Moving to Twitch for livestreams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

what functionality, Twitch literally adds nothing new but the paid subscriber feature. All other features I see being brought up can done on the current platform using YouTube's built in functionality and 3rd party apps that can integrate with it.

2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is definitely worth considering! And we can do this if we do still go with Twitch for the telethon.

Lady Adnor and Womby like this.
  3. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I still do not understand why you see it as a better platform for livestreaming based on all that I have said in my posts. What can Twitch do that no other platform, including YouTube, can do? My lists of information show that Twitch is not the better platform in most areas. Marketshare is the only area it is better and that is due to name recognition in regards to the top streamers of the world.

Give me a list showing where Twitch can do things Youtube and other platforms can't do as well. I have been able to consistently give lists of reasons against the change. From the fact that the HTML5 one hasnt reached public rollout, to the fact that Youtube offers greater, wider, and better choices in dealing with latency for those with bad internet, as well as the fact that giveaway stuff can be done on youtube just as well using the same type of 3rd party apps.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Link_of_Hyrule, Aldo, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Google Chrome has never given me any problems when watching Twitch - I think its Flash plugin is embedded, so if you're having a problem viewing it may be something else on your computer that's blocking Flash.

Time Lord and Golem Dragon like this.
  5. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I do not like Flash. I do not like social media. I am highly aware that our audience is international in scope and I hope Berek realizes this as well. However, as he is the new Community Manager, it's his prerogative to change platform for content delivery, so my comments are an attempt to make it viable for both worlds, old audience and new.

Aldo, FrostII, Sophi and 4 others like this.
  6. Womby

Womby Avatar

Yes. Me. I'm blocking Flash. I have purged it completely and successfully, because it is a security nightmare.

Link_of_Hyrule, Ronan, Aldo and 10 others like this.
  7. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

flash is purged from all my computers too. :)

Link_of_Hyrule, Ronan, Aldo and 7 others like this.
  8. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

why multistreaming is at least a viable way to keep the peace, but changing the primary one to one that limits people due to many of the issues I have listed as well as the fact that twitch is blocked by many businesses so employees cant even listen to them is not cool.

FrostII, Sophi, Acred and 2 others like this.
  9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

fantalio likes this.
  10. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

FrostII, Sophi and Womby like this.
  11. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

You know.. We were not talking how we hate Twitch... Just that it is old tech and uses an almost always out of date unsecure program to watch with.
    This thread has trailed quite a bit in a very short period of time.

Archer, FrostII, Umbrae and 3 others like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

13. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

oooh an article I havent seen... I love it when i can get my hands on more data and views to help keep me from being myopic. This is why having this discussion about the flaws and benefits of platforms is so good. It helps the community and dev team make better choices so that we can grow and evolve and do what is best for us all. if anyone has questions about Youtube streaming, Markee Dragon is one community member who can vouch for Youtube gaming quality and the tools and functionality.

FrostII and Sophi like this.
  14. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

That means Twitch is giving Google a run for their money! :D

As a gamer and SotA backer, I like that Portalarium is using our money to stand up services with proven, funded, gamer-centric targeted service providers. Twitch is the livestream standard for gamers; setting up a Twitch channel only adds to Portalarium's street credit. Twitch is big and connected and it's where the gamers are. And it works. I don't think anyone disagrees that HTML5 is superior to Flash - but it's not like Google Chrome doesn't support it by embedding it directly into their browser and making sure it's up to date with all the security patches.

15. Berek

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

@Berek;

It appears that the decision to move to Twitch has already been made. Why not simply say so and be done?

17. Berek

Hmm? We did, we mentioned that Twitch will be a platform for our future livestreaming efforts. That isn't to say that we are shutting out the community's ideas on possible other platforms though. That would be a mistake.

Skizz, Sophi and Time Lord like this.
  18. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

I want YouTube!

Derium, FrostII, Sophi and 4 others like this.
  19. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

yeah really the only thing Twitch has going for it is the market share it has, which while smaller then it used to be, is still a massive amount of gamers, and the name recognition. Until I am given proof however of any tech or other areas of which Twitch is better. The fact of the matter is, you will reach more people via youtube, as well as avoid the biggest problems of security and latency issues. I simply cannot see a legit reason to change what is the primary one... The bare minimum they should do is keep Youtube the primary and just multistream so it goes to both Youtube and Twitch. If we can get a confirmation on that, I would consider this thread done then.

Aldo, FrostII, Sophi and 2 others like this.
  20. agra

agra Avatar

Great. Here's an idea:
    Please mult-icast this event via YouTube or some other free HTML5 (Non-Flash) streaming service, in addition to whatever other streaming solution you have decided on.

4EverLost, Aldo, FrostII and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.