Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Recipes: We've been doing this all wrong.

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Sep 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

People could always write recipe books for other players in game, to avoid players exiting the game to a wiki.

Lord Baldrith and 4EverLost like this.
  2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm one of the few who champion the storyline...yeah. I seem to be one of the few that value the original ultima's over UO as well.

Oh well, I do look at systems a lot and I'm farely good at seeing exploits etc.

GreyMouser2 likes this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Regardless if the recipes are required to be purchased or otherwise learned in game, the wiki will have them listed. It's just annoying to not have somewhere to track how many of each type of material you will need to make something. So we will eventually test everything.

If Port wanted to give us access to a database dump, or even just drop a giant crate of crafting materials on us, I'd be fine with doing the testing for them. That's what I'm in prealpha for.

4EverLost likes this.
  4. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Sometimes yes, recipes that are entered are directly from recipe book screenshots and from those there are recipe variants of different material combinations that should work. There are some recipes from old removed things that are still lingering but there should be a R# to suggest that is several releases old. Here is a link to those screenshots

I thought they provided all the recipes for sale somewhere, not all in one place mind you.

They have not yet started to balance recipes, they have spent all their time on pvp, now however they have hired a dedicated crafter Dev so things in the crafting department should start progressing.
    Absolutely, I have asked for it since the dawn of crafting, make resources plentiful, consistently though they have always said it was coming, we where only at base skills etc.
    In one sense I think Gathering works now so that part is tested, now it's time to crank up the gather numbers to ridiculous so we can have mats to test everything. On the other hand then we have no way of testing the value of the items, only if they can be crafted. The value and effectiveness is just as important as being able to craft it at all.
    There is a better way & according to the R#'s to get combat up a bit, I'd say we have about 5 Revisions of crafting nightmare to get through yet where they change the recipe ingredients or quantities of mats or quantities of produced items (I'm looking at you arrows )

I take it you don't use my spreadsheet :p

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Lord Baldrith and Spoon like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would actually like to see recipe books that could be sold ingame. If someone wanted to buy a complete book on carpentry from a player crafter then they could. A bit like the old spellbooks in UO, a scribe would make them and then sell them.

Lord Baldrith, Kvow and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Tha
    thank you ^^

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I thought i remembered them saying domething about recipies being teachable in game, like for rare recipies you have to find and learn via quest or whatever, i think i heard mention at some point of the ability to give limited use schematics to other folks

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If they modified all the recipies they would have to be tested again.

The shop in owls head should be selling all of the recipies currently in game. If you need money for them you can get quite a bit by crafting components and sellin em to the right npc, or find a buncha bandits and thugs to kill (west perennial trail, whiteguards foothills, road encounters, on of the ravenswood places

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Right. But shouldn't the process of adding new recipes or changing them be essentially bug free? Maybe it's juts me, but I would imagine this being a repeatable process that shouldn't have lots of bugs. Enter new data into a database, plug and play.

My point is that if this is not the case, and we have to manually test everything to this degree everytime anything is changed, ever. Then we should be using the community more efficiently by providing all the recipes outside the game (since the game can't be trusted). See if we're relying on the Owl's Head vendor as our trust repository, and we're still finding bugs, then we need to fix something - either the design or the execution.

10. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

hahaha ha haha ha ha . . . . . . whoaa!!! oh my goodness!! that was a great belly laugh!

11. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

B
    I didn't say they got it right, I said they spent all their time on it.

12. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

No problem, I was just laughing at the prospect that they had spent all or even most or even any significant amount of their time on pvp related issues. If you have evidence to show otherwise, please let me know as I have been wanting/wishing for pvp content or design announcements. Did I miss something good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.