you leave the town you are immediately put back into a scene where the camped performers are returning from the woods and apparently going back into the town you just came from. If the quest is not completed, they thank you for your help in directing them out of the woods and to this town safely - as they followed your tracks here, and reward you with the Tour Guide quest item! (Don't you feel good?)

If the quest is completed, they inform you that the people looking for food in the woods never returned and they found Kobold footprints leading them to believe that somehow the Kobolds learned their location and killed or captured their companions.

Either way, you have impacted the world of New Britannia this day. And perhaps your choices will play a role in future Tour Guide Quests to come. :)

Miganarchine likes this.
  17. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I would like to see Quests to do without fighting, Detective quests etc, Secret World does them so well, With puzzles linked to lore or something along those lines.

Parallaxe and gtesser like this.
  18. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

As someone who hasn't had the time to work a character up that is able to stay alive in dangerous places lately, I appreciated how easy this one was to complete. Also didn't mind that it was short. As much as I like exploring, I think it's better to do so on your own terms than to try and rush through it to find a tour guide.

Sir Frank and Net like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well please give us a wizard hat first. We dont have a special wizard hat.:)

20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I enjoyed the quest. Thank you for the variety Devs!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.