Poll - Binding Points

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Satan Himself, Feb 26, 2016.

?

How many binding points would you prefer?

1. None. I already have enough binding in my life.

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. One. The way it's designed in R27 is good.

37 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. Two. Because two is better than one. Unless you're talking about wars or flesh wounds.

65 vote(s)
    59.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Simple poll to determine people's preferences for the number of available binding points available. I'm assuming that more than 2 binding points is a non-starter, so this choice isn't included in the poll, even though many of us might prefer multiple binding points.

Personally I believe two binding points would be a good solution. I'd suggest one for your house (if you have one) and one for a town of your choice. Players who don't own a house could designate two towns. That would take away any pay-to-win aspects of binding and still allow us a little more flexibility and speed in travel. Use of binding points should have a reasonable cool-down timer (10 minutes?) and I'd be happy to say you can't recall if you're overweight. But don't let any of THAT influence your response .... ;)

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Knew this was coming :) to bad they spoiled us to early :(

One is fine have to learn to live with it.;)

If you start now we will have rune books by the end :confused:

3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

God I hope so.

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

+1 for the rune book.
    Otherwise two points please.

5. Selene

Selene Avatar

I mentioned this elsewhere, but will add it here, too. I think the second bind point should be to your guild house. It would give guilds a means to better organize assistance between members, and, since anyone can join a guild, would not give an unfair advantage to multiple property owners.

6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Right now we only have one binding for recall scroll to take us to. For those who have a personal home far away from a second house (vendor, guild house, mistress house, etc), it is very inconvenient to have to spend time going across the world just get to the other location. Yes, it may take less than 10 minutes to around. Some people have to do that, good for them. But there are other people who have limited play time and would rather spend time on more fun stuff rather than commute.

Yes, we can still teleport to a friend or alt account. But I would rather not have to workaround and just be done with 2 binding locations.

Budner and Ice Queen like this.
  7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I admit, I got used to the luxury of zoning to my home to make travel faster and easier. Up until R25, I only had one lot to zone to but when I got a 2nd home in R25, it truly was easy mode. I had one home in Aerie and one in Owl's Head.

With the boat travel from Aerie to Elysium to Etceter, it was super easy to avoid a couple control points and get to a sort of central location. From Etceter, you can freely walk on the map to the Desolis area and/or northeast Novia. So, I could travel from Southwest Novia to Northeast Novia without going thru any control points at all... And, with the lunar rift in OH and/or the boat in Kingsport to Ardoris, traveling between southern Novia and Hidden Vale was a breeze.

So, having those two lots to zone to gave me access to about 60% to 75% of the entire map without having to deal with a single control point.

While that was convenient for me, I understand that this sort of thing is not what the Devs want to happen. If I only had 1 bind point, then I would possibly still be able to skip some control points to get around, but only in one direction. I would likely have to run through at least some control points on the return trip.

Now, consider if they allowed us just 2 bind points instead of 1, and don't exclude the ability to teleport to a friend. I think it's way too easy to avoid that content and circumvent the regional economies they are trying to establish. In fact, 1 bind/recall point and teleport to a friend can still allow you to do this now and the single bind point won't really be an issue for anyone in a guild or who has a lot of friends.

So, I see the reasoning behind why they are giving us only 1 bind point. But if we're going to be realistic about it, this idea won't work as long as there is also the Teleport to a friend option too. Having both options will allow people to blip around the map at their leisure anyway. May as well just give people 2 bind points.

cartodude, Budner and Miracle Dragon like this.
  8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think travel is meant to be largely difficult in this game. Much of the lore behind the game has made that clear. Also, means for faster travel are in the plans for future development. If multiple bind points become a thing, much of this future development will be wasted, because it's easier and faster to teleport between bind points than it is to ride a horse or take a boat, or fly in an airship.

Lets not sacrifice the exciting future developments this game has to offer for the sake of conveniences today. Maybe traveling is meant to be a part of the adventure, and the challenge is meant to provide a sense of fulfilling accomplishment.

Vaentorian, Gaelis and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  9. Curt

Curt Avatar

What i want is different tiers of recall/teleport scrolls
    • basic you and 50 extra weigth?
    • standard you and 100
    • premium you and 200
    Each more expensive to make.

Brandhor likes this.
  10. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

Zero bind points. Because you cannot always have your cake and eat it too.

11. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I would love that! :)

Budner, Cally and Leelu like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes well vote only if you've tried it out first. I think the current system will work but we do need an extra bind option so I voted for 2 and they can be changed and rebinded.:)

Budner and Ice Queen like this.
  13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I vote for more than 2. I can't advertise my vendors so I am still pushing for the recall/mark system of UO for marking special places for friends to visit and once dropping items on the ground comes in (hopefully) runes on the ground to advertise etc. I will keep fighting the good fight no matter how unpopular it makes me :)

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm pushing for bulletin boards in town squares to advertise our vendors, events, place work order requests, ask for help requests, leave messages, help with needless meandering by being in the know, and in the long get the players connected even while we are so spread out. Do not force us to be separated and segregated and disconnected. This will help with needless travel times. Please, please, please don't go the cheap route. @DarkStarr, @Richard Garriott, @The devs.

Brandhor, cartodude, Budner and 3 others like this.
  15. Miracle Dragon

Vendors should make daily/weekly trips to the market and monthly trips to the city market. There should be seasonal market fairs, where locals can enter their goods for competition and notoriety. These are regular things that made real-life farms successful, and we should be doing the same in this game. I know most of that is on the development table to some degree, but I suppose until they are implemented a single binding point combined with purchasing orders (which are in-game now) is a fair compromise.

16. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I'm with you!

17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think we should have 1000 bind points and then multiply that number times zero to get our final result.

18. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I already see myself accosting strangers: You live in the Hidden Vale? Will you be my friend? Please?

Vaentorian, Acred, 4EverLost and 3 others like this.
  19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, and people just using additional accounts to use as teleport mules too heh. I hoped I'd be done with having to have mules like we did in Asheron's Call, and my buff bot mule in DAOC. Now I'll need teleport mules if we only have 1 bind point in Sota, heh.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Duke Zymurgy, agra, Beaumaris and 3 others like this.
  20. Miracle Dragon

Maybe there should be n-1 bindpoints.. n = # of continents (also episodes) in the game. So for episode 1 where we only have Novia, 0 bind points. episode 2, 2 continents, 1 bind point. Episode 5, 5 continents, 4 bind points.

Cianna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.