#1 rule, Don't copy UO..... period...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SmokerKGB, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

IMO, UO failed bigtime. I lost interest because it wasn't "Fun" anymore, it was only drudgery. The Storyline was lost somewhere, never to be found again. Systems were added for just another "Lottery" to win. On top of the existing four.

I was a Crafter and I couldn't succeed because there was always someone running a "Bot" program to "Farm" everything. This was the only way to play the "odds" game. 50,000,000,000 to 1

Vendors charged outragous amounts of Gold, if I could find a vendor selling the resource I needed. There was absolutely NO competition. No one could see all the available "sales" offerings and if someone wanted to "Hoard" it, they just did.

The "Odds" were against me of ever succeeding, So I quit after 13 years of Hoping for improvement.

I started playing WoW and found it "Fun" to play, my highest level chr is 60, I'm just having Fun playing.

I Love the AH. All my chrs sell their Crafted items, I know how to compete.
    I Love the Leveling system
    I Love the "Agro" system
    I Love Fishing
    I Love Crafting
    I Love Questing

BillRoy likes this.
  2. God

God Avatar

So you like WoW because it's simplified?

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

@SmokerKGB, you are wearing a KGB tag in your name, but I don't recall you being in the KGB, unless you are unintentionally using the KGB tag to mean something other than the Knights of Glory and Beer. Are you? You might well be in the KGB - I certainly don't claim to know everyone in the guild, particularly the new guys who have joined with Darkfall. I just want to make sure there is no confusion on the SotA boards, since I have mentioned the KGB guild frequently, so if you are not Knights of Glory and Beer KGB, we just need to clarify that.

One thing that makes me think you are not in the Knights of Glory and Beer KGB is that Ultima Online is a big part of the guilds history, and most of the veterans from those days remember UO with great affection. Indeed, the Knights of Glory and Beer have been waiting a decade for a game with the PvP environment UO offered, but most games since have fallen short.

TigerKhan likes this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Yes, call me a fool, but the last 5 years was the worst, I just paid my accounts. I was Loyal to a fault. I Loved the single player Ultimas 2-10 and started UO at the very beginning. I had 2x 18x18 houses across the road from each other, I did one in a Western wooden look and the other in Dungeon brick with my torchure chamber in the basement. I just couldn't let go until I noticed I was only logging on to water my plants, then logging off to play WoW.

5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Oh, totally with a PvP switch and "normal" shards, PvP shards, RP shards, and 10k in Gold is actually worth something. The AH is the best.

BillRoy likes this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

No, sorry, I was not a member of the KGB. I do have some fawnd memeries of UO, in the 1st weeks before the PKers took over. The PvP enviroment you are waiting for will never be, sorry to bust your bubble but PKing is NOT PvPing and no game will tolerate it.

7. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

For many of us, the lack of story line was a huge draw. UO was purely sandbox. There were no quests and we made our own stories. It truly was the standing definition of RPG because we made our own roles within the world rather than simply playing the role of a character who is essentially forced to follow a story line and finish quests. IMO quests are more suited for single player RPGs than an MMO.

What ruined UO was EA making all the wrong decisions on how to further develop the game after Richard left and Origin was torn apart.
    This was solely because EA stopped caring enough to take care of people who were scripting. It had nothing to do with the game itself, just the people who ran it.
    This depended solely on the era. When I left UO in 08, the price of ingots was lower than it had ever been because of recall mining scripts that would run all day long. Ingots and other easily scripted resources became dirt cheap compared to the 6-8gp they cost back in T2A. The real money making in UO towards the end of my time on EA servers was guilds that delt in duped rares, powerscrolls, and runics. And yes, I certainly hoarded my resources because I actually used them. :p
    The odds were against you because post 07 the odds were against everyone for the exact reasons I stated above.
    Which is fine, but there are already a hundred WoW clones out there. I'd certainly rather not see SotA turn into another one.
    Auction House is a dirty word in mmos anymore. If SotA ever developed one, I'd rage quit the game faster than a miner getting ganked while carrying 60k valorite ingots.
    The leveling system... I always preferred UO to the standard leveling systems we saw in MMOs, however, this new soft cap skill tree we're hearing about in SotA sounds great.
    I'm not sure what an Ago system is.Fishing in UO was great during it's time, though limited. I heard they have greatly expanded upon it but I've not cared to check it out first hand. I spent more hours on a ship than I care to think about.
    Crafting was also something I really enjoyed in UO (which is one of the reasons I'm a pure crafter in both the UO freeshard I play on and will be for SotA), though again, very limited compared to games like SWG or Eve.
    Questing... goes back to my original statement.

This, of course, is solely my opinion, but I think you're going to have trouble finding much love for WoW or any of it's mechanics in a game filled with people who are somewhat obsessive about Ultima and have been waiting for a game to come out that builds off what Richard started with his series.

8. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Yeah, you tell him Mystic!
    *Slams the door doubly hard*

I have never played UO, but I have played WoW, and I don't want anything like WoW. If I did I would be playing all those other WoW clones instead of waiting impatiently for the promise of SotA.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  9. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

SotA is the "spiritual successor" to Ultima Online. Enjoy!

10. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I disagree with the op and the fact you played for 13 years is testimony to the greatness of UO

I would call UO a pioneer and a success.

I loved it. I cant recall any game that has ever got my blood pumping or made me curse and sweat like uo.

I want UO 2.0

I want a huge amount of melee weapons like uo.

Similar combat and magic system.

Similar murder and karma system

Similar timing and movement.

Similar crafting and economy.

No auction house

One world for all.

Bring all the same mounts from UO.
    we want many different kinds of horses.
    please no WoW mounts and flying pigs.

please don't sell out.
    Minimize micro-transactions.
    No playable panda race for the kiddies.

11. nightowl2

nightowl2 Avatar

@sakuraba It appears you'll have to go to freeshards and what's left of UO to get your UO 2.0 fix then because SotA is going in a very different and new direction.

12. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Yeah your probably right but ill continue to support Shroud and see what happens.

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think open PvP in SotA would be just the environment the KGB is looking for if SotA implements a system that flags people who attack people criminally. Just because I am flagged for open PvP in the game does not give another player the right to attack me. If I am subjected to an unjustified attack, that is a criminal act, and if I am killed unjustifiably, that is murder. A Criminal/Murderer should be a valid target for anyone, and this provides a role for the Anti-PK in Shroud of the Avatar.

So what is the significance of the KGB reference in your name?

14. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

One of the things this shows is that people will always have different perspectives, based on different play styles. If I'd played UO I'd probably be similar in opinion to the OP.

"recall mining scripts that would run all day long" as Mystic said would have driven me nuts too. An era where you can't play an open multiplayer game anymore because of scripters and farmers is just sad. It really is. That's why "friends" multiplayer is so huge I guess.

BillRoy likes this.
  15. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

@Vyrinor: That is why we need to be able to target and attack such scripters/farmers!
    Oh, and loot them too of all their farmed resources and gold.

Sir_Tim, postulio and BillRoy like this.
  16. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

If you teach me how, I will follow you anywhere! :D

What about a scripter/farmer hunter Guild?

BillRoy likes this.
  17. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

@Vyrinor: That sounds like a good virtue for a guild! :D

18. Artariel

Artariel Avatar

#1 rule, Don't copy Trammel or variations

postulio likes this.
  19. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Killing scripters and farmers does nothing so that's a very weak argument. Most people who script see it as a minor issue becuase it's either automated and they simply rez and go back to it or they move locations. Plus, for every one scripter a PKer kills, they also kill 15+ legitimate players who are just out getting supplies.

MagiK, Bowen Bloodgood and AuroraWR like this.
  20. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

@Mystic: Oh no! That would be bad show to PK legitimate players gathering supplies.
    There is no challenge, no honour, in killing unskilled or inequals.
    If, however, bots, goldsellers and scripters are in the game nonetheless, then one should be able to extract a little personal satisfaction and vengeance by killing them!
    MORE POWER TO THE PLAYERS!

Sir_Tim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.