Worst form of travel ever the World Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morbeous, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Portalarium has said they are worried that fast travel will destroy regional economies so we are unlikely to ever see it.

As far as moongates go, there are three Lunar Rifts on Novia, so we have a limited version of them.

JemAs and Black Tortoise like this.
  2. Derium

Derium Avatar

World map is AWESOME.

Spending 50% of your time playing this game looking at a loading screen is HORRIBLE.

I clearly have mixed feelings.

P.S. If this game came out when PS1 came out, I wouldn't care about loading screens. But we live in an age when if a YouTube video takes longer than 3 seconds to fully load, we go watch a different video.

Black Tortoise and Ancev like this.
  3. Gix

Gix Avatar

Funny you say that because I stayed away from the Playstation when it first came out. As a PC user, the only advantage that consoles had was its near-instant loading with cartridges and they've gone and replaced it with a CD-ROM.

I'll gladly wait for a youtube video if I know that I'm going to get something good out of it. I've already tried the overworld and it's a giant "meh". This is coming from a guy who's "okay" with the concept, but the execution is severely lacking.

Derium likes this.
  4. Derium

Derium Avatar

Side note: Rumor has it the next Nintendo console will be a cart, not a disk. I would gladly pay more per game to not have to every wait for it to load.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  5. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

It would be nice if the chat window persisted during load times so at least you could chat with people while waiting. Not during login/logout but while you're entering or exiting a zone, or teleporting, recalling, etc. (I seem to recall shadowbane having this feature but .. I can't quite remember)

Couldin, Zader and Derium like this.
  6. Derium

Derium Avatar

I agree 100%! SO many times I wished I could look at my skill tree too. Gives me some time to plan my skills and see how close I am to needing to train some up.

Hell, I'd settle for a mini-game of bejewled too.

Black Tortoise and Ancev like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

...except for those Recall and Teleport spells that have unlimited range, unlimited use, zero cooldowns and can easily bypass Control Points. :rolleyes:

Which reminds me...more fast travel options via COTOs in 3...2...

I think they should add more Lunar Rifts, with perhaps skills / items (cough COTO cough) that can manipulate or control them vs. waiting for lunar cycles to match your desired location. It would mitigate the overloaded "friends" in your Friends list just for teleporting, as well as have more options for travel in SPO and offline.

8. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Are your (and other's) load times really that slow that you'd have time to chat while waiting...or did the sarcasm/joke go over my head? My load times are generally a cpl. of seconds at worst, and I do not have a very "high-end" computer, with a mediocre DSL connection.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4) System RAM: 16328
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 GPU RAM: 1969

9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I thought they were consumable scrolls, not unlimited use.

10. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

You must be lucky. They're well over a couple of seconds for me and I'd guess the majority of people. It takes more than a couple of seconds before anything even happens. I'm using solid state drives too, which should be the biggest performance difference for load times.

11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

After one week of running around over world occasionally, I no longer have an issue getting lost in the over world.

I mean, it took me up to 15 mins to go from one corner to the opposite including cruising through control points.

It's not that bad once you get used to it. Plus the roving encounters will make it more worthwhile to run around over world soon.

Derium likes this.
  12. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

It just took me 20 seconds to exit deep ravenswood.. if I go through 100 zone exits in a gaming session that's a half hour of waiting. If the chat window was persistent I'm sure people would appreciate having the ability to carry on conversations during that time.

Black Tortoise and Derium like this.
  13. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

I am not good with computers at all, and what I have, and how it's set up was on the advice of others -- but I have a Solid State Drive, which has the Windows OS on it, and all the other "stuff" that comes pre-loaded on a ready-made computer...but I have a separate 1TB hard-drive (not Solid-State), on which the games are kept, and I was told that would make the games run better (by having them separate). Again, I have no clue whether that was accurate information or not, but just adding the information, as it is not listed in the "specs" from the earlier post.

I have noticed from observing my nieces and nephews, that most younger people seem to need to have a bunch of "windows" and things running on their computer all at the same time, and I tend to do one thing at a time...if I need to check emails or look something up on a Wiki, etc., I log out of the game, and then back in when I am done -- don't know if that has much affect, but it seems like it may since the computer has a limited amount of resources, so the more "stuff" it's trying to do the more "load" that is being put on it...but again I consider myself to be "computer illiterate", so I may be way off-target.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Derium likes this.
  14. Birko

Birko Avatar

Maps are over rated. Explore. ;)

15. smack

smack Avatar

Right -- unlimited such that if you have 100 scrolls, you can use them up as fast as you want vs dictated by some cooldown, game system (e.g. astronomy / astrology), weather, distance, etc.

16. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

While we're at it, instead of using skills to kill monsters, can I just have a kill button so we don't have to deal with that silly process of combat? Then just teleport to the next mob. So it's kill, teleport, kill, teleport, kill, teleport to town, sell. Actually, can we just sell things from anywhere in the world?

Celthon likes this.
  17. Derium

Derium Avatar

I have a really high end computer (I use it for 4k video editing for my business). My load times are normally around half a minute, sometimes as many as 2 or 3 minutes. Why do you think I'm posting on the forums so much tonight? I'm doing it while waiting for the game to load between zones =/

Ordovicia likes this.
  18. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

Your games should be on the SSD, not the 1TB HDD. The HDD should be for storage, such as pictures, video and music. You shouldn't need to close a game to browse a website, the computer should have PLENTY of memory to handle keeping browser windows open while playing the game. Computers are made for multitasking and should be able to be used as such. Also, it's not a younger person thing, it's people that use a computers a lot. If I tried to do my job and close things when I wanted to do something else I'd spend half my day opening and closing programs.

Black Tortoise and Derium like this.
  19. Derium

Derium Avatar

Mage with teleport/cloth speed increase for fast between mobs. Hunt only near a zone you have a house placed in, have your second account idle near a vendor.

Steps:
    1. Murder everything while blinking or running super fast
    2. Teleport to your idle second account when bags are full
    3. Recall back to your house
    4. Start from step 1 again

That's the best I can figure out for you <3

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Can't wait until we get to explore the oceans.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.