Cash Grab Game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

is this game going to always be a cash grab game? or will the pay to win store eventually go away?

i usually try and avoid games that cater to the rich.

my understanding was 5 million would fund the game were now at 9 million and the store is still sucking up money.

kazeandi likes this.
  2. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

You got me wondering, 'How much does it cost?' So I went to a few sites to find out. This Site seems has a list near the bottom of the article and I looked at the games between 2010 and now. I didn't do the math but I'd say from looking at it that it probably averages at about 30 to 40 million for a semi-decent title that is not a continuation of something that was already built. This with many of the better titles being priced much higher.

Anyway, check it out. As to the add-on store, it does seem that the prices have risen significantly since it first came out. As to whether it will go away or not, I do not know.

Hope this helps.

Katrina Bekers, Logain, Womby and 2 others like this.
  3. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

what pay to win store?

unless i can drop my lord marshal home on you like it were a piano. how..what?

Obviously OP isn't involved in Star Citizen.

4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Most everything in the store is for housing, clothes, or decorations. The only thing that actual helps you that i can see are the prosperity tools, and those really don't make that big of a difference.

CrazyPhil, Womby, KuBaTRiZeS and 4 others like this.
  5. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

That would be an AWESOME summon; it would need to have the 20 minute long Final Fantasy style animation where you can go wash your car, make lunch, and take a nap before it finishes dropping the house, leaving just feet sticking out ala Wicked Witch-Oz style :p

Mac R, Katrina Bekers, Womby and 4 others like this.
  6. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

thanks, its more the pay yo win thing i hate. people say this isny pay to win but it is. i could buy x amount of what ever on the store and sell that for ingame gold for the best weapons items rares what ever.

example i buy a town lot and place this, then i sell the placed lot for lots of gold. pay to win.

kazeandi likes this.
  7. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

settle down dorothy.

Lace and Duchess Fionwyn like this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

all you are doing is guessing and speculating, sure some items will have value but a lot wont as most all players have them?

The game is months away from launch and the items bought really are nothing more than decorations :)

9. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

its my understanding housing will be rare has this changed?

10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

to answer your question truthfully, and without dismissing your concerns like most other posters in this thread,

as far as I know the devs have not given an expiration date for the addon store, and it most likely will stay here forever.

Ice Queen likes this.
  11. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Wait, pay to win? How is buying in the store then selling it in game for gobs of gold playing to win??? There is a story and quest line here and having tons of gold has nothing to do with it. Let me see you "play to win" through the story quest line.

Womby, Lord Woengus, Kaisa and 6 others like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

some type of houses yes, like the 4 story row house, but that is a house decoration, I am sorry you don't like how it looks but to me decorating is not winning. If I could buy a set of Aug Armor and stuff to play with different story, but . . . . . .

Fister Magee and Duchess Fionwyn like this.
  13. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

So what do you "win" in this game? I seem to keep seeing this reference, but not sure why this game would be considered to have a way to "win".

14. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

We must maintain our superior technology in aerial housing deployments! :p

15. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

eww quests gross, mabey thats your goal but any time there is a way for rich peoplr to buy stuff from a online store and sell it in game to have an advatage in pvp or what ever its a problem.

if i sold that house in my previous example and bought a sword of awesomeness i would have a level and a gear advantage over someone who wasnt a 1%ter.

kazeandi likes this.
  16. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

Where?
    Where's the story and the quest line?
    What holds you back from paying Richard 20.000$, then selling it in game and buying everything you could possibly ever need, then running the mobs over, onehitting stuff left and right?

Well, currently, you can ski through the minizones, grind a little faster with buggy skills, but if you're into melee, that's a very possible outcome.

The core gameplay as such is still very bad though, and if it stays like that, nobody would pay for that. People would pay for housing as THAT would be the game - and I suspect that's been the plan all around.
    All the "medieval" stuff is just to set the scene and mobs are just some flavor, some pastime when you feel like being in the game, not decorating your house with the new "dragon head trophy" or so.

And in conclusion, buying content for cash is called "pay to win" - easy, innit.
    Should even be comprehensible to the most adamant backer who has spent a few years worth of income.

But then defend it like that, because nothing else holds water. Say it with a straight back. You bought your housing because you could and that's your game and if you don't like it, play some game. Because SOTA is a real estate sim and the "gameplay" takes part when you sit at your desk at work, "farming gold" for the next feature to buy.

17. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I think the best answer to your concerns is that because the game will be in development for the foreseeable future, the add-on store will always exist, and there will always be a push to raise money.

So, if you define the way it is now as pay-to-win, and don't like the idea of a story driven RPG, this game may not be for you.
    You could sell your pledge if you have one, and would be none the worse off.
    I hope you do find something you enjoy playing.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Good thing this game never intended to have quests... and I'm glad you found a game that fits your playstyle! :)

but seriously.. you do know this is an RPG?

On topic, there are no items in game yet that will give me an advantage worth spending real money on. Even crafted and augmented and enchanted gear isn't that much better than base gear from the store.. to claim this is pay to win, is completely misguided or meant to start another forum war.

I do wish I had a better land deed, but I cannot fathom when my pledge level will allow me to 'win' or beat others in whatever race I see before me... as mentioned.. how do you 'win' at this game?

19. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I appreciate your comment, but not everyone here spent a ton of RL cash, or even got into the housing part. I'm looking for a good single player storyline, and I'm so far fairly (not entirely, as it's still being worked on) happy with how the progress is going. The last Hangout with Richard and the other Devs was geared towards answering questions and giving more info on the story aspect, which has admittedly been lacking until this last release.

We'll have to wait for July with the final wipe and land rush to see how the housing thing all plays out. Especially if you plan to play Offline SP mode, then it won't really matter, since it will only be your own character to worry about in the world.

Womby, 4EverLost and Fister Magee like this.
  20. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

Shards online looks amazing.

Smitty and kazeandi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.