1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Of course, it doesn't dawn on you that even who kicks your butt will now invest in crowns, like you do.

So, it's just an hidden cost in keeping your butt kicked.

Congrats.

2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

That was a great post.

For this reason, in order to prevent players from arbitraging the add-on store, Port is going to have to effectively put a maximum value paid in gold by NPCs for crowns. Meanwhile the value players are willing to pay in gold for crowns will also effectively max out, probably but not necessarily at a higher level than NPC pricing, depending mostly on 1) the supply of crowns that drop in the game and 2) the utility of the crowns.

I'm beginning to see how basic economics will stabilize crowns as a currency and how we might avoid excessive inflation. Any wealth we create out of thin air (like crowns) will be somewhat inflationary but doesn't have to be all that destructive to an economy. Basic economics tells us that some inflation is a good thing - it indicates economic expansion/growth. What you really don't want is deflation. We'll only have that if we start losing our player base. In which case we have bigger problems than just the economy.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  3. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

If Portalarium doesn't sell game gold for a profit someone else will.

Every MMO is P2W.

I would rather Portalarium profit from selling gold instead of some 3rd party or community member.

I fail to understand the outrage. Much like illicit drugs, making them illegal doesn't prevent the sale, usage, or profiteering.

4. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Miracle Dragon likes this.
  5. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

MOBAs are P2W as well. Either directly like LOL, buying heroes, or indirectly like DOTA with cosmetics you MUST own.

Snikorts likes this.
  6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

True. But degree matters, doesn't it? It's a spectrum, as Chris honestly described in his post earlier in this thread. I think that's really important.

7. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

Yes, but It greatly depends on implementation.
    I just dont want to spend most of my time on pointless things.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  8. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

If I go out and kill mobs, I can make 2000 gold in about 20 minutes. I could buy 2 of your crowns with that and extend the life of my armor. On the other hand, in order to make a new armor I would have to mine for many hours, perhaps days. Then crafting same with the chance of destruction. I would be happy to buy all the 1000 price crowns you sell. Their value is not what you price them at, the value is the time they represent. Eventually a crown price will reflect the time and effort people are willing to spend instead of buying one. Perhaps that will be 20,000 gold, 30,000 gold....who knows? At present at 1000 each, I personally will buy all you got and resell later. Killing mobs for 20 minutes to buy your crowns in return for increasing my equipment durability is a no brainer.

10. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

11. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

You can go even further and say that our lives is one huge P2W :)

People will be encouraged to farm crowns and official shop is not preventing black market sell them for real money.

12. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

Better donate your money to charity ;)

13. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Well, bring it on. If you will buy for real dollars 10,000 coins for whatever they are going for, I will buy in game all you can sell at 1 gold or 100 gold. No problem. You see, one person cannot control the economy unless you tap into govt. related activities such as a tax. The money just is not there in the quantities you would need. People would be more than happy to take advantage of the gift you offer.

14. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

Le me be the first to offer to buy 1,000 coins for 1 million gold. I am ready to trade today.

Aldo likes this.
  15. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Get in line lol. I was there first.

16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Dude where is your vendor?
    Im open to relocation btw.

Aldo likes this.
  17. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

"Roper Docholiday, post: 567711, member: 131607"
    from another thread. Showing how the gold coin market will be necessary to maintaining a suit no matter what else happens, if the coin is the only way to repair max durability. Again I am for gold coins in the game but not for repairing armor an in game solution to repairing armor max durability needs to be addressed. The following numbers show why.

to create a epic plate suit of armor this is the raw resource cost. I used the BMC pricing guide as the market value of items we all know some items sell much much more in some locations and a bit less in other locations but for the base of the argument we are using there current market value.

bronze / bronze/ hardened leather epic plate

144 copper ingot = 115,200
    144 tin = 172,800
    16 hides=400
    2 Beatles= 3,000
    42 salt = 336
    misc expenses= 1,000 ie burnt fuels on fails worn out tools etc

total value of just the raw materials to build the suit not including suit creation process is

this is the base epic suit to get a crit which will be needed for the next part is unknown however is it follows suit with other crafting trees at the moment its a 1in 4 chance to crit the item so you will need to make 4 of each piece.

total value of a crit epic plate suit is now 1,170,944

now we add in if we want to make a 2x mastery and 2x enchantment. On average (if statistics stay the same from testing on lower end items is consistent) takes 10 items before you successfully create the 2x2 master/enchantment on the item.
    so the total cost now is 11,709,440

now add 2 gems to the chest piece value varied between 3,000 to 6,000 a piece.

this number 11,709,440 gold for a full suit does not include
    weapon and/ or shield
    necklace/ summoning whistles
    ring
    cloak
    belt
    instrument

i have no intention of breaking those parts down for this lesson here. however safe to say that is another large chunk of change there as well. just to make numbers here real easy to add up i will round the value listed above to the next whole number

12,000,000 total value of just material cost that is still with 0 profit to the crafter who is making this suit.

what do you think the time it took to create that suit is worth? ill let you decide how or what you pay your crafter with.

now according to the dev hangout i last listened to please correct me if i am wrong that the game expects the avg player to be able to make 250 gold per hour is the expectation. That number was also used on how to determine the taxes a player would spend on housing.

so if i divide 12 million by 250 an hour comes out to 48,000 hours, or 2000 days, or just shy of 5 1/2 years of playing non stop around the clock.

so lets go back to even the base epic plate suit at 292,736 that is also 1,171 hours of game play to pay for that not counting crafter fee.

the suit does not even last 3 days. with moderate grinding not even close to the type of grinding you would be doing to try to make 250 gold an hour.

with this system in the current status crafters will not be able to survive. the limited amount of players that are willing to pay the high crown cost to save a suit is far less than those not willing to buy crowns. this pushes more players to just buy npc armor for a cheap rate to throw away every 2 or 3 days.

For my friends and myself who were into creating elite and god type armor currently do not believe that it can every be a financially sound market to do so. we are currently moving over to just buying npc armor and crafting deco at least its value is permanent and wont disappear or be broken in a week.

damn sorry guys once @DarkStarr or @Chris read this deco will have a decay rate as well. It would only be fair as it wears out as well over time.

18. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

Haha, while I agree in theory what the seller wishes to do, I just don't think it can be done.

Aldo likes this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

How much damage does a painting really take? We have some in our family well over a hundred years old.

A shield getting wacked on by a mace all day on the other hand.

Bow Vale likes this.
  20. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

roflmao it was a joke reference but hey i dont sit on a couch that's 10 years old either nor is my stove, washer, etc even my house each year has a cost to maintain but in the end it was a joke. That armor is not the only crafting thing in the game but armor was the only part on the chopping block as what drives the economy.

KuBaTRiZeS and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.