1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Combat/Skills/Spells video chat!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Lich vs. Skeleton...

This is along the same lines as the Vanish vs. Shadow Form question, asked above by Knov. Why train in Skeleton if you can train in Lich?

:) Please don't say because one costs less focus and is further up the skill tree. I'm looking for a practical reason. (maybe a reason that isn't in the game yet and that will require a solution that hasn't been thought of yet)

2. Drocis the Devious

REQUEST: Allow Mind Lock and Mind Wipe to only work on designated glyph boxes. This would allow a little flexibility in creating a deck.

3. Drocis the Devious

Can we turn on friendly fire for PVP? (this is another thing that helps solo players, A LOT)

4. Drocis the Devious

What will be the main difference between using a wand and using a staff? Since the wand only requires 1 hand, how does using a staff compensate for that disadvantage?

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Question: Will you consider removing slugs for the new use based system? I understand part of why they were introduced but they disrupt the hotbar and are annoying. Wearing inappropriate armor should have penalties, we know that, but slugs to let us know part doesn't belong as an icon in the hotbar in my opinion. Perhaps *your armor is weighing you down* *struggles to raise plate encapsulated arm and fizzles healing touch* just joking on that one. :cool:

6. Drocis the Devious

When will spells and auto attack stop shooting behind players and while they're running?

KuBaTRiZeS and Abydos like this.
  7. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Please discuss the thoughts you have on skill advancement using game mechanics instead of the skills UI. You mentioned five methods.

Also, is it the intent to have the same character assume to play all three online modes? (I hope not due to obvious exploits).

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Question: I am a big fan of the free attack and hope it improves a little though. I play a warrior, So can we get a windup of other skills, such as; I would love to wind up for a charge attack, but I want to also use it for bludgeons since I only use a 2 handed axe, perhaps charge is a tactics so it becomes a warrior skill. Mages have blink, warriors have charge, perhaps there is a tactics tree for mages and warriors.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  9. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I happened to see 2 archer mage characters dueling in Owl's head today...they just stood there railing on each other with spells, arrows and elemental damage. That's 3 layers of damage and you don't even have to move. One of the players was accused of cheating so I don't know if that's what a real archer/mage fight looks like. It just looked like 2 players spamming spells and arrows... no real dynamic aspects to the fight. I just hope that when PvP balance occurs that there are reasons to be a pure mage vs an archer/mage that gets a free layer of damage and it would seem they will always out DPS a pure mage. I don't want to see archery being a mandatory thing in PvP. They weren't even kiting each other and that's one of the most powerful tactics of an archer is to snare their opponent and kite them from a distance. I can only imagine what melee characters will have to contend with.

Most of the other questions I would ask have already been listed such as the adventuring xp pool issue. My suggestion was to reduce the xp cost for spells/skills so that it doesn't drain your pool as fast. If there are several different ways to increase the adventuring pool then it's not as much of an issue such as xp from monsters, xp for discovering points of interest, or even special clues or arcane knowledge in books, quests, etc.

KuBaTRiZeS and Sara Dreygon like this.
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

My mage avatar used to be able to fight her way through high level areas wearing cloth armor. In R21 she was so weakened that she had to stick to beginner areas all month. In R22 she is able to go to medium difficulty areas (e.g. Greymark Forest), but only if she wears plate and relies on using a weapon (polearm). Will prospects improve for mages?

11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Question: What is the future for combo skills?

Sub-question: Will combos continue to be active deck drag-based only (vs. locked)? Has there been consideration to moving combos into the skill trees directly, also making them use-based skills?

Sub-question: How many more combos (in general) might we expect to see? For example, will blade combos expand to have ice and lightning in addition to fire? Or will certain damage type combos be limited to certain trees? Why?

12. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

There is a lot of disparity in skill gains. And some of it isn't clear why.

I tend to play sneak-types. Are there long term plans to address the fact that (even with magical hiding) enemies could care less and see you anyway?

Can we get an auto-facing mechanic so I will stay facing my targeted opponent?

Chatele likes this.
  13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

The spell trees are very thin for ranged spells.

I currently use Ice arrow and fire arrow mostly because those are the ones that have range and do the most damage (at least they use to)

How about adding some more spells like ice ball (% chance to FREEZE target/s does more damage than ice arrow, ice storm % chance to FREEZE group of targets does good area damage, Fire Blast (% chance to explode on contact does more damage than fire arrow), Fire Storm (Area of effect that has a % chance to explode on area of targets)...

Also, Cloth armor: Any hope if it being more effective for pure mages? I use cloth as a pure mage hoping my armor will enhance my casting and spell power. Focus Regeneration...Benefits to my ranged fighting. As a pure mage I fight from a distance (at least that is what I hope to be able to do someday here).

Defensive Stance/Acrobatics...Can they have some better effects? Our defensive/light armor buffs are not noticeable for helping survival. Generally mobs reach my mage and he needs to be able to avoid damage somehow... Ice Shield should freeze targets that get next to me...Thus far the freeze of the ice tree is lackluster and non-effective...Ice is cold, Ice should freeze.

Staves/Wands....Staves should enhance a school of spells with more damage. Same with Wands. I would love to use a Staff...but it doesn't work. I use a polearm because it does more damage than my magic and I generally have to fight melee with my mage. I do not want to melee with my mage :)

14. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

You mentioned in another thread that ranged characters should not expect to be able to go toe-to-toe.

How are ranged charaters going to play out in all the underground scenes where there is no room to kite and no LOS at distances?

Violation, Chatele, Gurney2 and 5 others like this.
  15. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Will you eventually split skills into treating PvP and PvE targets differently?

5 seconds may be a perfect amount of time for disabling shot in PvP but it may need to be 8 seconds in PvE.

16. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

If you use blinging shot (reduces dex) on someone who has no dex does it do anything anyway to their attack skill?

Do Avatars have a base hidden dex? Or Str/Int?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  17. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

- Could combat be changed to be focused on interaction with the opponent instead of interaction with the hotbar?

- Could combat be changed to require a click on the opponent to apply damage instead of a click on the hotbar?

- Could auto attack be removed to make combat more interactive?

- Could the randomness be removed from combat to make combat more tactical?

- Could the combat system be set up in such a way that combat would work without having the combat bar visible?

- Could some sort of movement or button based combat be be implemented where there is no hotbar, you hold a button and move one way to do a particular attack or do a button combo to perform a special attack?

Some of these questions are borrowed from this thread:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...are-they-still-using-deck-based-combat.38258/

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Is there going to be a way that you can have at least defensive skills ready after being attacked when you are out of combat? I find it a bit putting off waiting for a cool-down after being attacked.

Chatele, Gurney2, Kutas and 3 others like this.
  19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    The reckless stance and the bezerker stance. I am playing around with them now. Is there a way that will regenerate your health faster (like the healthy skill) but better? I seem to lose a lot of health fast and no way to keep it sustained right now. I have not gotten my healthy to high though, so maybe at higher levels the healthy does what I am asking?

Moonshadow and fantalio like this.
  20. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

:confused:
    Thanks Chris NOT :p
    Is that! your final answer:D:D:D:rolleyes:

4EverLost likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.